Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:02 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times

Advertisements

I am 66 and plan on retiring next summer. I found this sight when I did a Google search on 55+ communities. I check the forum almost daily now. The hardest part about retirement for me is every 2 weeks when I get my paycheck and I think 'this will go away next year'. I find that a bit intimidating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 12:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
I would like to move to an area that has lower property taxes, and warmer winters. In Ohio, we have long, grey winters that are depressing. My wife won't move to any place that is extremely hot in the summer, so Arizona and Florida are out. And San Diego is way too expensive for us. So I don't know. Maybe coastal Virginia or North Carolina.

You need to do a LOT more research. Coastal Virginia and North Carolina are very hot and humid for at least 4-5 months per year. Personally, I find the dry heat in Arizona to be less oppressive than in the Southeast this time of year.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:25 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I am 66 and plan on retiring next summer. I found this sight when I did a Google search on 55+ communities. I check the forum almost daily now. The hardest part about retirement for me is every 2 weeks when I get my paycheck and I think 'this will go away next year'. I find that a bit intimidating.
Yep. I've certainly grown accustomed to "the miracle of direct deposit."

Old 08-27-2015, 12:26 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You need to do a LOT more research. Coastal Virginia and North Carolina are very hot and humid for at least 4-5 months per year. Personally, I find the dry heat in Arizona to be less oppressive than in the Southeast this time of year.
Very true. I lived in Atlanta in the 70s when we had over 40 straight days of 100 or better with humidity; brutal. I am in NC now and have been in a few discussions with Floridians where I trotted out the weather almanac entries to show it is almost identical everywhere in the south during the summer (dew points in the 70s, highs in the 90s). They just get more of it. But 4 months of it is still too long if you can't deal with it and 6-7 months isn't really too long if you can. You can bounce up to the cities in C-D and compare the summer months in Raleigh to Tampa. It is much closer than you might imagine.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
I read the retirement forums and am only 23. I find the wealth of information informative and it does help me plan out what I should do for my money. I've always been relatively frugal, but it's very hard to conceptualize 40 to 50 years into the future. Unfortunately a lot of what I read I need to reassert my own life with as I shouldn't, for instance, throw all my money into a retirement account and not pay down my debt (but boooooy does it feel like I want to)

Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
At 62, I just placed an order for a custom built RV that will take about a year to get.
I'll start out on short trips and may just find the right trip where I never come back home.

Reading this does reinforce that there is a life after leaving a career.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Well, it's mid to upper 80s here in Columbus with high humidity most of the summer. That is very similar to coastal Virginia and North Carolina. What my wife doesn't want is 95 with 100% humidity, like what Florida gets all summer long. And the 105 dry heat isn't her thing either. I don't know. It seems my wife and I differ on what our ideal climate is, other than southern California...which we cannot afford. Personally, I think Arizona could be ok, but she will have none of that....

Old 08-27-2015, 03:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I have always been very open with my kids (now in their late twenties/early thirties) about my mistakes and the problems and pain they caused. My advice to them has always been "Be creative and make your own mistakes, don't make mine twice!"
Good advise. my father told me that you learn one way or the other and the easiest is to listen to someone who learned the hard way. Kind of always struck with me. Hopefully your kids listen. Another I remember but never who advised it is; life is 10% problems and 90% about what you do about them.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:48 PM

36 posts, read 43,272 times
lots of great info on Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community forums

Old 08-27-2015, 06:32 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Very true. I lived in Atlanta in the 70s when we had over 40 straight days of 100 or better with humidity; brutal. I am in NC now and have been in a few discussions with Floridians where I trotted out the weather almanac entries to show it is almost identical everywhere in the south during the summer (dew points in the 70s, highs in the 90s). They just get more of it. But 4 months of it is still too long if you can't deal with it and 6-7 months isn't really too long if you can. You can bounce up to the cities in C-D and compare the summer months in Raleigh to Tampa. It is much closer than you might imagine.
True, and I've never understood Florida hate due to this. At least in Tampa, winters are still very comfortable, whereas in Raleigh you do get a true winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement