Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
Thanks again. I'm not afraid of the cold really. I live in Minnesota, and have most of my life. I don't have breathing problems. It's good to know about bad allergies in the PNW - I have mild allergies, for a month maybe. I've been through Idaho, but I don't think I visited Sandpoint. I prefer alpine and greenery to canyon and desert-like. I'm not into mountain climbing, but I do enjoy day hiking. So maybe a 30 minute drive to hiking would work. I have off 4 days for Labor Day, it would be fun to explore one of these places. Not a good time for flying, renting a car, finding hotels though because if the Holiday right. I'm finding it hard to decide where?

If you really like the outdoors, hiking, boating, fishing and all that...not to mention skiing in winter and other snow activities...Sandpoint would be just about perfect for you. Sandpoint is "alpine and greenery", no desert at all. It's about 50 miles from the Canadian border, +/- a few. Where I lived I had the whole forest to hike in, cross country ski, snow mobile and other stuff. The area has a LOT of lakes and rivers with Lake Pend Orielle being the biggest. (Pronounced Ponderay.) There's Schweitzer Mountain with a ton of summer hiking and a nice ski resort for winter fun. It's just a few minutes from town too. I just don't think you'd ever get bored there or run out of things to do/see, if that's what you wanted.

I didn't live in town and the county didn't do maintenance on our road so we couldn't drive all the way to our house in winter. Had to park about a mile down the road and ski, four wheel or snow mobile to our vehicles...and keep them chained up most of the time. In the city they were good about plowing and keeping the roads clear. It started snowing around Halloween and didn't stop till around Easter. One year we had a heavy wet snow on June 9th and I'll never forget it because I had JUST got my big garden in and was afraid I'd lose it all. I lost one tomato and one bell pepper plant. Whew! But if you don't mind snow and cold it's a great place to live.

Yeah, Labor Day isn't exactly the best time to plan a trip it seems like. I know I won't do it! But then I like traveling after Labor Day just because it's cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 06:11 PM

332 posts, read 287,000 times
Right about Labor Day travel; not a good idea. Sandpoint does sound good, but it sounds like you have a long and heavy winter. I'm not into snow sports much any more. Thanks for your input!

Old 05-06-2016, 06:57 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Thanks again for your continued suggestions. Access to a good airport and hospitals is important for sure. I'm not interested in living/travelling in an RV, but are there ways to kind of be nomad and live in a couple of different places? I'm not really interested in buying. I need to develop a community where ever I go, and I like the idea of being someplace with mountains, hiking, biking, big enough population for yoga, meet-up groups etc...People who are welcoming of 'outsiders'. I don't have or need a lot of stuff, am just interested in being with like-minded people. Senior communities and cooperative living arrangements seem to be more plentiful for we Boomers I hope. I always thought I was an introvert because I like time alone and need to recharge after being with a lot of people, but I do need to connect. Maybe this is a mid-life crisis (-: a little late.....
You should check out NE. Smaller mountains but mountains.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:43 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Right about Labor Day travel; not a good idea. Sandpoint does sound good, but it sounds like you have a long and heavy winter. I'm not into snow sports much any more. Thanks for your input!

Yes, we HAD long winters and I wasn't into all the snow sports either. I was happy to move back to my Arizona hometown. However, I really did like living up there most of the time.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
,,, Sandpoint does sound good, but it sounds like you have a long and heavy winter. I'm not into snow sports much any more. ....
"but I like more green and snow capped/alpine terraine."

I don't think anyone can help you. Your ideas are all over the place and you need to make some basic decisions. High snow capped and alpine regions are cold with long, cold winters.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:33 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Look in this part of Eastern OR. Somewhere close to the Willowa Mts. The valleys are flat and he towns are pretty boring, but once you get in the Willowas, it's heaven. This is assuming you are willing and able to hike.

The Official Joseph Oregon site featuring Eagle Cap Wilderness and Wallowa Lake Oregon - Recreation

Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM

332 posts, read 287,000 times
Wow, is all I can say to those vistas in Eagle Cap Wilderness and Wallowa Lake, SO beautiful! Yes, I love hiking. I've never heard of this area? I'll look into that part of Oregon. I drove along the coast; Seaside, etc saw Haystack rock, but I don't really know the area. I'm attracted more to mountains than oceans. Thanks for everyone's input. Jrklny, I thought the point/fun of these forums is to 'think out loud' and bounce ideas around. I don't think I'm beyond help (-:

Old 05-11-2016, 02:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
North Cascades of WA may fit your desires. Close enogh to Vancouver BC for many great cultural and flight options.

In my PNW area near PDX... I live in the mtns, in a national protected scenic area... No / few neighbors, am 20 min away from a great international airport, 1 hr to skiing / yr round snow, beautiful Oregon coast, or Mt St Helens... 30 min to all the culture I need. Cascade range is not Alpine terrain, Lasson is Alpine terrain, and a good option (with CA taxes to match). I really like Sandpoint and have a Colorado - transplant friend that has a guest ranch near there. It is just too far from a cheap airport to currently satisfy my wanderlust.

If you are from MN, you know well of senior housing co-ops. I hope to eventually form / build a rural cottage senior co-op in PNW. It just takes time and money... While MN has 80+ senior co-ops.. The PNW has 1.

I have been to and worked the staff and developers at several co-ops in MN.
Becketwood is a favorite of mine, but.... I don't think I would enjoy MSP yearround after my lifetime in mtns. MN senior co-ops are about 2x the cost I am targeting. Existing co-ops frown on subleasing, and I must have that option.

Having Venice 2 hrs from great Italian mtns gives me a desire to consider that, at least until I age to 67+. It is quite ez to get to with discounted fares. Austria and Switzerland are next door to Italian Alps, so you have countless beautiful and accessible alpine mtns within a couple hours. Many sites are served by trains. When living in Switzerland, I felt the active seniors have a very good quality of life. They are always hiking and venturing around the mtns via train. Just go village to village and meet your friends for tea or coffee.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:26 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Many nice mountain areas in NM. The state is less crowded and your $$$ generally goes further if you avoid the yuppie hot spots. Also except for the far north, winters tend to be milder and shorter.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:30 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,921 times
Try the Smoky Mountains....and where people over look this area...the Ozark mountains in northern Arkansas. I've been to both places. It's unreal when you open the front door and see the fog rolling over the mountains in the Smoky mountains like it's a live beast.....every morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement