Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

Discovered smallsjazzclub.com in NYC has live webcasting of jazz bands performing every night!

It's just like being in a small NYC jazz club live every night. fantastic jazz bands as they are performing live!

absolutely love it. One just goes to smallsjazzclub.com and signs in making your own id & password

and then click on Live Video. Saturday Dec 27 they're having a fantastic jazz band for a 2nd night, the Ken Leptowski Quartet which is out of this world great! Saw them tonight & loved them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 12:00 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Writing -- I've always been a writer but now I'm taking it more seriously. Photography, bonsai, cooking, flyfishing and road trips give my things to write about.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:51 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
We recently retired "up north" & hubby & I are going to take up cross country skiing since we live in a golf course community and the golf course becomes the ski area right in our back yard on the 12th green!!

...also finally have the time to work on jigsaw puzzles I never had time for when I worked
....love to cook so now I have more time for that too
....more time for couponing when going to the grocery store
....just recently discovered CD had this forum and is more than the city information I thought it was when I joined

Old 12-27-2014, 04:00 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
marilyn and i developed a passion for photography.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:09 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I discovered the art of painting old wood furniture and have gotten better and better. The next door neighbor was moving and gave me an old wooden armoire in his garage, with paint cans in it. I repainted it in shabby chic style and antiqued it and it's in my living room now.

I go to Good Will stores weekly and buy cheap old furniture . Am learning about chalk paint and waxing on line so I can expand my craft ! Having a ball. Might start selling some pieces too.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:27 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Boy are you people talented and intellectually curious! I feel somewhat dull for not having the chops to chime in with something more exciting than what I have.

Frankly, I'm exhausted and my brain has been strung out for what seems like the past 30 years. Just keeping it together enough to send the kids through school has required absolute concentration, and I am fried. Wish I could get me one of those "Senior Advisor" jobs, where all I'd have to do is opine and lend gravitas to the program meetings while keeping one ear open.

When I retire, I am going to move out to the country (or at least to a very small town), take it easy, and get a big dog that requires walking three times a day, an hour a pop. Great way to explore the area, on foot. Also, having a nice, big working dog for company guarantees that the walk has some merit. Plus, working dogs are very intelligent - it's a hoot to "see" the world through their senses.

The only thing that separates me from the "sit-in-the chair" retirees is that I'll be walking three hours a day. I'm afraid that I will not be the life of the party, if I ever get invited to one again, lol! Congrats to you all!

Old 12-30-2014, 02:06 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Swimming for health: picked that up again in mid-50's, after doing very little since I was a kid. Part of an increasing focus on health and fitness.

Walking for pleasure and exercise and sunshine.

What is going away or diminishing? TV watching.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:50 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
About 10 years ago I learned to build Custom Fly rods. It ended up being a little business that got too busy. We took up snow shoeing and already hiked, then glass slumping and fusing. Like a poster above we bought a 1929 Model A, and joined a club. Then came another one. We do a lot with the car club and car shows. Then came an antique ford pickup, so I guess we are now collectors. the old cars are fun to drive and work on, and we have met some really nice people through our Model A club.
I retire in 5 months and will have plenty to keep me busy!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
About 10 years ago I learned to build Custom Fly rods. It ended up being a little business that got too busy. We took up snow shoeing and already hiked, then glass slumping and fusing. Like a poster above we bought a 1929 Model A, and joined a club. Then came another one. We do a lot with the car club and car shows. Then came an antique ford pickup, so I guess we are now collectors. the old cars are fun to drive and work on, and we have met some really nice people through our Model A club.
I retire in 5 months and will have plenty to keep me busy!
The antique cars sound absolutely fantastic! That's something I would have enjoyed, but one can only go in so many directions and at age 70 I am not inclined to start something that intense and involved. Kudos to you, my friend!

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default One more thing

It was five or six years ago, but after retirement, that I discovered the Los Angeles Master Chorale. Although I have long enjoyed the kind of music they perform, I had never heard this marvelous group, which must be one of the finest professional chorales in the world. And Disney Concert Hall with its world class acoustics is the perfect home for them. I quickly became a subscriber.

This is not a major activity in terms of time commitment (7 or 8 subscription concerts a year plus one or two "specials" which lie outside of the subscription series) but it sure qualifies as a passion.

There is a wide world out there and there is so much offered. I regret that I didn't make that particular discovery years sooner, but better late than never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement