Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 04:36 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,636 times

Advertisements

Five weeks ago I applied online to receive my social security benefits. I read where I would be receiving a phone call from them regarding my application. It was also stated that I'd receive a letter when benefits are approved. As of yet I haven't heard back from social security. I've been to the website to check, I've left messages at the local social security office but no reply. I'm wondering if this is normal and how long does it take to hear back from them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 04:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,024,595 times
I think you should have heard by now. Make an appointment to actually see someone or talk to a real person on the phone.

I was applying for Widow's Benefits so I had to go in person. It took about three weeks to get the confirmation in the mail.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
When I did it over two years ago I just made appointment on line and gathered documents needed. My wife did everything but documents needed on line which she made a appointment to bring. Both of us left knowing all detiails.It was at requested three month before turning 65. At dates given first check where deposited.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
When I did it over two years ago I just made appointment on line and gathered documents needed. My wife did everything but documents needed on line which she made a appointment to bring. Both of us left knowing all detiails.It was at requested three month before turning 65. At dates given first check where deposited.
Thanks,

I've provided them with all the documents. Many of the documents they already had from when I applied for medicare. The only other document they needed was my DD form 214 for proof of military service.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:39 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,613,851 times
FWIW, when I made on-line app in May this year for benefits to start in Aug (birth month) with 1st check in Sept, it was 12 weeks from May 13 to Aug 5 to receive the "Notice of Award" letter. The confirming phone call came in 1 day , May 14. The paper copy of application came May 24. I sent DD214 on May 15. Award letter came Aug 5.

In between I was checking the on-line Status of Claim webpage, and made calls to both the local and Nat'l 800# All they would do is confirm receipt of application, and say to wait another 30 days. ISTM that all claims wait until the last minute to be actually processed.

BTW, the initial award was in error. I was applying at age 70 for delayed credit. The initial award was for the regular age 66 FRA amount. Filing an appeal took 2 months to correct.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:04 AM

538 posts, read 538,346 times
I also applied online 3 months early (Feb 2014) for SS benefits at 62, and didn't hear for the longest time. Once the online application was filed, I could not determine the status through the online site. I finally reached someone by phone in SS in early April, they said that SS waits about a month before your birthday and sends out the letter. I received mine in mid April (about 5 weeks before my birthday) stating the monthly amount and when the first check would be deposited.

Your check will get deposited depending on when your birthday falls. My birthday is late in the month and my check gets deposited on the 4th Wed. Remember that the check you receive is always for the previous month.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
I also applied online 3 months early (Feb 2014) for SS benefits at 62, and didn't hear for the longest time. Once the online application was filed, I could not determine the status through the online site. I finally reached someone by phone in SS in early April, they said that SS waits about a month before your birthday and sends out the letter. I received mine in mid April (about 5 weeks before my birthday) stating the monthly amount and when the first check would be deposited.

Your check will get deposited depending on when your birthday falls. My birthday is late in the month and my check gets deposited on the 4th Wed. Remember that the check you receive is always for the previous month.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply...

My birthday is at the end of this month. My real concern is with the deduction of the medicare part B from my social security. I started medicare at 65 but since I wasn't receiving social security I had to pay for the part B. I received 2 bills but when the 3rd quarterly payment was due, nothing came. I had to go to the social security office and even they couldn't get it straightened out with medicare. Ultimately I sent a check to pay up to when social security would be deducted. The system should be called Social Insecurity.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 AM

538 posts, read 538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Thanks for the reply...

My birthday is at the end of this month. My real concern is with the deduction of the medicare part B from my social security. I started medicare at 65 but since I wasn't receiving social security I had to pay for the part B. I received 2 bills but when the 3rd quarterly payment was due, nothing came. I had to go to the social security office and even they couldn't get it straightened out with medicare. Ultimately I sent a check to pay up to when social security would be deducted. The system should be called Social Insecurity.

As I'm sure you know, the 2015 deduction for Medicare is $104.90. There may have been an overlap between when the quarter ended and when you started to receive your SS checks. I hope they have it corrected before your next check. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
I agree about going to the s/s office and speaking with a rep. I did that a full six months before I was to reach full retirement age, got all the preliminary paperwork taken care of right away. There was no delay in getting my first check as promised.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,900,579 times
Even if worst comes to worst and your first check is delayed beyond when you were supposed to receive it, Social Security will make up that payment to you, so that in the long run you will receive everything due to you.

That happens to me every year; I have a small amount of earnings each year which replace one of the zeroes in the 35-year earnings averaging, resulting in a very small increase in my monthly benefit. The increase was $3 per month for 2014. I'll see that increase retroactively in my December check.

But in the case of people starting their benefits, it is more likely to be on time, provided that application was made on time.

It can be frustrating trying to get information, especially if your case is unusual. When I enrolled in Medicare at age 65, I was already receiving Social Security retirement, for which I had applied early at 62. The monthly Medicare Part B premium was larger than my Social Security payment, so the SS benefit was suspended (quite normal and expected). But I couldn't get anyone to tell me how I was supposed to pay to balance. I should have just sat back and relaxed (it was their problem) because eventually I was billed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement