Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:05 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
I can't understand why email delivery of the code wasn't built into SSA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I agree totally.
Because that would defeat the entire purpose of the two-step authentication process.

The whole point is to require two different means of communication to authenticate your account. If your computer security has been compromised by a keystroke logger or by some other means, then SSA emailing you a code obviously wouldn't be adding an additional level of security.

What SSA is doing makes perfect sense and should have been done a long time ago. I can't believe that people are actually looking to complain about a Government agency adding another level of security to protect their account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:08 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,560,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I think the texting OPTION should be one of many for providing further substantiation of your account. There is no reason there cannot be a voice message left on your landline with a code for you to use in a call-back option that will get you to an automated system that accesses your account.

I agree that there should be at least one other option to access your information on line. Cell phone text messaging is fine for those individuals who own and use a cell phone as they are already spending money to buy and use a cell phone. For those of us who do not use a cell phone - we should not be required to buy and pay a monthly fee just to gain access to a government site.

My guess is that this new rule was designed by someone who can't go 5 minutes without texting and has no clue that many seniors do not have a reason to spend money on a cell phone they do not want or need.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:08 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,396,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Because that would defeat the entire purpose of the two-step authentication process.

The whole point is to require two different means of communication to authenticate your account. If your computer security has been compromised by a keystroke logger or by some other means, then SSA emailing you a code obviously wouldn't be adding an additional level of security.

What SSA is doing makes perfect sense and should have been done a long time ago. I can't believe that people are actually looking to complain about a Government agency adding another level of security to protect their account.
That is the important issue. I do not want some hacker getting my money.
My 89 y.o. mom cannot pop corn in a microwave but, by golly, she can text!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,560,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
That is the important issue. I do not want some hacker getting my money.
My 89 y.o. mom cannot pop corn in a microwave but, by golly, she can text!

I should not be required to buy and use a cell phone to access a government site when I otherwise do not need a cell phone. There have got to be other ways such as via a landline to receive this information.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Because many people don't text, obviously. My grandmother had trouble even answering her flip phone when it rang. My mother in law, aged 76, has the same problem. She doesn't even know what a text message is. Since most SS recipients are seniors, it makes zero sense to require an authentication process they can't/don't use.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 07-29-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Because many people don't text, obviously. My grandmother had trouble even answering her flip phone when it rang.
And did she have a computer and use email?

I didn't think so.

I would wager that the subset of seniors who have online accounts, but don't have a cell phone is quite small. If they're not online anyway, then this doesn't really affect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I should not be required to buy and use a cell phone to access a government site when I otherwise do not need a cell phone. There have got to be other ways such as via a landline to receive this information.
Then if you don't want to use a cell phone you can just use your landline to call SSA and get whatever information you need, right?

Or are you really suggesting that SSA should continue to put tens of millions of people's accounts in danger of being hacked because you don't have a cell phone and don't want to be inconvenienced by making a phone call?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:36 AM

494 posts, read 286,452 times
I was surprised when I saw this because a lot of seniors I know don't have cellphones or, the ones that do, have phones you buy minutes for. If they don't have the money for the current month, they don't purchase minutes; but, every time they don't purchase minutes their numbers get changed. Social Security says if your cell phone # gets changed, you need to call them and they will mail you a form with a security code, which will take up to 10 days. I agree that a lot of seniors don't text. Some seniors are just getting used to using email. Why they can't use a landline, which a lot of seniors still have, is beyond me. I honestly sometimes don't know how the Federal Government functions. They obviously don't investigate different options before deciding what they are going to do.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM

7,192 posts, read 9,329,700 times
It's not reasonable to expect all retirees to own a cell phone.

My bet is that this decision will be quickly reversed.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
just give a call and get a free text capable cellphone=
Free government cell phones program expanding into internet smartphones

Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
I sent an email to SSA to complain about the policy (if you click on the link in the email they sent you, you see the Contact Us button)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement