Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:57 AM

72 posts, read 108,203 times

Advertisements

Here in Texas I run into a lot of refugees from California. They lived in LA or the SFO Bay Area most of their working life and were home owners. They saw the quality of life go down hill and decided to retire early and get out of California. One guy told me he sold his house in Palo Alto CA for over a million he had bought in 1980 for $90K and took the profits and bought a home in TX for $350K which was twice as nice and retired on the rest. (Along with a small bit of savings.)

Anyone here with a similar story? Lets discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 08:59 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Here is western PA we did not get the overinflated house prices (and we did not get the crash either!).
So, no.
I will not be retiring "early pretty much on home equity alone".
I would not even retire late on home equity alone!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:17 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
Here in Texas I run into a lot of refugees from California. They lived in LA or the SFO Bay Area most of their working life and were home owners. They saw the quality of life go down hill and decided to retire early and get out of California. One guy told me he sold his house in Palo Alto CA for over a million he had bought in 1980 for $90K and took the profits and bought a home in TX for $350K which was twice as nice and retired on the rest. (Along with a small bit of savings.)

I think the answer to your question is "probably." My main concern would be their spending habits. Do they know how much it would cost to live in Texas, to determine whether the $750k plus would be sufficient.

My suspicion is they have less than $750, because there would have been capital gains tax on the sell of their home. I am also concerned that they have only a small amount of retirement savings (other than the house) which suggests a high consumption lifestyle. Hard to say without more info.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:18 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
That sounds like the ultimate downsizing story. The only thing I would be wary of in that situation would be the culture shock of moving from CA to TX.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:23 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post

Where I live, we see a lot of the same thing. People selling their SF Bay Area homes, leaving the rat race and buying a place that is twice as nice for a quarter as much as what they sold their home for. No need to move to Texas, unless you prefer humid heat. Lot of retirees in my part of CA

With that said, retireing on home equity alone is risky.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:38 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
We saw a lot of them here in Colorado Springs back at the bubble peak in 2006. I call them California Refugees. One couple nearby had bought a new Condo, a new Corvette and a new Lexus.

Their timing was pretty good.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:51 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
We'll be doing this unless something really goes awry. On top of what we'll get from the house I also have a pension coming and we both have fairly large 401ks.

Probably punch out mid 50s and head to either Tyler or Austin.

As to the cap gains mention, only if it's not your first home, which ours is.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
We saw a lot of them here in Colorado Springs back at the bubble peak in 2006. I call them California Refugees. One couple nearby had bought a new Condo, a new Corvette and a new Lexus.

Their timing was pretty good.
I've lived 12 years in the Springs, it's second on our list, maybe 3rd.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:21 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We'll be doing this unless something really goes awry. On top of what we'll get from the house I also have a pension coming and we both have fairly large 401ks.

Probably punch out mid 50s and head to either Tyler or Austin.

As to the cap gains mention, only if it's not your first home, which ours is.
It doesn't matter if it is your first home or not. The limit is 250k single, 500k mfj. Anything above that is subject to capital gains tax.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Here is western PA we did not get the overinflated house prices (and we did not get the crash either!).
So, no.
I will not be retiring "early pretty much on home equity alone".
I would not even retire late on home equity alone!
While it is true that PA didn't suffer the overinflated housing PA's governor Tom Wolf held up passing the budget because he wanted the largest tax increase in our history including taxes on nursing home care claiming only 25% of the people would have to pay it. For gods sake, people who do pay can't afford the $4,500 - $6,000 a month cost to take care of their parents let along getting hit with taxes on top of that. Thankfully the republicans fought it and he didn't get his tax increases. This went on for 9 months.

The only reason I am here in PA is because of my elderly mother. I will be selling my house, taking my business and my money with me, leaving when she passes and be moving to a lower tax state. Besides I'm not sure how long republicans can hold Tom Wolf off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement