Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:58 PM

351 posts, read 492,413 times

Advertisements

I can add a bit more detail. Everyone has been helpful and kind here - unlike some of the City-Data forums.

My advisor threw out the $12,500 figure as a target because he knew I planned to continue working in some capacity. With my kids in school, I will need something to do during the day. I'm planning on trying real estate (yes, I know the statistics - my late hubby was an agent) which I have wanted to try for some 14 years.

I don't get a pension. I can carry COBRA for 18 months. I'm not working to put a roof over our heads - the income is more for extras. I've owned the home we are moving into for almost 3 years. It's currently rental.

My biggest fear is getting sick as someone mentioned. I don't have any close family in MN - no family at all in FL. I do have friends there.

It's very strange to think of not going into work each day. Tomorrow is my last day. I am becoming more at peace with it. I was just wondering how others felt when they retired!

Again, thank you for some great thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:20 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
I can add a bit more detail. Everyone has been helpful and kind here - unlike some of the City-Data forums.

My advisor threw out the $12,500 figure as a target because he knew I planned to continue working in some capacity. With my kids in school, I will need something to do during the day. I'm planning on trying real estate (yes, I know the statistics - my late hubby was an agent) which I have wanted to try for some 14 years.

I don't get a pension. I can carry COBRA for 18 months. I'm not working to put a roof over our heads - the income is more for extras. I've owned the home we are moving into for almost 3 years. It's currently rental.

My biggest fear is getting sick as someone mentioned. I don't have any close family in MN - no family at all in FL. I do have friends there.

It's very strange to think of not going into work each day. Tomorrow is my last day. I am becoming more at peace with it. I was just wondering how others felt when they retired!

You probably know this but you need to meet the RE requirements for a license. I do not think you will have a problem getting a sponsor.

Sick? You want to consider disability insurance. I assume you have life insurance to take care of your kids if needed.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:16 PM

351 posts, read 492,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You probably know this but you need to meet the RE requirements for a license. I do not think you will have a problem getting a sponsor.

Sick? You want to consider disability insurance. I assume you have life insurance to take care of your kids if needed.
I've been licensed since 2014. That's not to say, however, I remember anything. I'll be seeking a broker with a good training program.

My fears around getting sick aren't financial. Hubby passed suddenly with no warning. If it can happen to him, it can happen to me. I do have a will. This got me thinking - I need a couple of key contacts nearby just in case...

Very good points. Thank you.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:26 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
That is a common experience and it will probably settle down but I admit that periodically it comes back and that's when you check things and make a course correction if needed and reexamine your goals and spending. Its healthy.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:36 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
I'm more freaked out that you worked at a job for 30 years that you never liked. Embrace your new freedom and find a part-time job that you LOVE.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I was not in the situation you were in, and I worked until I was 60. But I do remember being very, very excited.

Congratulations on your retirement. Good luck on the new endeavor.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:

One of the most frequent topics on this forum is health care and insurance costs. You could pass suddenly today, or you could live healthy for many more years, and incur significant medical expenses going into very old age. The most significant of our medical expenses are often in the last six months or so of life. I'd advise you to read those threads in depth.

Again, you haven't provided a lot of information. You're "projecting" that you need to make at least $12,500 after you "retire," and are going on COBRA for eighteen months. Are you Medicare eligible after that or will you be having to shop for an ACA plan? Without a subsidy, an plan on the exchange can cost a small fortune.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:20 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Thursday is my last day of work. I am retiring at age 55. I've been at the company for 30 years. I've never liked my work - good people but the wrong line of work. I'm single/widowed with 3 kids - 18, 12 and 12. We are moving from MN to FL to start fresh. Oldest will be going to college 45 minutes away. My advisor tells me I'm good - I need to earn $12,500 per year per 'the plan'. I should be so happy! I'm finally released from my job and going to the land of surf and palm!

But no. I feel like I'm going off a cliff. I'm suddenly freaking out over the tiniest of expense.

I am curious - did anyone else do a financial freakout when they retired? If so, how did you manage to get over it? I never imagined I'd feel like I do!
I retired at an early age in 1999 and had the same reaction. I had plenty of money to last but as soon as the income stopped I was reluctant to spend on anything. I was years before Social Security would kick in with no pension other than IRAs. It was almost like having a muscle cramp. I could not make myself open my wallet. After four years of misery I reinvented myself and entered a new profession. I have done well and am still working well past retirement age knowing that on my last day that wallet cramp will likely hit again.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:40 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
I retired in February and still wrestle a bit with emotions after working at one place of employment for many years. I am of course delighted to be out of the rat race but am still pondering how to operate without the structure and habits of the workiing life. For instance, I have yet to sleep in once and I used to dream about doing that when I retired. I too am moving to another state so I understand the money fears. It's both weird and wonderful but these transitions illustrate the old saying "when one door closes, another opens".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement