Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

Its clearly not a real study and even the professor lumps everyone in same bunch; as they say. Anyone retired any length of time knows that isn't true at all among retirees. Most do not work until the drop even tho its been project even in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 01:11 PM

685 posts, read 720,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Scary retirement income reality « Bankrate, Inc.

Short article but some good points in it.

Issues:
Social Security full retirement age is rising
Medicare premiums are going up
More Social Security benefits are taxed

Steps to Take:
Work longer
Put off claiming Social Security
Save more
Tap your home equity

The only thing I didn't like was the chart on suggested retirement savings targets. I've never seen retirement savings goals shown this way.
I take Bankrate.com with some grains of salt. They're there to advertise and sell products.

Prices are skyrocketing and it's indicated in the article. If things cost more, how the heck do people
save more. I had been paying off a loan on a new HVAC system. It was paid off last year and any
money I'm no longer paying to the loan company pays for medical insurance, and living. My earned
income is going down because prices are climbing.

The government is allowing this to happen. It's no longer a matter of saving, it's how not to continue to be ripped off by the government and I don't know that will ever happen.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Scary retirement income reality « Bankrate, Inc.

Short article but some good points in it.

Issues:
Social Security full retirement age is rising
Medicare premiums are going up
More Social Security benefits are taxed

Steps to Take:
Work longer
Put off claiming Social Security
Save more
Tap your home equity

The only thing I didn't like was the chart on suggested retirement savings targets. I've never seen retirement savings goals shown this way.

Another good reason to allow the purchase of tiny properties.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Do we really need a study to know this. If you can't afford to retire or need more money in retirement...work longer. If you want to save money...live below your means, or cut your expenses. No &#(@ Sherlock. Thank goodness my taxes dollars didn't pay for that "article."

??? And if you are unable to work longer? Or you're living at poverty level, how do you live below your means? If you're paying half your income to rent a room, how do you reduce expenses?

Old 03-15-2015, 03:26 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes, those numbers seem a bit low, and they're arrayed rather simplistically.
I made $54,500 officially gross last year. That's almost $440k. Many, many people have far less than that by retirement.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:28 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? And if you are unable to work longer? Or you're living at poverty level, how do you live below your means? If you're paying half your income to rent a room, how do you reduce expenses?
why do you always ask us to solve your problems ? i can never figure out your asking us questions and then when you get answers telling us why they are the wrong answers.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why do you always ask us to solve your problems ? i can never figure out your asking us questions and then when you get answers telling us why they are the wrong answers.

Didn't you mention that most retirees weren't able to retire on their terms?

Why do people casually suggest 'solutions' that are not feasible for many?

Old 03-15-2015, 04:00 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
then why keep asking ? it wasn't an unfortunate event in your life that did it - it was your entire life , your choices , your path .

Old 03-15-2015, 05:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Two things; work beyond fra if you can and "live down".

I'm 66 and not collecting ss yet because it is my hope I can make to 70.

The math is simple; for every year I continue to work putting off social security I will receive $200/month for $2,400/year in my social security payment. How much additional savings would I have to have in my IRA to withdraw $200/month indexed to inflation for the rest of my life?

At age 70 1/2 you must withdraw 4% every year or get hit with a penalty so we'll use that as a benchmark.

To withdraw $200/month, which is 4% of my IRA savings, I would have to have an additional $62,500.

To withdraw $800/month, which is 4% of my IRA savings, I would have to have an additional $250,000.

What makes ss more attractive to me is it is indexed to inflation.

Look at it this way if you worked earning $70,000 that "additional" value of $62,500 that you would eventually get would be equivalent to earning $140,000 starting at age 62 and saving $62,500 of that which, after all the taxes, wouldn't leave you with an excess amount to live on.

We're all different and there isn't any right answer but what would you rather have; a guaranteed $800 tax free for the rest of your life or $250,000 in an IRA and forced to take 4% or $800/month for the rest of your life?

Husband and wife both collecting. At age 70 the husband would receive $3,000 while the wife would receive around $1,125 which is roughly 50% of what her husbands fra benefit would be. Together they receive $4,125 for $49,500 annually. Their estimated federal income tax on that would be $0.

Assume this couple saved $250,000 at age 70 1/2 they would have to withdraw 4% or $800/month.

If both took ss at their fra their combined ss would be $3,375 for $40,500 annually and they would receive an additional $9,600 ($800*12) in their IRA withdraws for a total income of $50,100.

The estimated federal income tax would also be $0.

In my part of the country if two people have a home that is paid for and can't live will on a tax free $50,000/year then they have a spending problem and not an income problem. In my part of the country $50,000 after tax is equivalent to nearly $70,000 in wages and if you can't make it on that I am not about to cry a river for you.

And then there is morning down. I never thought I would do it but I'm looking at a condo because at age 70 it's really the only thing that makes sense for me. Yeah, I might have a HOA fee of $150/mo but I spend that now for a yard service to do my yard.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
They left out the most important and IMHO, easiest solution. Cut back on your lifestyle. Smaller home, cut out eating out and cook some more. Quit buying more clothes, shoes, jewelry, and other toys. Start living below your means now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement