Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

I keep on hoping I won't ever be fearful and afraid to travel alone. I have been lots of places alone, including those many would find frightening, like the Middle East. Loved it and would go again. I usually don't feel threatened in any way but I try to travel sensibly.

I attempt to dress like the locals and blend in. I am not always successful but at least you don't look at me and know immediately I am an American tourist. I don't wear expensive jewelry or flash around a lot of money. I am aware of my surroundings and what's going on around me. Invisible is not always a bad thing. Tourist attractions are usually quite safe. Just like the Las Vegas Strip, they tend to protect places where there is money to be made. If I am out alone at night, I stay on the beaten path. Places that are well traveled. I try to be aware and respectful of the local culture.

My first trip to Europe alone was as a teenager. I went to school there. And I got my hiney pinched in Italy at Villa D'Este. But it wasn't meant to be a threat, that's the way it was back then. It was just young boys having fun. Once I had the misfortune of walking into some kind of a gun deal in a shop in Florence. I just pretended I didn't see anything, made my purchase and left! A shining moment for me was when locals had no idea where I was from. Once I was on the ferry from France to the UK(pre Chunnel) and I was mistaken for British by the French crew. Yay me!

I traveled a lot for work too. Always went out and saw whatever there was to see. Alone or with others. No way was I going to sit in my room when there were things to explore. My fingers are crossed that I don't ever change. Perhaps it's easier for me because I started young!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:48 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Not really, she may have felt attacked. Some here seemed to have been offended to hear that they aren't top rated rape victims because of their age. . I see this as a huge plus - the one thing about aging that's to our benefit.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Not really, she may have felt attacked. Some here seemed to have been offended to hear that they aren't top rated rape victims because of their age. . I see this as a huge plus - the one thing about aging that's to our benefit.
^ Not exactly

Her statement: "There is a huge advantage in being invisible to men." was really rude, ageist and presumptuous (one of the reasons I personally came back at her comment with my admittedly not very nice comment about young women getting mugged).

Perhaps the OP making herself invisible now is a good thing.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
^ Not exactly

Her statement: "There is a huge advantage in being invisible to men." was really rude, ageist and presumptuous (one of the reasons I personally came back at her comment with my admittedly not very nice comment about young women getting mugged).

Perhaps the OP making herself invisible now is a good thing.

You just confirmed what I was saying: Sounds like you're mad that you may be invisible - you want to be offended - I am quite happy about being invisible in many of these situations. How can it be ageism when she's of that age herself.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:38 PM

292 posts, read 357,895 times
Quote:
I agree. While maybe not well put, WCG has a point. I was sitting in a restaurant (on the latest of my many solo voyages, I might add) watching the guys watching the women and recalling that once I would have been one of those watched, but am no longer. Mainly what I was pondering was why I don't care. Attractiveness is, after all, a manifestation of power, so I have lost that aspect of power. But...no biggie. Fortunately, I never thought my looks would carry me through life and I am still a superhero, lol. And it's not that I'm unattractive, just past the stage of inducing blatant salivation. Women trying to hook up for a harmless night of fun and frolic are certainly waaaay more vulnerable than women who've been there, done that, or who managed to mature with good judgement instilled since birth. Not totally off topic if you're trying to reassure women who might be a little timid about a foray into the big bad world. Love the "go for it" attitude of most posters.

I'm not yet retired although well past FRA. I'm trying to fit in as much travel as I can, just in case health suddenly fails. I'm on my second around the world ticket. I break up my trip and fly home to work, catch up with family etc. I am just stuck with the reality that I can be gone 3-4 weeks more frequently, but that 12 all together just won't work at this stage. I started this trip at a meeting in Cape Town, then spent 3 days alone in a rental car driving Kruger National Park with the addition of two ranger led evening tours. Then spent two nights at a lodge, which just frosted the cake. Life changing. Yes, I would love to have had someone with me, mainly so they'd have the chance to experience what I did (thinking kids, grandkids). I did meet up with friends and family in Hungary, which made for a nice break.

Second leg: took grandson to Alaska and rented a 22' RV--LOVED IT! It's really no bigger than my pickup if you remember it's much taller. Something I might do more of. Next stop-- Nepal.

I put this trip together myself. I was telling somebody the other day that I was totally an independent traveler, but realized this is not true: I did an organized horseback riding trip around the Ring of Kerry, hired a driver/guide in India, and stayed in a tourist tent camp at the Pushkar Camel Fair, The group I was with in May in Budapest had hired a Rick Steve's recommended guide. All of these were incredible experiences I wouldn't have been able to pull off solo. A previous poster mentioned some tours that really sound intriguing. I suspect you'd get more bang for the buck with a tour, especially if time limited.

Solo voyager, destination unknown (Paraphrased from what quote?)

Old 07-21-2016, 03:42 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
Quote:
I know for sure I won't be targeted for my physical appearance on my solo travels. I'm well past that demographic and have no illusions there.

My alarm/offense was a reaction to the notion in WCG's post that older women need not worry about rape.

The point of my reply was that no woman should travel under the illusion that she is protected by a "cloak of invisibility" because of her age. As we know from studies of the crime of rape, a predator primarily looks for a victim who is perceived to be more vulnerable than any other women in the vicinity: maybe a pedestrian absorbed in her cell phone, or encumbered by luggage and a shoulder bag, or perhaps at a physical disadvantage in regard to running away or fighting back. Unfortunately, the latter vulnerability applies to many older women, who lack the speed and strength of a young woman in her prime.

So it is wise to remain vigilant when travelling solo, regardless of age, and not think our "elder" status will keep us safe.

That said, I love travelling solo, and would never give it up over safety concerns, with the possible exception of avoiding states that are in turmoil, like Turkey at the moment.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I know for sure I won't be targeted for my physical appearance on my solo travels. I'm well past that demographic and have no illusions there.

My alarm/offense was a reaction to the notion in WCG's post that older women need not worry about rape.

The point of my reply was that no woman should travel under the illusion that she is protected by a "cloak of invisibility" because of her age. As we know from studies of the crime of rape, a predator primarily looks for a victim who is perceived to be more vulnerable than any other women in the vicinity: maybe a pedestrian absorbed in her cell phone, or encumbered by luggage and a shoulder bag, or perhaps at a physical disadvantage in regard to running away or fighting back. Unfortunately, the latter vulnerability applies to many older women, who lack the speed and strength of a young woman in her prime.

So it is wise to remain vigilant when travelling solo, regardless of age, and not think our "elder" status will keep us safe.

That said, I love travelling solo, and would never give it up over safety concerns, with the possible exception of avoiding states that are in turmoil, like Turkey at the moment.

Yes - I think an older woman is more likely to be mugged/robbed because of the thinking that any older woman that's traveling must have lots of money & jewels. Of course, the younger set would probably have the expensive phones/tablets etc...

I am so impressed by those that take off on world adventures alone. That takes real guts and confidence.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
I am so impressed by those that take off on world adventures alone. That takes real guts and confidence.
Ez, ... Join evergreen or affordable travel, buy a one way ticket to your first destination, get on the flight and go!

Have a rough idea, Plan as you go. Be willing to change the details as you find places you enjoy / don't enjoy.

Come home (?) later. Maybe you will find a new home and stay there

Old 07-24-2016, 06:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Yes - I think an older woman is more likely to be mugged/robbed because of the thinking that any older woman that's traveling must have lots of money & jewels. Of course, the younger set would probably have the expensive phones/tablets etc...

I'm only 57, but jewels bore me though I do have the what you call, expensive phone, tablet (and laptop).

Stereotype much?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:27 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,932,938 times
This thread drifted a bit with side discussion about the identity of WCG. As I mentioned before, while I disagree with some of her statements especially the one that it's safer and easier for older women to travel because they are 'invisible', I'm glad that the safety issue for female travelers was brought up.

I really admire women young or old who travel solo extensively. While I consider myself quite capable and independent, the fact of the matter is that it is harder for women to travel alone than men. Predators always pick easy targets looking for the small, weak or frail ones. I was reminded of the time we were in South Africa having an outdoor breakfast. A group of vervet monkeys was up in the trees waiting for opportunity to steal food. One spotted a little girl separated from her parents. He quickly ran down and grabbed her muffin. Another big male monkey kept eying our table. The moment my husband left for his buffet table refill, the monkey headed straight for me to steal food right off my plate.

I have only traveled solo on business while working. I may have less than a dozen of years to travel with my husband on somewhat rigorous and adventurous vacations. The possibility that someday he may not be able to go with me or to do the things which I enjoy doing is always there. In 2015, he was unable to fly with me for 6 months after hurting his back then knee. I had to recruit different flying partners with two criteria: 1) love to fly and 2) strong enough to help me moving the plane in and out of the hangar. After few months, I came up with a solution to order a custom made power tow so that 97lbs of me could pull and push the 2500lbs plane.

So when the time comes when I am alone, I may find some friends (both male and female) who share similar interests to travel with. I may join a travel group (we have done some group tours but have preferred independent traveling to organized trips). This morning, I discovered an interesting website to find travelcompanions.

Travel Companions Wanted: free travel mates finding service

There are likely other similar websites. I am not sure whether there are anybody at CD forums who have tried similar kind of travel arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement