Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 587 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with otosclerosis about fifteen years ago. I am now 48 and I needed to start wearing hearing aids about two years ago. Within the past two years there has been such a decrease in my hearing that I can longer hear people speaking wearing my hearing aids. I do my best to stay positive but it is very scary to have such a decline. I am so grateful that the hearing aids are available and work for me.
It can be challenging in certain settings because I hear everything but what the person is saying. I also find that my ear canal gets very dry and itchy. Has anyone ever expiernced that?

At the onset of the diagnosis I decided not to get the stapendectomy after getting two opinions. I do see now that with the how my loss has increased I may need to reconsider at some point. Although I do have tinnitus in both ears I find that to be less upsetting at this point than the hearing loss. Living with hearing loss has been quite a challenge in certain situations. People get frustrated or even angry when they have to repeat themselves or if they think I am ignoring them. I find that many don't really understand the struggle one goes through with hearing loss.
I am new to posting and this is my first time.
I am looking for any input on recommendations of a doctor in the New York area that specializes in stapendectomy surgery. At this point I will wait but I do need to have someone on board.
Thanks in advance
L

Last edited by Hearing heart; 03-18-2015 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
You should post this in the New York forum and be specific about whether you're talking about NY state or NYC, and which part.

I have lifelong hearing loss, have worn aids since 1984 and have struggled with attendant problems like tinnitus and vertigo, it's tough. I don't live in NY so can't provide a recommendation. I with you well.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
There is a health forum with lots of info. Probably would be better there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/health-wellness/

Old 03-19-2015, 07:54 AM

756 posts, read 836,388 times
My husband had the stapendectomy when in his early 30's, approx 29 years ago- best thing he ever did. It changed his life.

His sister also has otosclorosis and refused the surgery. She has a hearing aid but doesn't seem to be as effective.

It is hereditary and now my daughter has hearing problems and may eventually need the surgery. It wasn't terribly involved when my hubby had it way back when, so with the technology available today I am thinking it would be even less so now...

Best to you!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:29 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Get the surgery. I did and it was well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement