Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:24 PM

167 posts, read 195,786 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are thinking of buying a very cheap house for her parents. Her parents live in New Mexico (if that matters) and they are both currently receiving medicaid while the man additionally receives disability because he cant really use on of his legs. The house would cost about 45 to 70k and we would pay cash. If they suddenly become home-owners would they have any issues with their benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 03:47 PM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times
You do not need to put the house in their names. They can live there because you own it.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:56 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blam View Post
Me and my wife are thinking of buying a very cheap house for her parents. Her parents live in New Mexico (if that matters) and they are both currently receiving medicaid while the man additionally receives disability because he cant really use on of his legs. The house would cost about 45 to 70k and we would pay cash. If they suddenly become home-owners would they have any issues with their benefits?

My mom owned her own home, paid for, and also her car. Her income was about $650 month from SS and it didn't affect her benefits. Although it seemed like her food stamps got cut regularly and had nothing to do with her income. Everyone took a cut. She also had Medicaid. Even when I paid her a small amount of rent for her 'guest house' she didn't lose anything even though it brought her monthly income up to about $1,000. I think your in-laws would be okay.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:59 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,228,051 times
Yes, let them live there . If you give it to them someone down the road may be liable for the income on the entire sale price when it next sells.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:02 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My mom owned her own home, paid for, and also her car. Her income was about $650 month from SS and it didn't affect her benefits. Although it seemed like her food stamps got cut regularly and had nothing to do with her income. Everyone took a cut. She also had Medicaid. Even when I paid her a small amount of rent for her 'guest house' she didn't lose anything even though it brought her monthly income up to about $1,000. I think your in-laws would be okay.
Buy the house and put it in your name or their name. Then do a lease or a mortgage (with you financing) Charge them a monthly rent/mortgage payment, then "gift" them the same amount of money annually as the lease amount. That way they will technically still have the expenses of a house on the books, and they are allowed to be gifted taxfree (up to IRS limits). I did something similar for my son, I financed his house and gifted him the amount of interest I charged him on our note that exceeded what I would have earned in a CD. So I earned the same amount if my money just sat in a CD and He was able to pay off the house in 10 years.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:12 PM

106,718 posts, read 108,913,061 times
don't do a thing without consulting an elder law attorney . the house has certain ramifications as well as gifting when medicaid is involved if long term care is ever needed . you have to be careful here because they will need medicaid and medicaid for long term care has its own set of rules and requirements .

Old 06-08-2016, 04:18 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
don't do a thing without consulting an elder law attorney . the house has certain ramifications as well as gifting when medicaid is involved if long term care is ever needed . you have to be careful here because they will need medicaid and medicaid for long term care has its own set of rules and requirements .

Thanks for bringing that up. I had forgotten all about it, probably because we never had to deal with it with my mom. It's important though so thanks again!

Old 06-08-2016, 05:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Excellent advice !! Also, note that Medicaid laws vary from state-to-state, so be sure the elder-law attorney is expert on the state where the property is located.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:03 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
50 states, 51 sets of rules, check in the state where the house is located.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Elderly, ill, Medicaid, possible nursing home which will take it all in the end. Do not put any asset in their name. Medicaid and other benefits are based in income/net income after rent, depending on state. You don't want to rock that boat. And, yes, see an atty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement