Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,940,193 times

Advertisements

We have our car insurance with Safeco (through our credit union). I forgot to tell them about my retirement until seeing the 2016 renewal information.

This new information only brought the annual premium down by less than $50. This may have to do with the fact that my work place was less than 20 miles from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 10:27 AM

8,280 posts, read 8,683,266 times
I changed companies. When I went to the new one I was asked if I used the car for work.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,819,075 times
No need. We already had the lowest rate because we were both only a couple of miles from work. My 02 only has 59k miles on it.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:44 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,560,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
I have Allstate too. They didn't ask but we told them. We bought a new car and were accustomed to the insurance decreasing every year as the car got older but this has not been the case with Allstate. We have not had a claim but the insurance has increased each year. We concluded that they treat retirees as higher and higher risk with each year of age.
I doubt it was because you told them. We used to have Allstate when I was working and the premiums went up almost every year. We were able to keep them about the same or lower by changing coverage. Finally, I had enough and checked other companies and found I could cut 40% off the cost by switching. We did this the year before I retired. So far, Safeco, has kept premiums stable, down or up slightly (have auto and homeowners). I'm fairly certain we were paying for allstate's hurricane payouts and we don't live in a hurricane area.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:56 AM
JRR

8,181 posts, read 5,689,411 times
We have Amica and our insurance for the two cars dropped about $135 for the year. That also included a bit of a decrease in our Umbrella Policy due to the replacement of wages being removed. Our combined mileage for both vehicles for work had been about 30 miles a day. Now we go for two or three days at a time where we don't leave home. And when we do, the grocery/pharmacy is about 1.5 miles away. Big trips are to the Dr or to Costco now and then; about 5 miles to either one. Tank of gas sure does last a while nowadays.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:22 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,566,487 times
Each insurance company has their cut off point for what they consider low mileage. With State Farm it is 7500 miles a year. I drove about 8000 miles per year when I was working. When I retired it dropped to less than 5000 miles a year. My insurance premium dropped by 40% because I drive less than 7500 miles per year.

In DE if you complete an on line DE driver safety course, insurance companies have to give you a 10% decrease in your premium for 3 years. The course cost $12.95. If you do the refresher course 3 years later (cost 12.95) they have to increase the discount to 15% for the next three years.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,794,931 times
Yes, I got reduced rate for not driving so much.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM

2,232 posts, read 3,379,130 times
I’ve been retired about 13 years and never occurred to me that I should tell them. They still don’t know. I now have 3 cars insured, two which my college kids drive and one I use. Two of the cars are insured as “occasional drivers” (and get low mileage every year), one is for the traditional number most drivers use. When I made that change, insurance dropped 2K.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:27 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,434,465 times
Don't tell nobody nothin'!

Make them ask...then ignore the first 3 times, then only if a court order......then insist on a translation into Chinese sign language..........

Old 06-29-2016, 05:44 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,600,725 times
I live in central London, U.K., and have never TOLD my insurers that I have been retired for 4 years now, they just ask our annual average mileage when renewing the premium.
This hasn't changed, as neither of us used the car to commute, our car is driven almost solely by my wife, who goes to the supermarket once per week, and visits her dad, about 60 miles from London once every 2 weeks.
Whenever the premium is due, we just go online and look for the cheapest deal out there that covers both of us in any situation possible.
Before I retired I was a licensed London taxi owner-driver, (a real one, not Uber or minicab), my insurance was peanuts considering that I worked in what must be one of the most congested cities in the world.
My insurance agent at one time, told me that the insurance companies viewed it like this, a 45-50 y.o. guy, with no driving demerits, whose method of paying the mortgage, and putting food on the table, was a tool to earn his corn with, (the taxi), there was very little chance that he'd put that tool into harm's way.
For full cover, for any eventuality, including my wife driving it, (if I blocked her in with my black cab, she would take the cab to the supermarket), I never paid more than around $1000 per annum.
Of course, it's no doubt more now, but I don't drive a taxi now, so I don't care, feet up, vacuum the house occasionally, to keep the boss happy, and spend a couple or three weeks in Punta Gorda FL., or Padre Island TX. every year.
It's why I suffered all those cretins in the back of the taxi for all those years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement