Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:18 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I would prefer FL due to better winters, proximity to ocean, etc. I have no desire at all to live in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:27 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I would prefer FL due to better winters, proximity to ocean, etc. I have no desire at all to live in Texas.
That's me also. Nothing against TX but if you want a warm beach nearby then despite what an earlier poster said about more variety in TX, you have more choices in FL (given the "warm beach nearby" requirement). If you are in the Panhandle or above Orlando (roughly) then you have variety not all that far away. So you will cross a state line or two.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:47 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
If your a diver... hard to beat FL. I see the world through the eye of a fisherman/boater.... so I'm not best at comparing areas. If you get bored in FL then your boring.

What I have observed... if your not able to enjoy yourself outside in the heat of summer then your life becomes a simple mix of going from one air conditioned environment to another. Florida is best enjoyed, appreciated, and utilized "outside".

Area's like the Keys are fabulous (as an example)... but there are basically 3 activities so you can get bored easily, but the Keys aren't boring. Learn to "pack and go" ... and not plan everything. Gas and a credit card is about all you need. Too many people in FL try to swim "upstream".

...just sayin'

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 05-23-2015 at 04:19 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 09:24 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
It comes down to the water. FLA has it, better beaches, cleaner beaches.

You dramatically increase your entertainment/culture/things to do options if you shift just a little bit north, say Pinellas County. Nothing against Venice, but the average age (per City-Data) ought to tell you something.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:51 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
An interesting thing to note about the Keys (mentioned earlier as a possible destination) - they turn the "too hot" argument on its ear. Only one month - August - has an average high of 90 in Key West; the rest are below, the coolest being January at 75. It's because of water all around of course. Brownsville, TX has 4 months with averages over 90 and bottoms out in January with an average high of 71. South Padre Island is closer to Keys like weather also only with August at 90, but bottoms out at 68 for an average January high. But there are aren't a long string of islands at roughly the same latitude and it is fairly exclusive. I would also rate the water clarity at the Keys significantly higher.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:51 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
We have not retired yet but are going to soon in the Cape Coral area. We love weather and location. Close to lots of places and things to do. 90 miles from Tampa, 60 miles to Venice to Clearwater. 40 miles to Naples, 140 to Miami
and 160 to Orlando. Also 125 to Ft Lauderdale if you want to cruise. Nice airport right here flies out to every where.
Daily flights to Cancun and Caribbean area. Ft Myers Beach is beautiful. Lots of great restaurants in the area.
Love all the palm trees. Cost of living is very low.
I love Cape Coral. We've been going there for years. We were considering selling our home in the north, even started house hunting until my mother took a stroke. Oh well, maybe some day.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:19 PM

81 posts, read 98,103 times
We purchased a home south of Cape Coral and closer to the beach. It's on a canal and the boating and beaches are fantastic, but we will also keep our home back north for now.
As mentioned, this area has a great airport and the larger cities are not that far away. We have many aquaintances that retired to Cape Coral and are very happy with the move.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:26 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
If you like the ocean then Florida is obviously a better choice. Regarding heat and humidity, you have to decide for yourself if you like the ocean more than you dislike humidity. ^^ If you could afford it, Hawaii is the best option though.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:34 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
We currently live in northeastern Florida and have been here since Jan. '09. We completely decided that Florida is not our place for retirement when my wife does retire in a few years. We have found out that we aren't the beach type, like we thought we might be........used to live in So California and liked going to the beach there.

So, where will our destination be later..........back to eastern Colorado/south Denver metro! We lived there for 5 1/2 years and loved it. The winters started to get to us, but when a person is retired, they don't have to go out during those icy/snowy days like they did when they worked a full-time job. There is so much we miss about living there......RMNP, the Elk "rut", lake boating, rodeo's, Fairs, etc. BTW, did I say "rodeo's"......oh yes, we love them. I use to be involved in that sport on a horse w/a rope.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:47 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
I would start working on the type of community you want to live in. Then try and find several in Tx and FL and visit. At some point spend a month or two at the location you like best. When visiting take off your visitor hat and put on your resident hat. That is where can you shop, find doctors, restaurants etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement