Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 12:27 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Illicit sex behind the bushes?
Please. In public only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
<snip> Like the Cocoa Beach area, we've had some tell us it's great, while others say it's the "Redneck Riviera" and isolated from shopping and medical services..... <snip>
Interesting. As a girl who grew up eating MiracleWhip and store brand processed white bread (we couldn't afford Wonder bread) MrRational's comment did not offend me in the least. But the casual use of the term "Redneck Riviera" really p'ed me off. You wouldn't want to live among the Florida Crackers, now would you? Go to The Villages. You won't find the rednecks living there, that's for sure.

*Proud daughter of a real Florida Cracker*

Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
There are so many Floridas. It depends on your interests. We lived in Vero Beach for 5 to 6 years but it started to close in on us. Now we snowbird in Northeast Florida, next year will be our 4th year doing so, and we love it. We love the younger vibe, we love the vibrancy of being near a big city with great restaurants and we love the feeling of winter without the bite. We just drove over to the Tampa area to see if we were missing anything and the only thing we were missing was the Tampa traffic. We stayed for 4 days and explored St. Pete, Clearwater and Dunedin, all nice places to visit, but returning to Jacksonville area was like coming home for us. What do you want? Hot all the time? Beaches? Shopping? Arts? Do you want to be with all older people or a mixed age area? Winter Park is nice if you like a cosmopolitan feel but don't need a beach.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:45 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
There are so many Floridas. It depends on your interests. We lived in Vero Beach for 5 to 6 years but it started to close in on us. Now we snowbird in Northeast Florida, next year will be our 4th year doing so, and we love it. We love the younger vibe, we love the vibrancy of being near a big city with great restaurants and we love the feeling of winter without the bite. We just drove over to the Tampa area to see if we were missing anything and the only thing we were missing was the Tampa traffic. We stayed for 4 days and explored St. Pete, Clearwater and Dunedin, all nice places to visit, but returning to Jacksonville area was like coming home for us. What do you want? Hot all the time? Beaches? Shopping? Arts? Do you want to be with all older people or a mixed age area? Winter Park is nice if you like a cosmopolitan feel but don't need a beach.
Just wondering -- other than a younger demographic and less traffic what does Jacksonville offer that the Tampa/St. Pete area does not?

Old 03-04-2015, 03:59 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Interesting. As a girl who grew up eating MiracleWhip and store brand processed white bread (we couldn't afford Wonder bread) MrRational's comment did not offend me in the least. But the casual use of the term "Redneck Riviera" really p'ed me off. You wouldn't want to live among the Florida Crackers, now would you? Go to The Villages. You won't find the rednecks living there, that's for sure.

*Proud daughter of a real Florida Cracker*
Sorry that p'd you off. I was repeating/relating the "casual use" that I have heard/red at least dozens of times, not inventing the label myself. My point in fact was that it's very subjective what's "nice" and what, err, ain't.

You've never heard this name for the panhandle coast?

Being called "Redneck" offends you? Where I'm from it's a label most are proud of, lol, so really I meant no harm. And where I'm from, I'm a cracker too. lol

And MrRational's comment did not offend me in the least either. As a girl who still eats Miracle Whip and white bread when the mood strikes me. His comment made me giggle.

I guess I didn't make my point clearly--which is, that answering the question of this thread is inherently difficult because each of us wants different things, comes from different places, and is looking for different things...It's hard to figure out by asking. We have to go visit to know whether a place suits our particular palate.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
Sorry that p'd you off. I was repeating/relating the "casual use" that I have heard/red at least dozens of times, not inventing the label myself. <snip>

I guess I didn't make my point clearly--which is, that answering the question of this thread is inherently difficult because each of us wants different things, comes from different places, and is looking for different things...It's hard to figure out by asking. We have to go visit to know whether a place suits our particular palate.
Fair enough, but if you move to Florida, please, please don't use the term "Redneck Riviera".

Old 03-04-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Just wondering -- other than a younger demographic and less traffic what does Jacksonville offer that the Tampa/St. Pete area does not?
Access to 'the beaches', good restaurants, golf, good shopping, friendliest people and diversity, all with an uncomplicated traffic flow. More... Mayport shrimp, ocean beaches with waves and breezes not to mention seasonal fluctuations.These things might not matter to some people but I hate the greeny/blue hue of the flat gulf water. More... Some of the best medical centers like Mayo, St. Vincents, Baptist and Shands. If I keep thinking, I'll keep typing so that's it for now.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:57 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,787,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
We currently live in the D.C. area and are contemplating retirement in FL. We've been to many parts of the State (except for the northern gulf coast) and have come to believe that the southern gulf coast is the best for retirees -- laid back, less developed than the Atlantic side, relatively inexpensive costs of living, beautiful beaches, and with a high proportion of 55+ population.

The only thing holding us back from making a final decision is the fear of hurricanes and hurricane evacuations in particular. Having said that, I understand the north Atlantic coast is least likely to get hit by one.
There is no need to worry about hurricanes.

There is a need to prepare for one-and you will have plenty of warning.

Yes you might have to evacuate.

If this is your overwhelming concern then Florida is not right for you. No part of the state is safe from hurricanes.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Access to 'the beaches', good restaurants, golf, good shopping, friendliest people and diversity, all with an uncomplicated traffic flow. More... Mayport shrimp, ocean beaches with waves and breezes not to mention seasonal fluctuations.These things might not matter to some people but I hate the greeny/blue hue of the flat gulf water. More... Some of the best medical centers like Mayo, St. Vincents, Baptist and Shands. If I keep thinking, I'll keep typing so that's it for now.
I honestly do not know why you consider Jacksonville to have an "uncomplicated traffic flow". Do you mean compared to other cities in Florida?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I honestly do not know why you consider Jacksonville to have an "uncomplicated traffic flow". Do you mean compared to other cities in Florida?
Tampa is a much older city. JAX is a lot like Chicago where some streets will lead you from downtown to the beaches. It just worked for us, that's all I can say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement