Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 08:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Wait a minute. I thought your mother was receiving Medicaid, courtesy of the taxpayers. Sounds like she didn't plan very well, y'know? Another taker.
You need a better understanding of how the system works....

Two groups of people and Karma

Person A: Goes to college, investing in their future (income). Start out life with college debt. They work, pay bills, buy and pay off house, save, invests, plans for future when they can no longer work. Also notice they may make more money, even though they have college debt and they also pay a lot in federal taxes (pay into the system).

Person B: Does not work (for a multitude of reasons). Or they may work but did not invest in their future income (college) so they generally work for lower wages. Many in this group take out of the system (welfare). Many don't pay federal taxes, low income (don't pay into the system).

When both A and B are elderly and go to a nursing home:

Person A: Has assets (savings, investments, house). They pay their NH bill with their money. Many times they are forced to sell their home and use the proceeds from the sale of their home to pay for the NH bill. Only when all money is spent do they qualify for Medicaid.

Person B: They have no money and no assets. The government pays for all medical care and nursing home bill from day one. (notice that many in this category have been receiving tax payer funded money all or most of their lives).

Last edited by petch751; 12-15-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 10:35 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
And how about when Person A is felled by a permanent major disabling illness in mid-career? Are they then deadbeats because they may need to take more back than they put in, because they can no longer work?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You need a better understanding of how the system works....

Two groups of people and Karma

Person A: Goes to college, investing in their future (income). Start out life with college debt. They work, pay bills, buy and pay off house, save, invests, plans for future when they can no longer work. Also notice they may make more money, even though they have college debt and they also pay a lot in federal taxes (pay into the system).

Person B: Does not work (for a multitude of reasons). Or they may work but did not invest in their future income (college) so they generally work for lower wages. Many in this group take out of the system (welfare). Many don't pay federal taxes, low income (don't pay into the system).

When both A and B are elderly and go to a nursing home:

Person A: Has assets (savings, investments, house). They pay their NH bill with their money. Many times they are forced to sell their home and use the proceeds from the sale of their home to pay for the NH bill. Only when all money is spent do they qualify for Medicaid.

Person B: They have no money and no assets. The government pays for all medical care and nursing home bill from day one. (notice that many in this category have been receiving tax payer funded money all or most of their lives).
Oh, I understand very well how the system works. Instead of your family supporting your mother, my children and other taxpayers will provide her the needed support, subject to Congress not cutting Medicaid, of course.

Justifications, cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy, blah blah blah, nothing new here.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
And how about when Person A is felled by a permanent major disabling illness in mid-career? Are they then deadbeats because they may need to take more back than they put in, because they can no longer work?
Well that is who the "safety net" is supposed to be for isn't it? Not for people who are able bodied but scam the system.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Oh, I understand very well how the system works. Instead of your family supporting your mother, my children and other taxpayers will provide her the needed support, subject to Congress not cutting Medicaid, of course.

Justifications, cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy, blah blah blah, nothing new here.
So in other words you didn't read my post.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So in other words you didn't read my post.
Let me ask you. Did you step up to help your mother or did you just defer to the system? If it wasn't your responsibility to help your mother, then why do you believe the system should help your mother who ISN'T poor.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:24 PM

436 posts, read 302,637 times
Quote:

Try reading her posts a little slower.

Then you might understand a little more about what you speak

To Charlygal:
She did take care of her mother. She MORE Than took care of her, check her threads before making those accusations.

You're missing a sensitivity chip

No one could've been a better daughter

Old 12-15-2017, 07:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
Try reading her posts a little slower. Then you might understand a little more about what you speak

It's not that difficult to understand people, seriously...
Oh, the irony.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:22 PM

436 posts, read 302,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Oh, the irony.
Aint that the truth. You're too funny!!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Let me ask you. Did you step up to help your mother or did you just defer to the system? If it wasn't your responsibility to help your mother, then why do you believe the system should help your mother who ISN'T poor.
I stepped up to help my mother in addition to working and paying into the system just like she paid into the system when she was able to work, even though she could have gone on welfare but she was able bodied, chose to work, not going on welfare because she better than that. She would give anything to physically be able to work again too.

Obviously you didn't read my post very well.

Last edited by petch751; 12-15-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement