Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 PM

4,081 posts, read 2,167,229 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate the couple of posters who remarked that it may be a good thing that I'm not itching to move. My situation is a little different than most in that I live in metro Atlanta. While we have four seasons, we don't deal with much cold weather and snow. Cost of living is relatively low. Diverse population, which I enjoy. There's beautiful scenery and lots of stuff to do. The problem is the traffic and some remnants of the traditional Southern lifestyle that will always be foreign to me as a Yankee transplant.

Supposedly some people who move to Florida decide they don't like it and move "half back" to Georgia (or NC or Tennessee). So it is attractive to some people. But people who have been here for years while working can't wait to leave. For a while, I bought into this and was convinced that the Pacific Northwest would be a wonderful fit for me. (Ironically, I've never even been there!) But then I realized I was happy right here and couldn't imagine being happier anywhere else. Maybe I've done too much reading on happiness---where experts say that happiness comes within, regardless of circumstances, so at least at the present time I am busy, happy, and fulfilled living right here. It could be that I will be missing an opportunity to experience something new, possibly something that would be even better. And I do know that a little of it is that I don't do well with change---when I retired 9 years ago, I moved within metro Atlanta just 15 miles (to get into a ranch style condo in an area that was less expensive) and even that was a major adjustment. But most of this is that I try to live my life according to this philosophy from a young writer, Meghan Daum:

"The key to contentment is to live life to the fullest within the confines of your comfort zone. Stay in safe waters, but plunge as deeply as possible."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 08:24 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,952,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate the couple of posters who remarked that it may be a good thing that I'm not itching to move. My situation is a little different than most in that I live in metro Atlanta. While we have four seasons, we don't deal with much cold weather and snow. Cost of living is relatively low. Diverse population, which I enjoy. There's beautiful scenery and lots of stuff to do. The problem is the traffic and some remnants of the traditional Southern lifestyle that will always be foreign to me as a Yankee transplant.

Supposedly some people who move to Florida decide they don't like it and move "half back" to Georgia (or NC or Tennessee). So it is attractive to some people. But people who have been here for years while working can't wait to leave. For a while, I bought into this and was convinced that the Pacific Northwest would be a wonderful fit for me. (Ironically, I've never even been there!) But then I realized I was happy right here and couldn't imagine being happier anywhere else. Maybe I've done too much reading on happiness---where experts say that happiness comes within, regardless of circumstances, so at least at the present time I am busy, happy, and fulfilled living right here. It could be that I will be missing an opportunity to experience something new, possibly something that would be even better. And I do know that a little of it is that I don't do well with change---when I retired 9 years ago, I moved within metro Atlanta just 15 miles (to get into a ranch style condo in an area that was less expensive) and even that was a major adjustment. But most of this is that I try to live my life according to this philosophy from a young writer, Meghan Daum:

"The key to contentment is to live life to the fullest within the confines of your comfort zone. Stay in safe waters, but plunge as deeply as possible."
Yep! There is no point in trying to conform to someone else's idea of being adventuresome. Those of us who liked our location before retiring and continue to like it after retiring are fortunate. Moving on the outside chance we may like it better somewhere else is a very poor risk and is more likely to lead to disappointment and regret.

Just to be clear, I am not criticizing those who have moved or who want to. There are plenty of valid reasons to move, from escaping the snow and ice (one can be tired of snow and ice after 40 years of adult life in that climate) to finding a lower cost of living to being near grandchildren. I think successful moves should be based on a positive enthusiasm to embrace the differences offered by the new location, not just some vague feeling that one "ought" to relocate just because one is retired.

There is nothing wonderful per se about moving. I am not bored with the Los Angeles area after living here from 1958 to 1962 and from 1966 to the present, making 53 years total, and I don't see how I ever could be.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:02 PM

8,094 posts, read 10,695,514 times
I am still in my semi-prime working years, and have spent the last 15 years in rural, small-town America, originally thinking this is where I will retire as well. But, I am now thinking I may want to retire to City Life, the opposite of most people. I really don't LIKE cutting grass and yard work, gardening bores me to tears, and there's nothing much to do here if you aren't working. Hanging out with the old ladies playing Bingo at church, or going to lunch every day at the Senior Center, or RV'ing from place to place sounds boring and depressing to me. I am also thinking of moving to a colder environment because I absolutely HATE the humid summers of the South. I'm thinking a town home or condo in Michigan or Wisconsin sounds good!

So, I am an odd ball. I want to retire to a situation most people want to escape from upon retirement.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,429,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I often wonder why people spend their entire working lives living somewhere they don't like.
C'mon Larry! Don't rub it in, wouldja? It's hard enough for the rest of us, lol!

In my case, I am in DC Metro because 1) it is THE only place in the country that has gone unscathed by recessions since the 90s downturn; 2) There is no glaring inequality - the incomes are high and evenly dispersed; and 3) Being middle-aged is no impediment to obtaining and replacing jobs in that a high median salary range. The skills required are fungible amongst a host of employers. You carry the capabilities between your ears, you walk across the street (figuratively) and get another job if you need another job. It's really quite the place, and a very nice thing for a person who likes to keep life's moving parts to a minimum.

The QOL, OTOH stinks from the standpoint of traffic, COL, congestion, illegal aliens, and concreted over green space.

Regardless, you can still cobble together a low key life that lets you create an economic surplus for yer dotage, and to provide an emergency cushion for all purposes.

I suspect that most people still have jobs that require them to be within commute range of where the action is. That is the case here: if you were to suggest a Lync conference to govt execs, they'd look at you as if you were nutz and request a more suitable replacement.

Your place sounds dreamy, congrats for recognizing it when you found it! And for having the courage of your convictions!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:42 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,952,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I am still in my semi-prime working years, and have spent the last 15 years in rural, small-town America, originally thinking this is where I will retire as well. But, I am now thinking I may want to retire to City Life, the opposite of most people. I really don't LIKE cutting grass and yard work, gardening bores me to tears, and there's nothing much to do here if you aren't working. Hanging out with the old ladies playing Bingo at church, or going to lunch every day at the Senior Center, or RV'ing from place to place sounds boring and depressing to me. I am also thinking of moving to a colder environment because I absolutely HATE the humid summers of the South. I'm thinking a town home or condo in Michigan or Wisconsin sounds good!

So, I am an odd ball. I want to retire to a situation most people want to escape from upon retirement.
You are not as odd as you seem to think, although yes, you may be in a minority. Plenty of people are retired in the cities. I see hundreds and hundreds of grey heads at Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles.

I would enjoy a nice rural, quiet environment - for about two or three weeks! Then it would be time to end the restful vacation, as appreciated as it would be.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:43 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,429,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I stayed because of the very high paying job I had, it was my roots, my only child's roots.

When I lost him in a car accident, I had no reason to stay where I was not content, and was growing to despise the bone chilling, long winters; even though it was my life long home turf.
Norma, many condolences on your loss. Beyond words and sympathetic murmurs. Best to you.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,344,225 times
Heck no I'm not moving. I left Oregon in my 20's, California bound and have been in love with the Bay Area since I first set foot here. I still get chills driving through the Waldo tunnel and emerging to a spectacular view of the Golden Gate bridge and San Francisco beyond. We can afford to stay and all our friends are here.

That said, hubby and I did downsize in our 40's to a smaller single-story house with the idea that this would be a good home to age in. But we moved a whopping 5 blocks from our old house. So I don't think that counts.

Bottom line is, I did my traveling in my 20's, found a place I love, and won't be leaving if I have anything to do with it!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 PM

8,401 posts, read 6,500,202 times
I hate the goverment in Calif with a burning passion but that would be my only reason for leaving. Thanks to City-Data I have literaly studied where I would go, Medford Oregon. For what I could get for my house I could get a nicer house in a better neighborhood there. The high cost of living in Calif. constantly aggervates me but I believe it would cost even more in Oregon because our proposition 13 really saves us on property tax and thats one of or is the highest expense tax.
I'm just daydreaming, I know I'll never move, I'm too old, have too much stuff, am too established, love my church and friends.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,321,672 times
My fil and mil stayed where they'd raised their kids for a while after he retired. But he had the golden opportunity to sell at top dollar and they moved, following neighbors who were good friends out the the county. They loved their new house too, with one story. But while they missed seeing kids and grandkids as much, they kids were already spreading out to other states. They are in their late 80's now, with health concerns, and most of the kids have moved where they can visit, but not as often. And the grandkids are moving out of state.

I moved because I wanted a new place, and not a small apartment, but my son moved out of state too, and for a job. The grandkids are still scattering. And they are quite happy with their house and the way it was built with older retirees in mind. They also are above the smog which is good since he has copd.

I think the tendency for kids and grandkids to spread out far and near will just grow with the job situation, and it is not a bad idea that parents can find their new place too. Often homes good for kids and stairs and a lot of yard are not so suitable for them anymore.

And if you really want to try a new place, its your life and you'll always wonder if you don't try.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,356,055 times
Personally, I'd like to take a year of and travel the U.S. in a motorhome at a leisurely pace and explore the possibility of moving. I'd either find a place I'd like to move to or discover that my home is my castle and just stay where everything is familiar.
Change can be a breath of fresh air or it can be aggravating. You don't know until you try it.
All my life I've gone by the belief of don't quit your day job while exploring careers and I believe that don't quit your home while looking at houses also applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement