Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times

Advertisements

Well.... when I got my saved 200 sick days back from 33 years but the IRS considers them to be a bonus, and they were with-held at the 25% bonus rate. So I got about $2500 less than I thought I would. Its in the category of what the IRS considers to be supplemental wages and these are always taxed at a flat 25%.

Now how this is handled when you do you income taxes in the spring, God only knows, probably only those akin to God in the IRS do too.

Uggh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 01:46 PM

126 posts, read 246,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Well.... when I got my saved 200 sick days back from 33 years but the IRS considers them to be a bonus, and they were with-held at the 25% bonus rate. So I got about $2500 less than I thought I would. Its in the category of what the IRS considers to be supplemental wages and these are always taxed at a flat 25%.

Now how this is handled when you do you income taxes in the spring, God only knows, probably only those akin to God in the IRS do too.

Uggh!
My company just offered a voluntary separation package and I am going to take it -- it will move my retirement date 7 months earlier from what I had planned. The severance payment will be a lump sum paid at time of separation in December, and as I understand it will have a 25% withholding. But that doesn't mean that 25% is the taxes owed on it. It will be added to my 2011 income as additional income, and will bump me into a higher bracket than I would be in for 2011. So I will be under-withheld on my regular income. I will have to estimate how much will be owed in April, both fed and state, and make sure I put that much aside.

I wish they would pay it in 2012, but there is some accounting reason they want to take the restructuring charge in this year.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_grouch View Post
My company just offered a voluntary separation package and I am going to take it -- it will move my retirement date 7 months earlier from what I had planned. The severance payment will be a lump sum paid at time of separation in December, and as I understand it will have a 25% withholding. But that doesn't mean that 25% is the taxes owed on it. It will be added to my 2011 income as additional income, and will bump me into a higher bracket than I would be in for 2011. So I will be under-withheld on my regular income. I will have to estimate how much will be owed in April, both fed and state, and make sure I put that much aside.

I wish they would pay it in 2012, but there is some accounting reason they want to take the restructuring charge in this year.
See if you can work a deal where they take the charge in December, but cut you the check in January. I assume they do accrual accounting, so they get the charge this year, while you on a cash basis, receive a check dated in January that become 2012 income for you. It's no different as your regular pay check that's paid in arrears, that is, your first pay check in January is for work mostly done in December.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
See if you can work a deal where they take the charge in December, but cut you the check in January. I assume they do accrual accounting, so they get the charge this year, while you on a cash basis, receive a check dated in January that become 2012 income for you. It's no different as your regular pay check that's paid in arrears, that is, your first pay check in January is for work mostly done in December.
I will ask!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
I got a severance check of about one-half year's wages. Called the accounting department before they cut the check and learned they were calculating federal and state taxes in a way very favorable to me. I've always claimed high exemptions because I'm able to write a lot off. My withholding on my severance was primarily SS, very little went to w/h taxes. I eventually did have to come up with a few thousand more for that tax year, but I had done pre-tax planning b/4 the end of that year and paid the installment in Jan. to avoid a penalty.

It was just too big a sum to shelter as much as I would have liked. I asked about them putting 50% in my 401k, but because it was severance and not salary, they couldn't do it, so the entire sum was taxable.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post

Uggh!
As stated you really should have taken retiremnt dec 31 ;so as the check being disbursed i the next ;retire tax year. Even then it will depend on now much you make as to the fianl rate as its just a requirement on withholding.The same thing happened to wife and I when we retired and also one reason to not retire the same year. Some have tax deferrred accounts to tranfer it too also.Its really going to depend on your tax bracket if you will get some of it back after filing in april.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
As stated you really should have taken retiremnt dec 31 ;so as the check being disbursed i the next ;retire tax year. Even then it will depend on now much you make as to the fianl rate as its just a requirement on withholding.The same thing happened to wife and i when we retired and also one reason to not retire the same year.
Yup

Old 06-24-2011, 03:26 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
If too much was withheld you'll get back what you have coming when you file. I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:31 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
it all works out to exactley what you owe at the end regardless of how they took it out.only exception is if you hit the amt tax because of it..

Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Well, I asked, but the answer was No. But you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. It's still a net gain to take the package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement