Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:27 AM

106,700 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

no exchange used ,basically i eat anything low in carbs ,sugar ,fat and salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 07:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no exchange used ,basically i eat anything low in carbs ,sugar ,fat and salt.
I thought the latest research on diabetes suggests a more robust approach to use of fat, for example (good fats) and less emphasis on salt reduction (just keeping it at normal range) and fairly high allowance for proteins and unprocessed carbs.

Have you experimented with blood sugar readings after a hearty breakfast?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:42 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I put 2 teaspoons in my first cup of coffee. I also use coconut oil to cook my eggs, when I do that method. I like poaching my eggs.

The days of demonizing oils is over. Using olive oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil and flax seed oil is a good thing. I just spend several months this last year reading up on all that.

And since we are talking about oils, here is something I am researching: The Budwig protocol for cancer treatment, and it uses flax seed oil.

Budwig Diet Center - Natural Alternative Treatment For Degenerative Diseases And Tumor Activity

Now, I am not saying all cancer can be cured through nutrition. But for MYSELF, I found this very interesting simply because I love cottage cheese and think the research on how various substances affect us at a CELLULAR level is worth studying.

The cottage cheese with flax seed mixture is something I have started using as a base for such things as crab dip. Since I like it and do think the flax seed is helpful at a biologic level in the body, why not?
Bada Bing!

Old 09-20-2014, 07:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
I thought the latest research on diabetes suggests a more robust approach to use of fat, for example (good fats) and less emphasis on salt reduction (just keeping it at normal range) and fairly high allowance for proteins and unprocessed carbs.

Have you experimented with blood sugar readings after a hearty breakfast?
In my own research, the best approach to managing diabetes is by Dr. Neal Barnard. Even for those with sugar problems who are not officially diabetic.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:12 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,225,468 times
Good timing for this thread since have been on a self improvement project the last few months. A pair of Ws is the core; water and walking. Dehydration has long been a problem for myself, with major physical and emotional issues when not enough plain old water is consumed.

Long walks, with increasing distance and speed a big help. Do not dawdle, always kick it into high gear. Rather amusing to myself in that often go zooming around young adults one half or even one third my own age. The goal is to "Get in shape so can get in shape." There is a local gym chain, only avaiable in a few states, that is geared just for those 50+ that I intend to join. Before hitting the iron would like to increase my stamina and fitness a bit.

As for nutrition, more a matter of what not to consume rather than what to add. Have found out the hard way over several years that artificial sweeteners do a number on me. Recent research has confirmed how bad they are. Have long been very fond of diet soda, and when I consume them a price must be payed. The rest, the usual common sense advice; cut down on the sugar, refined flour, processed foods, etc.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
What are you doing to increase stamina or to keep your blood sugar levels stable?
I take Metformin. Also, I used to take vitamins very sporadically, Now, I load them into a weekly plastic pill box along with the drugs I have to take, so I get them daily. I see a difference.

I watch the caffeine intake and try to avoid it, especially hidden in drinks. It's hard on my legs.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:13 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Ani...you have thanked almost every poster...you are an example of congeniality.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In my own research, the best approach to managing diabetes is by Dr. Neal Barnard. Even for those with sugar problems who are not officially diabetic.
I have read many of his articles, check in on his blog periodically. Have not read any of his books.

Good suggestion for folks to check out. Different methods and approaches work for different people.

Dr. Barnard and I do not share the same philosophy about fats in the diet (for diabetes management, or otherwise).

Old 09-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Good timing for this thread since have been on a self improvement project the last few months. A pair of Ws is the core; water and walking. Dehydration has long been a problem for myself, with major physical and emotional issues when not enough plain old water is consumed.

Long walks, with increasing distance and speed a big help. Do not dawdle, always kick it into high gear. Rather amusing to myself in that often go zooming around young adults one half or even one third my own age. The goal is to "Get in shape so can get in shape." There is a local gym chain, only avaiable in a few states, that is geared just for those 50+ that I intend to join. Before hitting the iron would like to increase my stamina and fitness a bit.

As for nutrition, more a matter of what not to consume rather than what to add. Have found out the hard way over several years that artificial sweeteners do a number on me. Recent research has confirmed how bad they are. Have long been very fond of diet soda, and when I consume them a price must be payed. The rest, the usual common sense advice; cut down on the sugar, refined flour, processed foods, etc.
I agree - so good to hear what others are doing, researching, what has worked for them, what they have changed, etc.

There are recent peer reviewed studies about the dangers of artificial sweeteners. I have been slamming the use of Aspartame since the late 80s and experienced some real backlash when I posted articles about it being a terrible substance that the body cannot metabolize properly. In fact, while publishing a magazine, I was chastised by my board for a long article I had researched on the side effects of Aspartame. They said I was causing confusion for patients with diabetes who were struggling to manage their sugar intake (by, in their opinion, my demonizing Aspartame).

Every time a new study is released, I feel vindicated, albeit 30 years after-the-fact . . .

Here is the latest report, which focuses on the effect of artificial sweeteners on "gut health."

Study: Artificial Sweeteners May Trigger Blood Sugar Risks

Old 09-20-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ani...you have thanked almost every poster...you are an example of congeniality.
I am so appreciative that folks would take their time out to contribute their thoughts and their experiences and advice!

I think we have the nicest group of folks posting on this forum . . . typically very cordial, caring and respectful to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement