Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:28 PM

115 posts, read 204,938 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if I can post this here or not. But I'll give it the college try.
First, a little information...my husband and I are in our early sixties, husband retired early from a work accident that left him disabled with a closed head injury and a crushed leg. I am semi-retired and do sewing and alterations and sell at craft shows.
We live in a small neighborhood cul-de-sac court of 10 homes, blue collar neighborhood, some very young kids (20's) up to 65. We bought our home in 2013, paid cash from scrimping and saving for about 35 years, so all we have is utilities, property taxes and house and car insurance and groceries and daily living expenses, and a reasonable vehicle payment. We lived in crap neighborhoods and trailer parks so we could retire and not be in dept. I'm glad the home is paid for, because of my husband's injury. If it wasn't, we would of had to sell the home. We don't splurge and are fairly comfortable, not rich, but happy. We do not mingle with the neighbors or talk, no one here is particularly friendly, we mind our own business and pretty much sit in the backyard.
A month ago, husband found a good, used 2009 pickup, 4 wheel drive, where we live, we need 4 wheel because of snow and rotten weather on occasions. He was very happy with the purchase. Got home, every thing was fine, then a few weeks ago, we were outside, just looking at the truck, and a neighbor who we don't know or talk to came across the street, drunk and proceeded to scream at us for buying a truck, and we can't afford it and then went on screaming.
My husband, who does have early dementia, just told him he wasn't going to give him any satisfaction of a fight, I, personally, was pretty taken back as to his actions, but we just walked away and his wife came out and drugged him back into the garage.
We felt that calling the cops would escalate a bigger problem, you see, this guy is a biker and works for the Railroad, which is a big employer here in our community, most have attitudes, and he has big biker buddies.
I guess my question is...have any of you had neighbors climb all over you like this. Maybe it's my age, but I don't give a hoot about what the neighbors do. I'm pretty disturbed about someone who we don't know telling us we can't afford anything. I don't think anyone knows we are retired as we really don't show our age.
By the way, his wife works at a local appliance store and has told us in the store, we can't afford to buy appliances, and the manager lives next door to us. We have purchased a number of furnishings and appliances from this store. This woman has been there about two years now.
They are pretty nosy, since this guy's wife works where a lot of people buy furnishings and appliances and she has a big mouth in a small town. An unfortunate side effect of small towns. This neighbor also purchased a new pickup a month before my husband got his. Out of this guy's screaming, he was mad that we are trying to out do him, which we aren't. It was just coincidence that my husband found this truck at a dealership.
I guess I didn't realize I had to clear any purchases with the locals. I was born and raised in this community, and I'm finding people here are getting ill tempered and nasty.
Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 02:48 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
Likely he was too drunk to even remember what happened.

I don't understand behavior like that.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:09 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,957,413 times
Wow, what a pain of a neighbor. Not normal at all-maybe he was drunk or on drugs. What you buy is none of his business. I hope that you can make friends with others in your neighborhood. It makes for more pleasant living.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Good Grief !!! Ignore them. Your "wonderful" neighbor is trying to irk you just to make you mad. There are people like this in every community who have nothing better to do. They are the kind of people who need to control and be boss. You can put a damper on their plans but turning away every time you see them. Don't give them the time of day.

What you can or can not afford is none of their business. But if you are truly afraid of something more sinister, call the cops the next time.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:10 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
OP, in the future you may not want to post a long post like that as one big block. Some people see it and sort of mentally tune out. They're just not going to read it. Because it's hard to follow.

So having paragraphs can actually increase the chance of getting more responses....and therefore more suggestions/advice, and therefor more help with the issue or question at hand.

Just FYI.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:19 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, an employee of the appliance store was trying to discourage sales, telling you that you couldn't afford to buy their products? I would definitely have a talk with the manager, and let him know that. The employees' job is to support the business by encouraging sales, and creating a good relationship with customers. That's what customer service is all about. Your neighbor clearly doesn't get the concept.

I would have a neighborly chat with your next-door-neighbor, the manager, over the back fence, and let him know you're a little intimidated and uncomfortable going back into his store, because of one of his employees' behavior.

And congratulations on arranging a good retirement! That's quite an achievement.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:22 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denimflyz View Post
....A month ago, husband found a good, used 2009 pickup, ... we were outside looking at the truck, and a neighbor who we don't know or talk to came across the street, drunk and proceeded to scream at us for buying a truck, and we can't afford it and then went on screaming."
... His wife came out and dragged him back into the garage.
This seems to be the relevant part of your rambling post. Under the circumstances, the situation merits no further consideration, except to recognize this neighbor probably has drinking and anger issues -- and you are probably wise to avoid him in the future.

Case closed.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:44 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
What a nut job neighbor. I've had one, and you do have my sympathies.

Just ignore and avoid both husband and wife to the extent possible. Do not engage them. If they bother you further, be polite but firm "please leave" or "I'm going inside now", etc. Do not provoke a crazy neighbor; you have no idea what they might decide to do.

I found that having security cameras installed did wonders. You might give that some thought. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, an employee of the appliance store was trying to discourage sales, telling you that you couldn't afford to buy their products? I would definitely have a talk with the manager, and let him know that. The employees' job is to support the business by encouraging sales, and creating a good relationship with customers. That's what customer service is all about. Your neighbor clearly doesn't get the concept.

I would have a neighborly chat with your next-door-neighbor, the manager, over the back fence, and let him know you're a little intimidated and uncomfortable going back into his store, because of one of his employees' behavior.
Be careful with this kind of thing, OP. If you complain to your neighbor the store manager, and if he mentions it to your other neighbor the store employee who treated your poorly, you could REALLY have a problem with the nasty neighbor.

If it was me, I just wouldn't shop at that store any more, and I'd avoid interacting with the nasty neighbors in general. It's too bad your neighborhood is like that, but sometimes that's just the way it is.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
If I were you, I'l consider these neighbors "dead to me" and totally ignore them. Buy what you need elsewhere even if it means delivery fees, etc.

I thank God I do not live in a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement