Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:43 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,624 times

Advertisements

If she has any money at all, might want to consult a lawyer to see if conditions such as you mention are enforceable. Might be a court would declare that thing about no overnight guests unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 10:49 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I'm not sure what she has. Does not sound like much. I, again, don't want to be intrusive and will wait for her to let me know what's happening. Such a delicate balance between being a friend & being intrusive.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 935,624 times
I agree with you completely.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
This story seems just a little too over the top for me. Except for the fact that I have a dear female friend in a somewhat similar situation in that she has been the live-in girlfriend of a divorced male for @20 years, no marriage, and this male is likely to pass away. Oh, and did I mention the adult daughters, and I believe, a family trust.

I wonder if this lady has some living relatives that may be able to help her? Some friends somewhere? It could be that her late boyfriend did not want her communicating with others, since he was a controlling person.

Something is not adding up. Who pays all the utilities? Who mows the grass? How is she eating? Does she drive a car? Who pays for that, and whose name is on the title?

Way back when I was younger, I remember a Hollywood "pal-i-money" case that drew a lot of public attention. If I remember right, the woman got some money. But back to this lady, just be careful. There are some people out there who are really good talkers and tell some juicy tales that are not true at all.

Maybe she really needs a friend, but I would do watch you're doing, and tread softly.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:20 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
As far as I know, everyone over 65 who is an American national and who has no Social Security wages is eligible for Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI). https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-11000.pdf

Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Hollyhock, she has a daughter, who is the one I am friends with, who is struggling on her own. And Larry, yes, I thought there was something in place, but the woman is only 62. I was hoping I could tell her daughter that there was something in place.

And you're right, it doesn't add up & I am somewhat amazed she has opened up as much as she has, but, as I said, we've become friends. We just got to talking about how she came to be here, in this little town (me because my mother had grown up here & her because her mother had come with the boyfriend here & then convinced her daughter to come).

She, the daughter, works at the gas station/mini mart & when I don't feel like driving the 9 miles to the grocery stores, I stop in there. It's taken a long time for both of us to open up. The boyfriend, who she called her stepdad, as he & her mother had been together for so long, just died.

That's how this all started, because I told her that her mother should be entitled to widow' s benefits. She broke down and told me they hadn't been married.

I'm just trying to see if there is anything I can tell her to help the mom's situation. I did not want to give her hope for something because I had no clue. I'm personally a little flabbergasted because her mom let this go on for so long without some sort of written promise. The mom & I are the same age & I have a hard time with a woman doing something like that, especially for so long, especially in this day and age.

Last edited by meo92953; 10-23-2015 at 04:07 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 06:08 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I think that she should look up displaced homemakers and that might give her some kind of idea of what kind of help is out there . There has got to be something out there .Many years ago I knew a young girl who was living with a fire fighter , sadly he passed on 9/11 and because they were not married she was entitled to nothing . His parents and family were a piece of work they put her , out of the house that he owned . I feel for women like this but I also encourage women to get something in writing if you are not married and for got sakes get it signed and notarized . I do believe that will stand up in court . I hope your friends mother will look up displaced homemakers and maybe that can help.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
IMHO a lot of people think that they will be covered by having a "common law marriage" but I believe that only about nine states honor that. And, even in those states often something "proactive" needs to be done like registering with the courts while both parties are alive. Or the possible "benefits" are very limited.

I am so sorry for your friend's mother. Perhaps an organization for abused women may have some ideas of what she can do.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:19 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
Meo, what about the first husband? the daughter's father. How long were they married?

You are a nice lady.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I can see additional problems, since she is staying in the house rent-free and there are heirs. What will happen if the house needs repairs, such as appliance failure, plumbing, roof or electrical, and she has no income? How will she pay for the utilities? It seems unlikely that the kids will pay for any of that under the circumstances, until she leaves and they get ready to cash in. She has only one option, getting a job as soon as possible, and that won't be easy with the lack of experience and age. The best thing you can do is to coach her on job applications and interviewing, and help look for jobs that require no experience. With no rent she could survive on minimum wage, but hopefully can do better in time, because when that 10 years is up rent will be even higher than now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement