Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 05:07 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I like many of the suggestions for gifts for seniors. For birthday or Christmas I like flashlights or other practical ideas. But for dinner invitation I finally decided on a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Creme. I remembered I served it once at my home and she had never had it before and seems to enjoy it. It's fun to sip all by yourself or to bring out after dinner for guests. She was especially happy that I remembered her enjoyment of it at my home. That is exactly the kind of personal connection I was looking for.
Good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 03:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Gift card to Starbucks or Panera or similar. That's what I'd bring.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:42 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
I like many of the suggestions for gifts for seniors. For birthday or Christmas I like flashlights or other practical ideas. But for dinner invitation I finally decided on a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Creme. I remembered I served it once at my home and she had never had it before and seems to enjoy it. It's fun to sip all by yourself or to bring out after dinner for guests. She was especially happy that I remembered her enjoyment of it at my home. That is exactly the kind of personal connection I was looking for.
Perfect! I'll remember that for the future.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:43 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
What is Harvey's Bristol Creme? What does it taste like? Heavy and sweet? I have never had it, but want to know before I try it. Thanks!

Old 11-22-2015, 05:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
It definitely is a sipping sherry but mixed with other ingredients makes fun cocktails. This is a new concept for me. But I am of a generation where a pre (or even after) dinner drink of Bristol Cream was very welcomed. I remember it being served at luncheons as well. Sweet and delicious. It was always very impressive ,at least to me and my generation.

Review - Harveys Bristol Cream | thecocktailgeek

Old 11-23-2015, 05:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Old 11-25-2015, 10:54 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
I attended my second house blessing last Saturday and wanted to take a little something, not as a housewarming gift but just to not arrive empty-handed. The first one I attended earlier this year, I took a small bouquet of flowers. For this one I found, at the Hallmark store, a box of "Harvest Flavors" Jelly Belly gourmet jelly beans. The box showed all the different flavors, 6, I believe, that were specifically chosen/made for the fall/Thanksgiving season.

I have found at the local Hallmark stores Jelly Belly gourmet jelly beans in all sorts of sizes, flavors, and unique gifty-type packaging. For the young woman at my auto dealership who was expecting her first child, I found, bought and gave her a package of "champagne" flavored Jelly Bellys, and for her husband, a decorative beer can of Jelly Bellys. She was tickled by them.

Now, I find Hallmark has individual packages of Jelly Bellys selling for $1.25/$1.50 that say "Thank You" or "Happy Birthday" on them. I use them to surprise service people who treat me well/go out of their way for me. A couple bank tellers, a female server in a restaurant, and the man who "knows" me at my local Post Office have all received a "Thank You", and they really are surprised and happy to receive these small tokens of gratitude from me. Who doesn't like Jelly Beans, especially Jelly Belly brand?

The Christmas packages are out now, I will go soon and clean them out to use as small gifts for others who I cross paths with.

ETA: those buttons on Oprah's chest in the third picture...."Everybody gets a candle" are definitely in the wrong place.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:09 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
I have brought a card with un used postage inside.

Everybody's favorite.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,988,264 times
I take something tailored specifically to the host's interests. In my case, dogs are usually involved, so I take an assortment of high-end dog treats, or if not, then specialty olive oil if they cook, a book for a child if they have children, or specialty beer brews if they are beer aficionados, etc.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:07 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I attended my second house blessing last Saturday and wanted to take a little something, not as a housewarming gift but just to not arrive empty-handed. The first one I attended earlier this year, I took a small bouquet of flowers. For this one I found, at the Hallmark store, a box of "Harvest Flavors" Jelly Belly gourmet jelly beans. The box showed all the different flavors, 6, I believe, that were specifically chosen/made for the fall/Thanksgiving season.

I have found at the local Hallmark stores Jelly Belly gourmet jelly beans in all sorts of sizes, flavors, and unique gifty-type packaging. For the young woman at my auto dealership who was expecting her first child, I found, bought and gave her a package of "champagne" flavored Jelly Bellys, and for her husband, a decorative beer can of Jelly Bellys. She was tickled by them.

Now, I find Hallmark has individual packages of Jelly Bellys selling for $1.25/$1.50 that say "Thank You" or "Happy Birthday" on them. I use them to surprise service people who treat me well/go out of their way for me. A couple bank tellers, a female server in a restaurant, and the man who "knows" me at my local Post Office have all received a "Thank You", and they really are surprised and happy to receive these small tokens of gratitude from me. Who doesn't like Jelly Beans, especially Jelly Belly brand?

The Christmas packages are out now, I will go soon and clean them out to use as small gifts for others who I cross paths with.

ETA: those buttons on Oprah's chest in the third picture...."Everybody gets a candle" are definitely in the wrong place.
What a great idea! I have some friends I would like to give a small Christmas gift to, and since I am financially challenged, these fall into my price category.

Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement