Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
She was a strong, independent woman who supported her three children after her husband died in 1917.
I'm not impressed at anyone living to 100+, but ^^^ was quite the accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 09:06 AM

282 posts, read 382,298 times
I don't plan on living past 99 years old... LOL
My father is 80 years old and doing well, not perfect; but doing well.
Many people in my family history (4 generations) have lived into their 90's, so that is my goal.

But as the typical life expectancy increases, we need to change things like retirement age, social security, etc. to reflect this. And everybody should save for their older years, no matter if that is 70's or 90's.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I do not either. As we see in world its likely two difference. Good cultural habits such as eating or the miracles of modern medicine. Many still die young in this world from such things as lack of clean water or diseases medicine can cure or control. Access and use of modern medicine plays a large part .I can remember when they did exploratory surgery for cancer and sewed those with it backup when found.I remember parents terror of Polio epidemic.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:48 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Sure we might end up living longer due to advances in medicine but we're not exactly aging any slower.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:40 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Scrutinizing the very old has not been the gold mine some researchers hoped it would be. “Lifestyle studies of centenarians can be really puzzling,” Kennedy says. “They smoke more and drink less than we might guess. Few are vegetarians. Nothing jumps out as a definitive cause of their long lives.”
It says right there in the good book, respect your parents and you will have a long life on the Earth. There's nothing more to it. This generation is disrespecting theirs and look at how they're all dying young.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
How many young people do you actually know? Most Millennials work their ass off. I admit I'm a lazy person myself, but the vast majority of people my age work their tail at jobs for less than they deserve, or go to college and get degrees that often end up not doing them much good.
I know lots and they work hard, BUT they don't get good exercise. You gotta get that heart rate up now and again. They are watching a screen all the time. Even when they walk down the street, they are glued. There could be a beautiful bald eagle flying by and they wouldn't know anything about it. Sad in a way, but it is here to stay. I truly believe it is a much lower quality of life. I have seen three generations and since the Internet, quality is much lower.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:40 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
My father's parents died in their early 60's. He retired at 55 expecting to have maybe 10 more years. He began exercising, for the first time in his life. He exercised well into his 80's, biking and jogging, quitting when he went blind. He died 6 weeks short of his 96th birthday.
You never know how long you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement