Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If you are 29, planning is not realistic. My plans were swept away time after time but by 53 I retired with more income than I had while working. You don't know what is going to happen. If you get a chance put some money where you won't touch it and let it be
You can plan as best you can at any age. Granted, unforeseen events can often change a younger person's plans, but they can happen to anyone at any age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
E.R.

I agree with everything you wrote in the first part. About the second part, even though that I think your observation is dead on, I am neither amazed, bothered or upset by the pervasiveness of trivial posts and topics.

Even though most of the time, I am not interested in the trivia and have not participated in the chat thread. I have spent some of my spare time reading this mega thread and especially the other 'sticky' long thread: "Men and women retiring alone...". Granted that many of these posts were about 'banal, boring details of posters' daily lives' but these details and the genuine interests shown in these 'trivia' speak volume about the community spirit, about the bonds and friendships which some posters have formed with each other. I have no doubt that some posters have found their much needed support network here among their peers, people who share similar concerns, people who are facing similar life challenges be it health, financial, relationship or emotional issues (losing a beloved pet and trying to adopt a new 'baby' is an important and serious issue for a senior who is living alone!).

Although quite a few of the posters in the "Men and women retiring alone..." thread no longer participate in the cd-forum, reading their posts, learning about many aspects of their lives, key issues along with trivia, made me feel like I 'know' them. I learned a lot about life in retirement, about issues, uncertainties, decisions, losses, gains and most of all about the community spirit, the friendly and supportive atmosphere of this 'virtual' retirement community. Few months ago, I spent a good weekend reading every posts in this thread, decided that cd retirement forum was a nice place to hangout and became a more regular poster and participant.

Although the down side of the preponderance of 'chattiness', not being limited to the chat thread but spilling out to new topics and thread drifts is the appearance of 'clickiness' and banality, I think posters who want to read only meaningful, informative and serious posts can easily skip what they consider frivolous or uninteresting ones. It does no good to complaint or protest. To me, dismissal, disparaging, mocking comments (or creating parody threads) can be quite harmful and damaging to the community spirit.
very nicely stated. I agree. lots of my posts have been deleted and i am not sure why nor care but i wanted to say this post reflects the generosity I see in the Retirement forum. I ignore any other kind.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:22 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
From this forum I learned there sure is a lot of anxiety about how time will be spent in retirement.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:28 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I've learned that having a lot of income and assets, expensive homes and cars, and disposable income in retirement does not always correlate with increased happiness and deep down contentment.
I've also learned that the older I get, the more I feel ''at home'' among the older 55+ set. You all ''get it'', if ya know what I mean. Same planet. So I like more to hang out here.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:30 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i learned money does not always buy happiness but it sure buys choices in life .

Old 01-17-2017, 01:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i learned money does not always buy happiness but it sure buys choices in life .
Money doesn't always buy choices. I could have all the money in the world, but I'm still limited by my health as to what I can do. My choices as to what I want to do aren't dependent upon how much money I have but how much my medical condition will allow.

I think there are a few others here in the same boat.

I think what I have learned from this forum up til now is there are some people seem to rely on doing what they feel they are supposed to do in retirement. They sort of follow a life script as they did before retirement. I had always thought retirement meant freedom in the sense the retiree had the time to do whatever they chose even if that was nothing at all rather than frantically searching for things to do just to be doing things.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:09 PM

health , money and choices are all related . with money you can get better care , better facility's , etc . while you can't always win the battle money helps a lot ALONG WITH CHOICES IN CARE . .

my wife's first husband had the same form of cancer as sam walton . sam took him under his wing and spent over 1 million dollars on him . it prolonged his life long enough that he had more time with his family . sam was doing very costly experimental study's at a hospital in Arkansas which today are standard treatment but not then .

without the bone marrow transplants he would have been gone years sooner .

priceless ....

Old 01-17-2017, 01:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
There are some health conditions that no amount of money will change. Cerebral palsy comes to my mind; my sister had it. Yes, they have more treatments now, but not a cure.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:31 PM

there are always going to be exceptions to everything in life . nothing will ever hold 100% but i will take money to have choices over no money and no choices any day

Old 01-17-2017, 02:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
There are some health conditions that no amount of money will change. Cerebral palsy comes to my mind; my sister had it. Yes, they have more treatments now, but not a cure.
That's true. One of the reasons I relocated to Cleveland was to go to the world renowned Cleveland Clinic where they specialize in treatment and research in my illness. I got the top doctors. Money had nothing to do with it. I have Medicare and a supplement Medigap Policy. Nothing fancy.

The CC did all they could before they came to the same conclusion that my doctors in Portland did. There's nothing more they can use for treatment. So big famous clinic or medium not-so-famous clinic the answers were the same. No amount of money would get me better treatment or a cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement