Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 12:51 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times

Advertisements

I Googled and couldn't find any info on how many people do this.

I have at least four co-workers who are doing this… collecting their FRA benefit -- AND still making low six figures.
They tell me that while they don't NEED the money, they want to get their benefit now. They have dollar signs for eyeballs and big smiles when they say it.

Is there something I am missing because I thought it was better to delay Soc Sec. But if they're collecting at FRA, while making that kinds of money…they they don't have the income limit -- AND are "replenishing" their benefit to be calculated higher, when they eventually do stop working.

Could they ever put enough back in so their later benefit would equal what their original age 70 amount would have been anyway. How long might they have to work to do that?

I'd also like to know -- without some complicated formula -- what the sliding scale is for having 50-85% of your Soc Sec taxed. If you're making 120K a year are you at 50%, 60%, 70% of it being taxed -- at the full 85%?

What stories or insights can you tell bout working AND collecting, past full retirement age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 12:53 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Each situation is different when it comes to delaying . We are better off delaying.

Once you pass the upper limit 85% is taxed

Old 07-09-2016, 01:00 PM

What's the upper limit? Isn't there some kind of general scale somewhere.

I know it's a different animal but if they can come up with a phrase out scale for income limits for IRAs -- so you know about where you stand on that…why is is so hard to find some kind of general scale on the income levels at which the percentage of SS get taxed?

I hope someone will have info on the Soc Sec. recalculation also.

Because if a person can collect their FRA benefit at 66…..work until 70….and put back in enough to bump their benefit up to close to the original age 70 amount. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me… Who 's the dummy me or them for delaying. They've got four years of benefits -- AND a higher amount later.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:22 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
You can google it. I am out of town for a few days and have the info on my computer. I think for a couple over 45k in magi and your ss is taxed at 85%.

Magi is your taxable income before deductions plus 50% of your social security

Old 07-09-2016, 01:36 PM

Thanks. I've tried to find it and just haven't been able to. Enjoy herself.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:42 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I know it's a different animal but if they can come up with a phrase out scale for income limits for IRAs -- so you know about where you stand on that…why is is so hard to find some kind of general scale on the income levels at which the percentage of SS get taxed?

Because if a person can collect their FRA benefit at 66…..work until 70….and put back in enough to bump their benefit up to close to the original age 70 amount. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me… Who 's the dummy me or them for delaying. They've got four years of benefits -- AND a higher amount later.
The taxing of SS benefits is explained here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.html

and there as an online calculator in this article:
Social Security: Find Out How Much of Your Benefits Might Get Taxed -- The Motley Fool

BTW, the "higher amount later" will be minimal due to the averaging of the "highest 35 years". These folks latest salaries would have to be significantly higher than previous years to have a major effect on future benefits.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:32 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Have known lots of people who did this but I do not know their tax situation for sure they were taxed on 85% of SS

Good deal for them

Old 07-09-2016, 03:41 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Foolish...they think they're getting something over on the government having to pay out all those benefits rather than waiting. Might as well be flushing half of it down the toilet due to taxes and then they have that lower benefit for life.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:04 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
DH started SS when he was laid off from a part time job at age 65.4. He retired at 52. from his real job.

TheSS office has a calculator that will tell you when to retire at the most beneficial time.

SS office said it would take 13 years of payment to make up the difference for waiting.

Due to being ADHD, he has a PT pissant seasonal job now. The pay doesn't cover car, lunch or dry cleaning. He loves it. We pay 38% tax on the SS benefit.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:12 PM

610 posts, read 533,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

As was said, the extra years of earnings have a small impact on the benefit, assuming the individual had 35 years of work, nowhere near the 32% increase obtained by delaying benefits from age 66 to age 70. And of course had they delayed but continued working, any increase due to those earnings would also show up at age 70. I believe I read somewhere that less than 5% elect to delay their benefit to age 70. Actually your acquaintances (who are working and don't need the money) should be exactly the type who delays. Remember that the 32% increase will be adjusted for cost-of-living increases for life (under current law). If they live long and if inflation comes back, they'll likely regret their decision. Hopefully they're saving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement