Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I am 67 and DH is 65. I am mindful of the signs, but so far I think we've dodged the bullet. I am keeping my radar up for it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
My Paternal Grandmother had Alzheimers - I believe it first started in her late 60's to early 70's. She died of complication of that in her late 80's. My father was diagnosed with Frontal Lobe Dementia at 70. We were going to do an Alcohol Abuse Intervention when we were notified he was in jail - the jail let him out for us to take him to the VA for evaluation - He walked away - my sister and I found him wandering the highway - we picked him up - he didn't recognize us. We had seen him - spent time with him 11 months earlier - after feeding him - he seemed to begin to know who we kids were. Got him to the VA and all their testing the same day and came home with that diagnosis. He progressed rapidly into the Dementia - 2 years later he knew who my husband was - You are Mark - you're married to my daughter - but he could not verbalize my name at all. Sister became his guardian and he lived in nursing homes until he got pneumonia and a staff infection and died at 73. Dad lived in OR, brother there didn't have a good relationship with him - me in TX, sisters in MI - If we had been closser geographically, maybe we could have gotten him help earlier. IKN - I miss him.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:20 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Some researchers at our local university medical school are doing a study about brain decline. Here is the link https://www.mindcrowd.org/

You can take their online memory test for free. They hope to get over one million participants for Phase I. Phase II will select a subgroup from Phase I, offer more testing, and look for possible genetic markers for memory issues. It goes beyond just having the APOE4 mutations.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Some researchers at our local university medical school are doing a study about brain decline. Here is the link https://www.mindcrowd.org/
That was fun! I scored 94%, compared to an average score of 49% for "people like me", and 56% overall.

Here's a longer and harder Cognitive Function Test. Pretty sure someone on this forum posted the link a few years ago. I've taken it twice since (they suggest every 2 years) and have scored well above average.

I'm 66+ y.o. so relieved to know that obvious deterioration is not yet apparent. Since 2009 I've been a stickler for a regular fitness routine and more than anything I credit that for keeping my brain cells going. I'm a big fan of the book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. It's what motivated me to get moving and keep moving. I have the audiobook and listen to it every year.
Here's a synopsis:

Quote:
In Spark, John J. Ratey, M.D., embarks upon a fascinating and entertaining journey through the mind-body connection, presenting startling research to prove that exercise is truly our best defense against everything from depression to ADD to addiction to aggression to menopause to Alzheimer's. Filled with amazing case studies, Spark is the first book to explore comprehensively the connection between exercise and the brain. It will change forever the way you think about your morning run---or, for that matter, simply the way you think.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post

You can take their online memory test for free. They hope to get over one million participants for Phase I. Phase II will select a subgroup from Phase I, offer more testing, and look for possible genetic markers for memory issues. It goes beyond just having the APOE4 mutations.
Any website with a "test" for which you have to enter personal information including specific DOB doesn't sound on the up and up, so I pass.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
My oldest co-worker is 83. She had enough money to retire 30 years ago but only went to part-time, says she needs the structure of work in her life. She has been forgetful of names for some time, but recently, has become unable to do tasks that she had done many times before. She is basically non-functional except for a couple of minor tasks, and her co-workers are just doing her work for her.

I'd feel it was sadder than it is if she hadn't been such a nasty, persecutory person when in full cry. She ruined many people's reputations, caused them to get fired and generally fed into the most negative gossip and troublemaking when she was able. I guess I have a pretty long memory for these things (I was almost fired because of her and certainly didn't deserve it- had to get a lawyer involved) so I do see her as pathetic, but it's not the sad thing it would be if she were more beloved.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Any website with a "test" for which you have to enter personal information including specific DOB doesn't sound on the up and up, so I pass.

It didn't ask me for DOB, just my age.

It asked for marital status, race, and education level but none of those are personally identifiable info.
Also a name and email, but I keep a made-up name and separate email account for that very purpose.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

It didn't ask me for DOB, just my age.

It asked for marital status, race, and education level but none of those are personally identifiable info.
Also a name and email, but I keep a made-up name and separate email account for that very purpose.
The Cognitive Function test asked for DOB, as if anyone would give the real one. But also other personal info.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The Cognitive Function test asked for DOB, as if anyone would give the real one. But also other personal info.
Oh ok, I thought you meant the test linked by the other user.
Yeah, I used my fake bd on it.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:08 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Uh oh, my score was really really bad (34% I think, maybe 33%) which was way less than for folks in my age group. Not good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement