Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 01:29 PM

29 posts, read 25,171 times

Advertisements

My GF is a widow. Her late husband only worked 30 years, then died of cancer. Her full retirement age is 66 and 4 months. Her FRB will be about 26K while his is only 19K.

As we understand the formula, her survivor benefit from him at age 60 and 8 months, 68 months early, would be his FRB – his FRB * 0.285 * 68 / 72, or about $13,886. Again as we understand it, she can only take one benefit. She could take her survivor benefit, $13,886, until she reaches the age of 70 and then start her benefits at 129.33% of her FRB, or about $33,626.

Are there any restrictions that would stop her from taking his benefits first while letting hers grow until the age of 70?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 03:26 PM

756 posts, read 835,953 times
Here is the link for the Social Security Administrations booklet for Widows on Survivors Benefits.

The United States Social Security Administration
Look up at the menu for Information for...
Then on the next page click on information for .... Women
It will take you to a page where, at the bottom, is a link to download their booklet on Survivors Benefits in PDF form.

If you cannot find the answer to your question, it might be best to call them at the 800 number or even make an appointment to get your questions asked in person.

I found them to be very helpful when I applied. They anticipated my questions and were very professional and helpful.

Also, just because you make an appointment to go in, you are NOT obligated to apply that day. You can take the information they print out and go home to consider it. When you are ready you can go back on another appointment.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
What you outlined is what I did when my spouse passed at age 60 in 2004. I started Survivor's benefit based on her record, until my age 70 (last year). Then converted to my benefit on my own record with the (then) 32% Delayed Retirement Credit.

A possible "restriction" might be if your GF continued working for wages before her FRA, and/or claimed Survivor's before her FRA.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 PM

29 posts, read 25,171 times
Thanks for that information reed303. He died about 13 years ago after an 8 year disability for his cancer. As I understand it she did get some type of disability payments while he was alive and their son continued to receive benefits until he turned 18.

She is making an appointment with the local SS office. I will make sure that your concerns are addressed by her when she makes that visit.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement