Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:14 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
As for the northern enclaves- we don't want that for 2 reasons: 1- most of these enclaves means expensive. I'm amazed at the prices of some of the houses down there, but-2- more importantly- isn't an enclave a sort of segregation?

I want to fit in with the "natives". I want friends that at rich, poor, catholic, jewish, protestant, black, white, gay, straight (hate that word), etc. We don't want to be with others just like us. I want to laugh over the southern drawl while they make fun of my Bronx (don't live there now) accent, dropping the Rs and THs and Gs.
yes, there are enclaves in the south for northern transplants, gated communities, places where people can feel "safe" and around others like them. this began in florida a long time ago, but builders are doing the same in the carolinas, atlanta, etc. there is however a kind of stigma attached to those communities by the locals, but i don't blame them. my relatives live in texas, were NJ residents 30-40 years ago and they fit in nicely because they just moved into a regular suburban town outside ft worth, and thought nothing of it. it's those high priced gated communities that are springing up catering to wealthy northerners that the locals have somewhat disdain for because they're changing the landscape of the towns they knew. can't blame them for feeling like "foreigners" are taking over.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 05-26-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Since when don't farmers qualify for Medicare?? All of the farmers EXCEPT those who opt out and who are 65 and over both qualify and participate. The folks who opt out are Amish farmers who do not participate in any social insurance schemes.
There are many self-employed farmers who don't contribute to FICA throughout their lives since 13% FICA tax is alot of money to them. Small farms in America operated by sole proprietors are often an informal system and transactions mostly done in cash, especially with their farm hands, operating without permanent employees or documentation of such work. There are many self employed people in general who don't either.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 05-26-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 12:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
There are many self-employed farmers who don't contribute to FICA throughout their lives since 13% FICA tax is alot of money to them. Small farms in America operated by sole proprietors are often an informal system and transactions mostly done in cash, especially with their farm hands, operating without permanent employees or documentation of such work. There are many self employed people in general who don't either.

There is a word for those people - TAX EVADERS and they represent a very small number of farmers.

The overwhelming majority of farmers report their farm income and pay their income taxes, FICA, and other business taxes.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There is a word for those people - TAX EVADERS and they represent a very small number of farmers.

The overwhelming majority of farmers report their farm income and pay their income taxes, FICA, and other business taxes.
farmers hire the most number of illegal mexicans in the country. think about that for a while..

this isn't just farmers. this runs through many industries of the self employed. why is it that there are millions of elderly who don't qualify for social security or medicare??

Old 05-26-2016, 01:34 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
yes, there are enclaves in the south for northern transplants, gated communities, places where people can feel "safe" and around others like them. this began in florida a long time ago, but builders are doing the same in the carolinas, atlanta, etc. there is however a kind of stigma attached to those communities by the locals, but i don't blame them. my relatives live in texas, were NJ residents 30-40 years ago and they fit in nicely because they just moved into a regular suburban town outside ft worth, and thought nothing of it. it's those high priced gated communities that are springing up catering to wealthy northerners that the locals have somewhat disdain for because they're changing the landscape of the towns they knew. can't blame them for feeling like "foreigners" are taking over.

I agree. Plus the "natives" are being forced out of their own communities because of rising costs for rent, housing and general COL due to wealthy northerners retiring after selling higher priced homes. The locals can't afford these prices because they are still working and the south- fla included- does not pay all that well. If I was a native Floridian I'd be very upset also. I hate gated communities. Soon they'll be putting in a moat and barred wire around the houses to keep all the natives out.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:48 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times
a word about farmers and hiring Mexican. We were a farm- mostly a hobby farm- but we were a commercial goat dairy at 1 time- and yes we did pay taxes on our income.

we never hired Mexicans, (though I've known ppl who did on Long Island- we're northern NY) simply because there were none here. We hired teens- at $10/hr, 3-4 yrs ago to clean the barns and help around the farm- off the books- so we couldn't claim it as an expense. WE had so much trouble- no one would do it and if they did they'd quit within a week or 2. And we paid them for lunch and breaks.

If there were Mexicans around I'd have hired them in a second. They are great ppl and extremely hard workers.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
The whole southeast is a no Go for me. Fla. and its high insurance rates, Ga. with its large minority population, high crime, and redneck culture. I lived in NC for 4 years. No way I'd ever go back there. I'll visit, rent a place for a while in Fl. Once it gets warm again, we're gone.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:42 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The whole southeast is a no Go for me. Fla. and its high insurance rates, Ga. with its large minority population, high crime, and redneck culture. I lived in NC for 4 years. No way I'd ever go back there. I'll visit, rent a place for a while in Fl. Once it gets warm again, we're gone.
I have lived in GA and in TX, to me, most of TX is more to my liking than most of GA.

That said, the area north of Atlanta is quite posh, not redneck at all. The mountain area around Dahlonega is pretty much hillbillies like it was 100 years ago, or was last time I checked.

But the heat and humidity are brutal in summer. And the long rainy winter is depressing, at least to me.

Me, I'd look at living in TN just north of the GA border, take advantage of the best of each state, I can't tell you in advance what's better where, but there are always differences.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:13 PM

536 posts, read 845,370 times
St Augustine seems to have contented retirees, Karen, but I am not sure about the taxes there. Jacksonville is nearby for a big-city vibe. I've only visited St A twice, but it has a lot of charm. It's in N FL.

The governor ran in a three-way race his first election--they are always a bit random in outcome. I forget what happened the 2nd time. (Post trauma stress, no doubt.) OTOH, the medical marijuana ballot item, which was violently attacked for months, _almost_ passed and probably will next time. FL is just a mixture of different folks, including, frankly, lots of people who don't vote and quite a few who are often prevented from voting.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:35 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Hubbie and I are selling our farm in northern NY and will then retire. At first we were considering Florida- like everyone else. Reading thru hundreds of posts (literally) I've been finding posts where people in Florida are paying $4000 for homeowners insurance and $8, 9, 10,000 in property taxes!!!

Now that is really scaring me. We want the warmer weather, but holey moley. I'm getting second thoughts. We are going on a road trip to Florida in July and take a look in Ga too.

I heard that Athens is nice for retirement. Any thoughts? Anyone move from florida to Ga? Why? Any info- the good, bad, and especially the ugly- would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you are buying a multi million dollar mansion or are going to live on the ocean, your property taxes will not be that much. You can look up public records as to what the property taxes are for any home.

I pay a little over $7k a year, but I live in a mansion, on the ocean. Oh, and I don't pay for property insurance. If you can afford to rebuild your home without it, there is no need for it.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement