Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:28 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times

Advertisements

Also, as I mentioned in a previous thread, IF you are married before retirement, and expect to be in about the same tax bracket in retirement, by contributing to a Roth then, you are also hedging for the possibility of either you or your spouses death, and the survivor paying taxes at the much higher single rate on tIRA distributions. Just a twist on the lower tax bracket now (married) vs higher bracket later (single). Same income, different brackets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:33 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Another factor worth considering is for a younger person who might still be investing 25% or so of their portfolio in riskier, higher return sectors to designate the Roth for that type of investment while keeping a standard IRA and/or 401k for the bulk of their retirement savings.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
... riskier, higher return sectors to designate the Roth for that type of investment while keeping a standard IRA and/or 401k for the bulk of their retirement savings.
This is what I have done, Position highest gains in ROTH. I have set aside a ROTH for Real Estate properties bought for gains (20% + gains, some are 100%+, a couple properties have been 300% gain (freeway property I rezoned to commercial)) ROTH is nice for this, as I can withdraw my contributions when needed elsewhere and leave the gains parked in the ROTH.

I have Traditional IRA's that hold my Real Estate that is rented out. (income portion of portfolio ~10% net returns)

Counterpoint... Always good to listen to others!
The Kiplinger Washington Editors

"My point is, foregoing a tax deduction today for a promise in the future is probably not a good idea unless you are in a 10-15% bracket, in which case you're not giving up much.
Read more at http://www.kiplinger.com/article/investing/T047-C032-S014-roth-a-wolf-in-sheep-s-clothing.html#z1AVgxuQr4hYF0m6.99"

Agreed... after 'tax planning' / standard manipulations / deductions / accelerated depreciation... my current rates are usually much less than 10%, so I am in agreement with Joe. His comment of a potential VAT send chills up my plan. I am GLAD I am no longer accumulating 'STUFF'. As does the reality of what (Affordable?)CA is gonna do to long term taxation. I would say "The Party is Over" and we need to look to our European predecessors and how they are making out! I am always surprised to see so many (millions annually) on Medi-vacations to Asia since quite a few supposedly have National Healthcare solutions. They have been coming to Asia (and elsewhere) for 40+ yrs for dental / vision / medical procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement