Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
So any more good recipes or ideas for cooking? Ideas for grocery shopping, saving money on groceries, finding new recipes? Old fashioned recipes for comfort. Winter or slow cooker recipes? Healthy recipes?
This time of year is the most challenging time to determine to eat well and avoid a lot of carbs. The season equals carbs. Just when you think you have a handle on it, someone gives you homemade cookies or bread or you go to a party and it's on every tray. I like to think about Jan/Feb, when there are no holidays to load up on sugars and carbs. Alas, any food that speaks of comfort undoubtedly has a major carb (wheat) in it.

I'm rereading Dr Wm Davis' Wheat Belly. I don't have a belly or a large middle, but I believe much of what he says regarding health. Where he errs, I think, is in calling for ALL carbs to be eliminated, and that's not possible. It's primarily wheat, esp refined, that he's talking about. I do made up recipes with millet (millet cornbread with no wheat) and breakfast cereal buckwheat; neither are grains. You can make yummy Indian pudding with whole brown rice, though watch the sugar, it can be as bad as carbs.

There are so many health-conscious recipe books out there it's mind boggling! To keep it simple use the slow cooker, plunk in your five ingredients and voila! You have dinner with no work. (Dried beans won't cook in a slow cooker without soaking them overnight.)

My nutribullet came with a booklet that has some delicious recipes, just trying some more out this week. Mostly it's smoothies, quick and nutritious and tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 04:58 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I have found that beans have helped with my stomach problems. I am trying out different bean recipes now. Last night I soaked pinto beans in water but added 1/2 an onion and some garlic that was turning.

Today I am crock pot cooking them. Added Chile's in Adobe sauce (just one- will freeze the rest), smoked paprika, a couple bouillon cubes (I used chicken), turmeric & for fun, Orange zest & juice. So far it tastes good. It's still cooking so will know later. Think I'll make some rice & put the beans & sauce over it.

I'm trying to use up what I've got before buying more so being inventive.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:18 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Okay - that was delicious. Added some frozen pulled pork I had in the freezer, used 1/2 coconut water & 1/2 regular water & threw in a bouillon cube in the rice & oh, my, gosh - the citrus taste added so much, as did the coconut water. Unfortunately I just added more to the freezer! But at least, thanks to this post, I will be able to repeat the recipe. Try it, you may like it.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:15 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
I learned to help make this as a child. There isn't any recipe written down, and it was learned from my fraternal grandmother who was full German but born in the St. Louis area in 1885. Our family always called it "head sausage" but it isn't similar to any other sausage recipe that I've ever come across and I think it may be a German recipe from "the old country." We would make this recipe at Christmas time but made such a huge batch that it lasted for several months. Once my children saw how it was made, they no longer wanted to eat it lol My nephew recently called and asked for the recipe. An electric meat grinder really makes this recipe go much faster!

Head Sausage:

Pork butt roast
Pork roast
Pig's feet and/or knuckles
Other cheap pork cuts of meat
Oatmeal (old fashioned, not quick cooking)

In very large stock pot, cover pork with water. Boil until pork pulls easily away from bones. Remove pork from pot but retain the water in pot and allow water to cool.

Remove meat from bones and grind meat finely. Include the gelatin and fat when grinding the meat.

Return ground meat mixture to water and add oatmeal. Add salt and pepper and bring to boil stirring often. Turn fire down and allow to simmer stirring often - cook for about 30 minutes. Mixture will have the consistency of very thick oatmeal.

Pour mixture into containers for freezing or storage in fridge.

To serve: Fry in skillet until brown and very crisp adding salt and pepper to taste.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:54 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I believe we call something similar souse or head cheese in the south, Deelighted. Spiced round is another thing I don't hear of anymore.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:16 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I believe we call something similar souse or head cheese in the south, Deelighted. Spiced round is another thing I don't hear of anymore.
I did a bit of searching and it appears to be called "Goetta" though our family didn't add onions or the other mentioned seasonings. We also used the Quaker Oats and cornmeal to thicken wasn't necessary.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:08 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,833 times
I like to bring salads to work for lunch but get tired of the basic lettuce, tomato, blah blah versions. Here is a salad recipe I found using Quinoa which I love that am passing on to those trying to watch their gluten and carbs. Even my meat & potato husband likes this salad

Quinoa Salad

Ingredients:

1 cup organic quinoa
Sea salt
2 good handfuls of organic baby spinach leaves, washed, drained
1 large ripe pear, washed, stemmed and cored, cut into pieces
1/2 cup chilled chick peas, rinsed, drained
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
A handful of pecans, pan toasted and salted to taste

For the Maple Vinaigrette Dressing:

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons golden balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Instructions:

Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine sieve. Place the quinoa in a saucepan or a rice cooker. Add 2 cups fresh water, and a pinch of sea salt. Cover and cook on a low simmer until all the water is evaporated and the quinoa is tender- roughly 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and dump it into a large salad bowl.

Add the baby spinach, pear, chick peas, and chopped parsley to the quinoa and fluff.

Whisk together the vinaigrette, pour it over the quinoa salad and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with sea salt and ground pepper.

Just before serving, add the toasted pecans and lightly combine.

Makes four main course servings, six side dish servings.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:22 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
^^^^^^^^ Thank you! Sounds delicious!

Old 12-23-2015, 10:36 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I did a bit of searching and it appears to be called "Goetta" though our family didn't add onions or the other mentioned seasonings. We also used the Quaker Oats and cornmeal to thicken wasn't necessary.

interesting link! and I do think your dish sounds more like scrapple than souse.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:42 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I love fresh fish, especially shellfish. I love Italian peasant food, chunks of veggies sautéed in olive oil with scallops or shrimp and garlic. I serve my husband's over pasta, mine just plain. I love chocolate but not chocolates. Don't care for sugary truffles or caramels, just good dark chocolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement