Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:39 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been doing retirement planning. She talks about wanting to retire before we are eligible to receive full benefits. Which means living off our retirement savings and holding out until age 70 to get the max benefit from Social Security.

All my life I have saved money and invested. I'm thinking about it, and I think it is going to feel strange having our entire savings decline until we start taking Social Security benefits.

Have any of you actually done this? Did it bother you psychologically to see your savings statement become less and less over the years even though you had enough money to live on? How did you feel when you finally started taking the max social security? Was it a relief or it wasn't a big deal for you?

Having done this plan, how do you feel about it? Did you feel you still have enough money past age 70? Any regrets in this type of plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:46 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
we are doing it now . lots of folks are but you need to make sure you have the funds to stop working and delay . if you don't comfortably have lots left over then either you can't afford to stop yet or you can't afford to delay . you do not want to spend down to much as life is filled with emergency's and unexpected expenses .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-08-2016 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 02:00 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,079,845 times
I've been saving my whole life too, and had to give half to an ex wife. (Many years ago) I can't WAIT to start drawing it down. That's the whole reason for saving in the first place! No problem using it here (but we do have pensions that reduce the bite)

Old 03-08-2016, 02:06 PM

252 posts, read 234,403 times
If you saved for retirement, the money was earmarked to be spent for retirement. I hope you aren't running into a problem like mine. I find myself denying myself something simple and cheap just because it isn't important to my survival. Watching every penny over many years made me sick in the head about $5 purchases. Meanwhile, each year so far, I have continued to save part of pension and SS income and haven't touched my retirement saving except to pay taxes on some of it in advance of RMD.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I've been saving my whole life too, and had to give half to an ex wife. (Many years ago) I can't WAIT to start drawing it down. That's the whole reason for saving in the first place! No problem using it here (but we do have pensions that reduce the bite)
I'm certainly familiar with that divorce math.

I'm yet another one planning to defer collecting Social Security until age 70. My target age is 65 1/2. 7 years, 10 months away. I'm 100% focused on topping up the war chest of investable assets to be able to do it.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
My wife and I have been doing retirement planning. She talks about wanting to retire before we are eligible to receive full benefits. Which means living off our retirement savings and holding out until age 70 to get the max benefit from Social Security.

All my life I have saved money and invested. I'm thinking about it, and I think it is going to feel strange having our entire savings decline until we start taking Social Security benefits.

Have any of you actually done this? Did it bother you psychologically to see your savings statement become less and less over the years even though you had enough money to live on? How did you feel when you finally started taking the max social security? Was it a relief or it wasn't a big deal for you?

Having done this plan, how do you feel about it? Did you feel you still have enough money past age 70? Any regrets in this type of plan?
But wasn't that the point of saving for retirement ?

Old 03-08-2016, 02:43 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post

As long as you keep working, ( paying into SS) it has a good chance to work as you wish

Old 03-08-2016, 03:01 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we are doing it now . lots of folks are but you need to make sure you have the funds to stop working and delay . if you don't comfortably have lots left over then either you can't afford to stop yet or you can't afford to delay . you do not want to spend down to much as life is filled with emergency's and unexpected expenses .
You really should copy this post to a document, then pull it out and paste it whenever necessary. It applies often on this board. Not that I'm blaming the opening poster, just that it's a subject that is discussed a lot.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:01 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But wasn't that the point of saving for retirement ?
the problem is many folks would be left dangerously low on savings laying out 8 years of spending money while not working or collecting ss yet .

i would say if someone are going to spend 40% or more of their savings delaying then they may want to rethink that plan .

Old 03-08-2016, 03:26 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem is many folks would be left dangerously low on savings laying out 8 years of spending money while not working or collecting ss yet .

i would say if someone are going to spend 40% or more of their savings delaying then they may want to rethink that plan .
My numbers don't work if I retired at 62. I have a contingency plan where I could do it if disaster struck where I could not work but it would require lifestyle changes I'm not willing to give up.

I'm still mulling over which resources I'm going to spend in the 4 1/2 years I'm self-funding 100% of my retirement until age 70. Part of me wants to draw down my IRA/401(k) account as much as possible since that could very well be used against me in means testing for Medicare by the time I get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement