Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 03:03 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

To the OP, my answer is "yes". As I've aged, I've become less certain of what I can unequivocally KNOW.

I used to be certain of my agnosticism, then realized that required just as much "faith", as believing in a "God" that is beyond the scope of our human brains. I've gotten a bit more humble, in that dept.

I think it was Sagan, or someone equal to him, that said "You can have God before the Big Bang", since no one knows what came before that. I do believe in the Big Bang and evolution, and that in no way precludes a deity. I think now, that it is equally unfathomable to believe the whole incomprehensible Universe came out of "nothing". That takes a lot of "faith" too.

There's a lot of stuff that we as humans don't understand. Yet, it might be true!

Good discussion, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 04:08 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Not at all. Now, I do believe there is a "something" that binds us, and do believe in a higher power, but organized religion...nope.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 PM

314 posts, read 238,531 times
Default ...

No.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:13 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Not at all. Now, I do believe there is a "something" that binds us, and do believe in a higher power, but organized religion...nope.
I agree with "something," with the addendum that I don't think that something has anything to do with human actions or our little lives. We've developed these great big brains and don't know what to do with them. I think we have as much right to be here as the animals and the trees and rocks, no more, no less.

I wish we could behave better in the system.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 PM

33 posts, read 26,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
You start to realize that there is a God and religion in general is just plain politics.
Love, love, love this one. Yeah, religion has become "marketing" and we all know that marketing is just "recruitment". Too bad that mankind had to screw it all up. Religion is about "market share" period and has little to do with God.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 AM

144 posts, read 103,157 times
Nope. As I've gotten older and gained some wisdom, it's very difficult for me to look at what passes as christianity in this country and believe in a god. Especially when I read that 85% of evangelical christians voted for and stand by somebody as vulgar as trump and try to tell us that he's god's man.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am not nor have I ever been a very religious person. I do believe in a "God" but don't subscribe to any particular dogmas.

One thing I've noticed with the retirees I know is that many seem to become increasingly religious and introspective as time passes and they realize they don't have too much time left in this world. I think some were simply too busy with work, raising children, and day to day responsibilities to honestly give religion much thought, and now have more time to attend services, etc.

Did you find yourself become more interested in religion in your old age/retirement? Why or why not?
Nope. that is to say I haven't gotten more religious as I age or now I'm retired. Mostly I don't think too much about it. I think the current Pope is a good guy. I think many churches aren't at all churches as should be taxed and it really makes me mad they are not. Thats about as much as I think about religion as it stands in the US. Nothing can be proven, its all conjecture (or fantasy) so.....why bother? You can't figure it out. You can't know. I think its more important to try to be a good person and do the right thing. If there is a deity or afterlife scenario involving some sort of "reward" that will hopefully be taken that into account. This protestant bs about you can go to heaven even if you've have been the worst kind of sick predator/criminal all your life as long as you accept Jesus is offensive.

Nor have I become more conservative, (or liberal), another trend as you age. Independent, swimming upstream thats me

Last edited by Giesela; 06-19-2017 at 05:33 AM..

Old 06-19-2017, 06:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
.... I think the current Pope is a good guy......
Good guy or not, he is the head of an organization with centuries of greed, opulence and corruption and hidden acceptance of homosexuality and child abuse among those who proclaim abstinence from sex.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Good guy or not, he is the head of an organization with centuries of greed, opulence and corruption and hidden acceptance of homosexuality and child abuse among those who proclaim abstinence from sex.
Big difference between homosexuality and child abuse, and yet you use them together. You know, I assume, that one can be homosexual and abstinent, just as one can be heterosexual and abstinent. Homosexuality is a state of being and not an action.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:36 AM

242 posts, read 231,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am not nor have I ever been a very religious person. I do believe in a "God" but don't subscribe to any particular dogmas.

One thing I've noticed with the retirees I know is that many seem to become increasingly religious and introspective as time passes and they realize they don't have too much time left in this world. I think some were simply too busy with work, raising children, and day to day responsibilities to honestly give religion much thought, and now have more time to attend services, etc.

Did you find yourself become more interested in religion in your old age/retirement? Why or why not?

I am a Christian and have been most of my life. As a young child, I spent sleepless nights thinking about where did I come from and what will happen to me after I die. I found peace and the answers I was looking for in the Holy Scriptures. I love studying about the life of Christ and his teachings. Studying the bible has been a life-long endeavor and no more so in retirement than it was early on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement