Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM

595 posts, read 1,256,664 times

Advertisements

Family literally lives in the middle of nowhere...pricey to visit them and they can't afford to go anywhere. Roseburg, OR seems to have some fairly low rents, love Sacramento, CA but couldn't find a job to meet the 3X the requirement of income to rent! By necessity, I've made budget shopping my hobby, love craft fairs and swap meets, really miss OC marketplace in Costa Mesa, CA. I have awhile to plan but am not sure where or how to start, flying by the seat of my pants usually results in ripped pants for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
I think I'm a bit confused by your actual question. What is it you are asking?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM

419 posts, read 758,713 times
I am confused too. Are you talking about living in Arizona during the winter and then finding some place to go in the summer to escape the heat?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,764,835 times
Very confusing. What is the question ? Are you retired ? What is this about needing a job three times the amount of rent. Are you needing to look for work full time in two different locations over the course of a year ? How is that going to work out ? Most people who retire to two different locations are not dependent upon jobs.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 PM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
AZ winters where would you go in summer?
Roseburg, OR...
Maybe not Roseburg... but somewhere in the Wilamette or the OR coast would be very nice.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe not Roseburg... but somewhere in the Wilamette or the OR coast would be very nice.
yes, try near Portland or Eugene, OR

or western WA. (Olympia might have some cheap summer rents due to politicians heading home for vacation)

Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
Sacramento summer isn't much less diabolically hot than Arizona.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:49 PM

595 posts, read 1,256,664 times
Landlords tend to collect the application fee, the credit check fee then tell me that there needs to be three times the rent in verifiable income.

Every job I've taken is a downslide in pay per hour or in hours offered.

Ideally, I'd like to be a working snowbird I like AZ winters and Sacramento summers are just a tiny bit cooler during the day and way cooler at night. But I love being inside watching a summer monsoon!

The question is as a woman alone with these income parameters which apparently have been pulled out of a hat just for people they don't really want to rent to but collect the credit check and application fee and have some extra income this week.

An ex was attracted to Roseburg, OR for some reason. I was just throwing it out there because it appealed to him...I've never been there. I've never had good luck winging anything. I plan and prepare and still usually fall short. I just want the remainder of my life to be as pleasant as possible.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:19 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
I have known a number of people who are snowbirds without leaving Arizona. They live down in the valley near Phoenix in the winter and go up to the high country around Flagstaff, Prescott or Mund's park in summer. PHX is at 1100' and Flagstaff is at 7000'. They are very different climates.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:52 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
The question is as a woman alone with these income parameters which apparently have been pulled out of a hat just for people they don't really want to rent to but collect the credit check and application fee and have some extra income this week.
Not having any idea what your current life is like, your health or whether you have any savings makes a reasonable response difficult, but...

I wouldn't rent an apartment. I'd buy a smallish used RV. Winters in AZ would be heaven, summers I could go anywhere I liked. I like the Workamping idea: You take on a part-time or full-time seasonal job and get a free campsite with utilities and wages as well.

Quote:
An ex was attracted to Roseburg, OR for some reason. I was just throwing it out there because it appealed to him...I've never been there.
I met a woman who was working at a Eugene company but she'd come from back East, near Boston. I commented that Oregon must be a big change for her. She said, "On the east coast if you drive two hours you're in another major city. Here, if you drive two hours you're in Roseburg." I grew up in Oregon. My idea of hell would be having to live there.

Quote:
I've never had good luck winging anything. I plan and prepare and still usually fall short. I just want the remainder of my life to be as pleasant as possible.
Don't we all, though. Don't we all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement