Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:17 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,539 times

Advertisements

As older women, who here [if they ever did] still wears full makeup, gets a lil botox or lazer on the skin, still checks to see how their bottom looks in a tight pair of jeans or anything like that?

Me? My hair is shorter but I sometimes add clip-on extensions [which I never did when young] and actually use more concealer and eyeliner than when I was younger. I still wear slightly high heels [ much shorter than when I was young] and after years of forgetting to wash off my makeup before ai went to bed, now use a clairsonic cleanser 3 times a week. I almost always wear jewelry now and I never did when younger, but I mostly wear it because I make jewelry and wearing it seems to be the best advertisement. What about the rest of you?

Almost forgot, just was gifted my first EVER studded leather biker jacket. Maybe I will wear it with my black leather boots and walk around singing "These boots are made for walking."

Last edited by vicky3vicky; 10-06-2015 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: needed to add something I forgot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:54 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Zero botox or laser or anysuch here, at age 67.
Hair white and short and tousled, I've never even heard of clip-on extensions???
Shampoo 2x a week, preceded by a rub-in of jojoba oil followed by a good shampoo with whatever brand is on hand. Let air-dry until almost dry, then work in some Rusk Wired and blow-dry while tousling with fingers.
I have one of those battery/brush things to exfoliate and I use it twice a week, not sure of the brand name, it may be a clairsonic but I think it's something cheap, maybe an Olay? I use a Murad exfoliation cream with it. It works.

Sunscreen, a dash of blush, pencil eyeliner and sweep of eyeshadow, and lip gloss every morning and I'm good to face the day. I touch up my brows with dye a couple of times a month so don't have to fool with them otherwise.

Only jewelry is a beloved pair of New Mexico handcrafted square hoop earring, won't leave home without 'em.
Jeans, capris, shorts are all good depending upon the weather but in cool temps my standby is yoga pants. Fit on my bottom is ok since I'm an avid runner/jogger/walker and do yoga daily.
Every single pair of jeans, yogas, dress pants, shorts, capris coordinates with every single top I have. That's something I learned from traveling a lot in retirement. I just wish I had discovered this trick earlier. I can literally close my eyes in my closet, pull out a top and a bottom and they coordinate!

All-in-all it takes me 15-20 minutes to shower and groom and apply makeup every morning, longer than DH but shorter than my 30-something sons.

I'm happy with how I look. If someone looking at me sees ugly and old, that's on them and not on me.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 10-07-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 12:15 AM

134 posts, read 158,308 times
I hang out here, even though I'm 4 years from retiring. I'm 56.

No botox, lazer, but my bottom works fine, since I run and regularly place in the local runs with a sub 26 minute 5K.

Years of cycling, tennis, running has caused age spots on my face that I'm not too happy about. I started wearing a bit of concealing foundation, a lip tint, eye liner.

I color my hair, but would love to go grey, except my BH is not quite ready for that.

Takes me about 5-10 minutes to shower, jump out, and go. I prefer stretchy plain skirts or shorts with roomy pockets and V neck t-shirts. Or spring dresses! I gave up heels years ago, and with lower back problems, wear Hokas as my work shoe. Lol, only footwear that prevents lower back aches.

I make jewelry too. I wear a few favorites, but I usually go without. I need to be better about that!

Old 10-07-2015, 12:40 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedolce View Post
I color my hair, but would love to go grey, except my BH is not quite ready for that.
At 56 I might have indulged DH a bit, been willing to wait for him to grow up. Beyond that, he's just projecting his own fear of aging onto you.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times
I love my graying hair. I get far more compliments on my natural markings than I did when my hair was maroon one week and mahogany the next. I'd consider botox, actually I was researching it just yesterday. Still thin, still looking good in jeans, and I walk 10,000 miles a day. I take a page from the men, men who age handsomely, graying or balding naturally. Nothing worse than an over-accessorized, over-dyed, every hair controlled and plastered down older woman. Just my opinion.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:20 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Oh dear.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,346,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
At 56 I might have indulged DH a bit, been willing to wait for him to grow up. Beyond that, he's just projecting his own fear of aging onto you.

Heavens, amen to this. I agree, do what you want.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
If I am going somewhere, I always put on makeup, but its not a lot. All over loose powder, lipstick, light eye-shadow and good mascara. I love mascara. Feel naked without it.

Hair is gray and very short. Just put some mousse on it so it won't look like a hedgehog. Do exercise, do not over-indulge, do not want to get fat.

Wear the same "uniform" if I am at home - boyfriend jean shorts and a grey female tee-shirt. I say "female" because I refuse to wear the general boxy uni-sex t-shirt. So sloppy looking.

If I find something I like, I get it in multiple colors. I've started to wear colorful earrings because of my shorter hair.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:27 AM

756 posts, read 836,116 times
Hair is naturally white (thanks Mom and Grandpa!) and I love it. Keep it styled and fairly short which is a splurge for myself and completely worth it. My skin is sensitive now so avoid makeup and instead use a great moisturizer, a cream blush stick that can be used anywhere on the face and tinted lip gloss for day, lipstick at night.

I walk everyday and at every opportunity, stretches and exercise everyday to stay fit and healthy. Less jewelry now but earrings are a must. Flat but cute and comfy shoes/sneakers to keep my back happy. Small crossbody purse- so liberating, just the necessities! (and no shoulder pain!) Comfortable clothing is my mantra but it is stylish and colorful as well.

I have also gone against the grain so to speak- when I hit 60 became pro-aging instead of anti-aging. I am embracing this change but still living fully without trying to look years younger or stop the clock. That's a LOT of work and I find that actually living my healthy life and doing the activities that keep me healthy and happy are a better use of my time and physical/mental/spiritual energy.

I also have found that our attitude is who we really are and it shows on our face as well as in our demeanor. Kindness, gratitude, patience and wisdom make for a beautiful woman no matter what her age.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:39 AM

134 posts, read 158,308 times
Wish I could rep you many more times, mamasplace! Love your last sentence.

Yes, my BH acknowledges it's his issue, and doesn't like seeing his own grey, hence keeping his head shaved, although I love seeing it myself.

Lol, seeriously, I think you mean 10,000 steps. That's how I started my 20 pound weight loss when I learned I was pre-diabetic. I got a Fitbit and started walking. Lost the little bugger, but I really enjoyed getting those steps in.

I need to do yoga. I never thought about the achy, stiff part of aging when I was younger. I know if it's a running day, to add an Advil to my breakfast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement