Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I like being alone.

I usually go places by myself, too.
I do too! I love my solitary road trips and I've had some really good vacations all by myself. Every time I take someone with me I'm reminded of that too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:46 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Default Just for fun...

Thought I'd post my last two days just to show WHY I don't get lonely or bored.

Tuesday:
Several days dishes done and kitchen cleaned up
Bathroom cleaned and floor mopped
Baked bread and Orange Cranberry bread
Fried some chicken for meals during the week
Cleaned 10 gal. fish tank...including everything IN it to the bare walls
Took mom to the lab for blood work, pre surgery
Picked up MORE windfall apples that aren't worth keeping and trashed them

Easy day and didn't feel like doing anything else.

Wednesday:
Kitchen again and fridge
Groc. shopping
Laundry, including bedding and throw rugs
Vacuumed entire house
Mopped kitchen floor
Made a nice big stew in the crockpot
Boiled a pan of potatoes to use for potato salad, etc during the week
Made a carrot, raisin, pineapple salad

There might be a couple more things in there but I don't remember. lol Anyway, this is how I generally spend my days off. Oh yeah, cleaned up all mine and Mom's trash and put the can out for early pick up tomorrow. I only cook once a week, on my days off, because I sure don't feel up to it after working all day. And Mom gets some of it.

Who has time to be lonely???? Or bored???? lol And even with all this I've spent plenty of time online between "chores". I love my life!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:27 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I remember feeling the feeling of loneliness about 10 min in my late 20s, Easter Sunday...
The town was dead...nothing open.
I observed it like observing an ant for the first time...fascinating.
Then, ok, moving on...

I love myself, I adore the Divine Presence, my studying of spiritual things, love my little pets and the
feral cats that depend on me twice a day, my artwork and volunteering.

But, mostly, Netflix.

I'm sorry anyone feels lonely ... the heart can be filled without people...
but without thought control...the emotions can go just 'anywhere'.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I dated a man a few times who said he would be embarrassed to go to the movies alone. Since I've gone to movies many many times alone, I thought it was somewhat pathetic that he felt that way. I don't mind being alone. So far as staying in constant communication with anyone, I don't. I don't think I've ever been in contact with anyone the way my granddaughter and her husband are. When one of them leaves they are almost immediately on the phone to each other. It was that way from the time they met until now, which is several years later.

My cell phone stays in the car and is only for emergencies. No one knows the number because it's never turned on. My daughter and I email each other and my son and I talk on the phone regularly. The 2 granddaughters email regularly and keep me up on what they are doing. We all see each other usually on birthdays. I play bridge with friends and make art. I stay busy.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
One of the joys of my life is going to the movies alone!!
I have a lot of confidence...I walk into bars alone and get a drink.

BUT I do remember my first time alone at a movie...I must have been 28 ish....during the day...
a John Waters movie, Polyester?

Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We come to expect loneliness with seniors but for children to be experiencing this is really terrible. All these electronic devices were supposed to keep us all "connected' but it looks like they are isolating us even more.

What are you doing to keep loneliness from killing you?

The Age of Loneliness Is Killing Us | Alternet
I never get lonely. Love love love my alone time, and always have. Guess I am another lucky one!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
So the people who are lonely are not speaking up nor posting on this thread.....

The article is not about how electronic devices have caused social isolation. The author mentions the digital age, but only in passing. I know the OP just mentioned digital devices in passing too, not as the main point of the article.

The article focuses on how people have become increasingly distant and remote from each other due to the structure of some modern societies. People using their individual cars which can produce isolation. Urban sprawl where people do not walk. More people than ever before living alone. Loss of a sense of community. People wanting wealth or fame over other life factors.

The author's premise is that it is not as easy for people to emotionally connect with each other for friendship or acquaintance or beyond as it once was.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-15-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 12:35 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
It's funny how, for a group of professed loners, here you all are, socializing about how much of a loner you are.

It just goes to show you that we're all gregarious by nature and no matter how much of a loner you think you are, you still come here to mingle with others - even if only in cyberspace.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I'm a writer and a loner by nature. I'm happy watching the grass grow. If anything, electronics have helped keep me in the loop.
I think I'm in love!

I'm also a writer and a hard-core introvert. I love, love, LOVE being alone. There's so much to do and so many things to learn.

Frankly, I find people very frightening and crowds make me break out in a rash. Plus, I'm highly allergic to little children.

Everyone is wired differently and I prefer my own company!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:56 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
Like others here, I enjoy being alone much of the time. My job requires me to be in almost constant contact with tons of people all day long. On days off, I love being alone. I read, I cook, I garden, I clean, I sit on the deck and watch the clouds. it is extremely relaxing.

I also love to travel alone sometimes. I recently drove down to coastal GA for 4 days and I had a marvelous time. Of course, I still do enjoy visiting with my family and my friends from time to time. Balance is what it is all about for me. Some alone time, some social time. Life is always best for me with balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement