Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times

Advertisements

I live on Cape Cod and it's been humid this summer. The same humidity that keeps us sticky in the summer keeps the winters milder. They say San Diego has perfect year round weather but we were there a few years ago in May for a heatwave and temps were a sticky 90+/-.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 08:43 AM

82 posts, read 107,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
And puleese, do not say Arizona. I am already there. This summer has been very humid and it's not a dry heat here anymore. Why? Who knows. Maybe because of the jet stream, or the constant influx of people coming here, or the many ponds and lakes, or the man up above who has declared this. Where can one go to live these days where the summer is not humid and horrid? Does anyone know??
The west coast- specifically near the Pacific ocean which has a great cooling effect. I am allergic to mold and get very sick in humidity but have not had any problems since moving to Oakland, CA.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:41 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Lots and lots of disagreement about humid places, so far. No one has mentioned NW Arkansas or Indiana, or Tennessee yet. If I need an ocean breeze, I would have to suck it up and stay in a tent somewhere on the beach, cause real estate is way too expensive. Keep the ideas coming, folks.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:49 AM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Those are a myth. I challenge you to find a single day in an almanac like that. Provide a link.

EDIT - checked on calculator on this web page and it would require a dew point of 93.34, which I think would be a new record, world wide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point#Extreme_values

Quote:
Extreme values
A dew point of 91 °F (33 °C) was observed at 2:00 p.m. on July 12, 1987, in Melbourne, Florida. A dew point of 90 °F (32 °C) has been observed in the United States on at least two occasions: Appleton, Wisconsin, at 5:00 p.m. on July 13, 1995, and New Orleans Naval Air Station at 5:00 p.m. on July 30, 1987. A dew point of 95 °F (35 °C) was observed at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, at 3:00 p.m. on July 8, 2003. Dew points this high are extremely rare occurrences.[8]
Your move, sir

Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
If you check NWS, as I did for an earlier post or two, you will see that the day before the initial post was unusually humid for Phoenix. There do seem to be more of those unusual days this time of year and they don't seem to be as rare as they used to be but overall it is going to be very difficult to find any climate that has more low humidity days than Phoenix.

I agree about the earlier sea breeze comment; I think summer days on the FL coast are easier to take than scorchers in Atlanta and Raleigh (each of which I have lived in or around over 20 years) even though the humidity is historically about the same. The coast moderates the temperatures also. Sarasota has 100 degrees only once since they started keeping records; I was in Atlanta the summer they had 42 straight days over 100 and I think we had 8 in a row in Raleigh a few years ago. FL goes longer without a break though; while 100s are rare, 90s are there for most of the year. When the heat rises, the RH% drops as it is a function of dew point and temperature, but if the dew point is in the 70s or greater it will feel sticky when it heats up even if the RH drops to "only" 60 or so.
Orlando can be hot. But inland Jacksonville is even hotter. Get 10 miles from the beach and the weather drastically changes, and the river keeps the humidity high. Atlanta and Orlando also stay hot because of all the buildings and asphalt.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:17 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Lots and lots of disagreement about humid places, so far. No one has mentioned NW Arkansas or Indiana, or Tennessee yet. If I need an ocean breeze, I would have to suck it up and stay in a tent somewhere on the beach, cause real estate is way too expensive. Keep the ideas coming, folks.
Where at in TN? Memphis is pretty humid and so is Nashville and Chattanooga. I'm not sure about Knoxville.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Every place you just listed has relatively high humidity through the summer months - exactly what you said you were trying to avoid, and you cited AZ as having too much humidity in the Phoenix area. With those data points, and assuming you want to stay in the US, the inter mountain west is really the only place that comes close to meeting your criteria.

There are a lot of great places to live in the US, but the low humidity requirement eliminates a significant number of those places.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:43 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Low humidity would be Vegas, Utah, Idaho, Montana Wyoming. If you want a cool summer, then Seattle or anywhere in the Pacific coast. A good all-around climate would be Medford, Or.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
That validates what I said except that when I said I thought it would be a new world record, it may not be after all. It appears that once in the Mideast there was a dew point high enough to have 95% humidity at 95 degrees. I still say it is a myth that anyone in the US has experienced this ever, let alone so often that it was a problem. Your info backs that up; thanks for that. Most of the "horrid high humidity" people complain about is actually an RH in the 70% range. What happens is people hear the forecast in the morning when the temperature is near the dew point and the RH is in the 90+ % range. Then the weatherman tells them that the temperature will be in the 90s and they assume the RH will remain constant. It does not. Check the calculator I posted earlier. As air warms it can hold much more moisture so the relative humidity drops because even though the air has just as much moisture in it, RH is a measure of how much it has versus how much it could have. Anyway, you proved me wrong on one "I think" about the record but completely validated what I said about it being a myth that anyone ever experienced 95% humidity at 95 degrees in NJ. From the article you posted, I can expand that to say anywhere in the US.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:01 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,607 times
Quote:
Indiana, at least the NW portion where I'm from, is very humid in the summertime, and this summer was one of the worst as far as humidity goes. We seldom had a day where the humidity was less than 50% and most days humidity was above 70%. In my younger days, I would escape to the beach but as I've aged the beach attraction faded. Factor in the lake effect snows and I wouldn't recommend anyone retire to this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement