Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:41 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Well, New Jersey is one of the most tax-unfriendly, but I'm staying put, anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:54 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
As I've written before, my 2014 total California state income tax liability was about $3,500. My property taxes are low and I don't pay sales taxes on groceries. So if it only costs me $3,500 per year more to live in California, that is the bargain of the century and is well worth every penny.

Yes, I am aware that taxation is only part of the cost of living and I concede that the cost of living here as opposed to, say, Tennessee or Georgia, has more factors than just state income taxes. However, my point remains that living here is well worth every penny it costs.

All this agonizing about taxes seems strange to me. What about living where we will be happy? Of course there is nothing wrong with being informed about taxes for retirees - it would be silly to move somewhere only to get an unpleasant surprise about taxes. So links like the one in this thread are valuable and legitimate and I do not wish to denigrate them. It is the degree of agonizing which I don't understand.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:09 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I don't understand how Indiana is least tax friendly and Illinois is better. Everyone knows about the horrendous real estate taxes in IL. This doesn't seem right.
Illinois has a huge advantage since it does not tax retirement income!

For Indiana:

"IRAS & 401(K)S & PRIVATE PENSIONS
Taxable at ordinary income tax rates."

For Illinois:

Payouts are not taxed."

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Indiana -Kiplinger

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Illinois -Kiplinger

Old 10-18-2015, 01:52 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
I'm with ER.

Quality of life counts for a lot.

Food and groceries are taxed in Utah. The local sales taxes are growing in size as the population increases. My property taxes here are also growing as the population and desire to move here grows. In 17 years they've doubled.

They're about equivalent to that where we will move in California.

We also expect to have a greater income when we retire as we have lived well below our income here.

It's all about what you value.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Good resource, but at a glance I noticed it wasn't complete for NY.

I live in NY state and there is an exemption for military service. Since I was in for 20+ years and during that time served while conflicts occurred, I am given additional property tax reductions.

In addition if you have a VA disability, depending upon the percentage, that also reduces your property tax.

Also agree quality of life is very important. We spend four months a year in FL and I don't care whether it is one of the best states for retirement, I could never live there full-time. There is a lot of crime for one thing, it is flat and HOT in April through October.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:51 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Illinois has a huge advantage since it does not tax retirement income!

For Indiana:

Taxable at ordinary income tax rates."

For Illinois:

Payouts are not taxed."

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Indiana -Kiplinger

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Illinois -Kiplinger

Until you pay your real estate taxes ...

I can pay 2.8% on a lot of retirement income in AZ before I overcome the $5k per year in property taxes I left in IL. And I was living in the low rent district of the Chicago Suburbs. I had colleagues paying 2-3x that.

And if you structure your charitable contributions in AZ properly, you can offset most of your state tax liability.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:17 PM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
As everyone is chiming in. There are lots of factors besides taxes to consider. Also even if taxes are high there are strategies to mitigate those taxes. CA is certainly a very nice state to live in. I can say that every state has good points and bad. You can make it anywhere if you are determined enough.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:57 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
As everyone is chiming in. There are lots of factors besides taxes to consider. Also even if taxes are high there are strategies to mitigate those taxes. CA is certainly a very nice state to live in. I can say that every state has good points and bad. You can make it anywhere if you are determined enough.
California is a nice state to live in if you're either wealthy or illegal. That's why millions of middle class people here have moved to other states. I hope to soon be one of those.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:28 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
California is a nice state to live in if you're either wealthy or illegal. That's why millions of middle class people here have moved to other states. I hope to soon be one of those.
I am middle class and legal, not even close to upper middle class; California is a nice state to live in for me. If you don't like California I have no quarrel with that, but what you wrote above is just pure nonsense.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:08 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Still it is a good list but, one other notable exception I think Submariner will chime in on that Maine is a "Not Tax Friendly" state. I would have put that in mixed as well. I could be wrong but may he can enlighten us.
I don't live far from Submariner. Having lived in Rhode Island, I find Maine to be much less burdensome for taxes than RI. He finds it better than CT. I pay less than $800 in property taxes on 33 acres; I believe he pays even less on 100 acres. Maine does have a state sales tax, but with NH next door, that is easy to skirt for large purchases. Maine's income tax is the only real issue I have.

Our vacation property in TN will be our official residence, for that very reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement