Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:06 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

In red below......that's easier said than done for older folks! I talked to her brother, who is 64, and he told me the owner of the small company he works for gets upset with him because he goes to slow in things he given to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This is contradictory to your OP that her degree was outdated. She was hired because she has a degree. Does your wife have memory issues at work? Is she making mistakes? That is the core reason she is on a PIP.

The only thing she can do at this point is preform better than she was. Stop making mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:14 AM

I don't know what type of mistakes she is making at work, but she is a devoted employee. Of course, being her husband, that's the way I see her. She did tell me the other night, "perhaps I'm just getting tired of working there".

If they do let her go, in order to get UI, she has to verbally prove that they were wrong in letting her go......right? From what I know, the only guaranteed way to get UI is to be laid-off.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I don't know what type of mistakes she is making at work, but she is a devoted employee. Of course, being her husband, that's the way I see her. She did tell me the other night, "perhaps I'm just getting tired of working there".

If they do let her go, in order to get UI, she has to verbally prove that they were wrong in letting her go......right? From what I know, the only guaranteed way to get UI is to be laid-off.
Unemployment compensation is state-dependent. You really need to understand how this works in your state. You do not want to rely on posters, especially if not from FL. Use the web to find out about FL law if you cannot afford a lawyer.

(If you DO have a possible age discrimination complaint you may be able to get a lawyer on contingency.)

Your wife should not sign anything without careful consideration and probably not until consulting a lawyer. Sometimes companies will offer a "voluntary" termination package and sometimes they will try to pressure employees into immediately accepting it.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:36 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Frankly, you guys are being greedy. You're well past retirement age. Ride off into the sunset and let the next generation make a life for themselves too. Coasting along at your position for another year or two so you can eek out an extra $30/month on your SS check while young up-and-comers trying to get into the working world have to sit back and watch is reprehensible. Learn when enough is enough and move on. There are plenty of age-appropriate things you can do after retirement to supplement your income. Turn over a new leaf and start a new chapter.
They may well be greedy in this particular case, and I certainly do not support hanging on when one's age-related mental and/or physical declines affect job performance, which is indeed reprehensible. However, there is no such thing as "retirement age". Just because Social Security has a certain age with a bureaucratic name ("full retirement age") attached to it doesn't mean everyone has to dance to Social Security's tune. Work and retirement are matters of individual choice. For example, it used to be considered normal for women to stay at home and care for the children, and many such women never worked at all. Now that's no longer the case; whether that's good or bad we can argue without end, but it remains a matter of individual choice.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 AM

One thing I do want to let everyone know that reads this thread:

I totally support my wife in whatever decision she makes about looking for another full-time job or taking on a temp one. With the right job, in which she's really not sure if this is the right job for her anymore, but if they end up keeping her for ? weeks/months, she will continue doing the best she can. And, not getting any pressure, from a new job, about "job performance" things, she could and wants to, continue working. What can I say.....unlike me, the lady loves to work!

As for me, she completely understands how much of a problem I had getting another job after we quit our jobs in Colorado and moved due to winter weather that finally got the best of both of us. She has the University degree and I have none. Her resume looks much more "educated" than mine does! I enjoy staying at home and doing the things that need to be done at home (laundry/dishes/etc.) than I do working........and she totally supports my feelings. She also knows the physical "limitations" I have from the surgeries that I've had and fully supports my feelings about what type of job I'd want if I wanted to go back to work. It may just come down to me getting a part-time job, but she'd rather have me at home taking care of things. Some ladies would take this as being a "weak lady" towards me, but that's just her personality.

Anyway, I just wanted to add this in, because I was seeing some replies hinting at how our marriage/our personalities are concerning working.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:26 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Please keep us posted. I'd really like to know how it works out for her, or what she decides.

I suppose anything is possible, but I have to admit, when I first read your initial post and saw that your wife is 67...I did think: "Come on now...she's 67, and wants to find a full time job? Get real. She should have already been retired and she wants ANOTHER job? If you are laid off or fired at 67 -- give it up already and retire."

If I read correctly she was already over 60 when she was hired for this last job. That is itself was beating the odds. So she was lucky to get that. Which is not to say it can't happen again. But I doubt it. I just don't hear of many full-timers getting hired at 67 years old. Now, if she wants part-time work -- MAYbe?

And, she could have now made it more difficult for other older workers to get a job at this employer.....because it can point to her and say the last person we hired over 60.......was making mistakes, couldn't cut it -- and didn't even last 5 years. We had to fire the last "old person" we hired. It may not be TRUE....but it could be the minnset of HR and the hiring folks....especially if they're younger.

Last edited by selhars; 09-03-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 09:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Frankly, you guys are being greedy. You're well past retirement age. Ride off into the sunset and let the next generation make a life for themselves too. Coasting along at your position for another year or two so you can eek out an extra $30/month on your SS check while young up-and-comers trying to get into the working world have to sit back and watch is reprehensible. Learn when enough is enough and move on. There are plenty of age-appropriate things you can do after retirement to supplement your income. Turn over a new leaf and start a new chapter.
LOL Except the young "up and comers" are only individuals who don't have any real experience on the job and wouldn't be able to hold a candle to those seniors.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am your wife's age and I got pushed out of a job, even with exemplary job reviews. I am sure that age discrimination had something to do with it, although I had to sign a paper saying it wasn't, and it was a takeover situation. If an employer wants you out, you will be out. I doubt if her old degree has any bearing.

In my experience, your wife can give up on the idea of ever getting another full time job, No employer wants to hire anyone who is 67. Both my husband and I are retirement age, but have only been able to find part time jobs and volunteer jobs.

I want to add that there is a lot more to it than just losing the job; that happens to people every day. For someone your wife's age, it is a serious life passage. It is an ending beyond our control, in which she joins the rest of us who became spectators instead of participants, against our will.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-03-2015 at 11:15 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 10:02 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey
Quote:
Age appropriate things? Talk about insulting. Why is working not age appropriate? Also, what are the 'plenty' of things she can do to supplement her income?
While I don't agree with all the things in Kaz's comment I do feel a bit sorry for people who feel they need to work to be relevant, or make a difference in the world. OR who, quite frankly, NEED to work for the money -- at age 70. There was an old guy at my job who GOT LOST walking from one end of our floor to the other. Our company doesn't really FORCE people out but I think the managers finally did have a talk with him. He was sooo well respected. They'd already TRIED to be gentle about it...they took away all his assignments. For YEARS they let him enterprise his own work. But damn it: take the hint people. WHY did it have to come to managers forcing him out. Hell he'd FALLEN at work, and would forget why he even came over to your desk. He was a LIABILITY! What's it take to get people to move on?! In the end people felt sorry for him.

My corporation has people who have worked there 50 YEARS! so it's NOT anti-elderly. But darn it, people...know when it's time to hang it up. There are two men at my job 73 years old....gobbling up all the OT they can get. ONE is already collecting a previous job 's pension, his Soc Sec -- AND making six figures at this job!

Retire already! Geez what do you want to do DIE at work?!
It's SAD when your job is your life.....SAD!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:21 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
There is a difference between letting someone go because of their age, and letting someone go because at their age they are no longer capable of performing their duties competently. Employers don't feel the need to make any kind of concessions for older workers who can't keep up.

I hate to say it but I see this in myself and some of my older co-workers. It gets harder to do any kind of lifting, harder to learn and remember all the new new equipment and new software and new programs (and it seems like there is something new to learn every week!). Often the other employees are asked to 'help' the struggling employees, which places an additional burden on them.
At some point it's just not productive to keep the employee that needs more and more help from others to make sure their job is done properly and it only makes sense to let them go. I'm sure I won't be happy when it happens to me, but I will understand why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement