Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

I'm 56 as well. The women in my immediate family tend to be blessed with good health -- at least until their 80s and 90s.. I've never called out sick in my working life. No sick days from first grade to 12th either. Thank God. I've had one "female" operation. And recovered quickly and well, no pain meds. Went back to work, never missed a beat, after that. So I feel no different at 56 than I did at 40.

My mom had Alzheimers, which is a little troubling. But she didn't even START slowing down until she was 80. She lived until 89. Aunt died of colon cancer but at 94.

I'm overweight. But have been most of my life. I've also lost weight several times. Basically, I believe I am blessed with good health, and I expect to be healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 PM

134 posts, read 158,409 times
I'm 57 1/2. I've found in the last 2 or 3 years, it's more work to maintain fitness. In my early 50's extra winter weight would just melt away with increased cycling, and then all of the sudden, one summer, it didn't. So I took up running. That's when I discovered/experienced another change - aches and pains. Stiffness.

The first mile is a bear. It's not the lungs or heart, it's my legs that feel like lead.

Staying in shape in my mid to late 50's is just slowing the decline, not getting fitter and faster/stronger like it used to be. Ugh.

My goal is to keep mobility up as long as I can. I guess I'm of the mind, if I don't use it, I'll lose it!

Old 08-06-2016, 10:37 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I'll be turning 60 in January. Yikes. Honestly I don't feel like it mentally and physically I'm still in pretty good shape. I'd like to lose 15 pounds. I've been told many times that I look much younger then 60. I think inner child keeps me young as well. I guarantee that if you come on one of my late night bikes rides with me that you will have a very difficult time keeping up.

Once that endorphin rush kicks in you're doomed. It's a drug that I can't do without now and like any junkie you just need more and more.

I also like what it's doing for my body

Old 08-08-2016, 03:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
This is a weird time of life. Just when I am starting to truly feel grown up (e.g. the last of early adulthood angst and pressures have faded) now this $!@#! old age stuff has started up. For the first time in my life I have a few aches and pains of a general nature. This may be a gen X thing but I feel like my true "prime years" came and went while no one was looking.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This is a weird time of life. Just when I am starting to truly feel grown up (e.g. the last of early adulthood angst and pressures have faded) now this $!@#! old age stuff has started up. For the first time in my life I have a few aches and pains of a general nature. This may be a gen X thing but I feel like my true "prime years" came and went while no one was looking.
Welcome to my world!! I'm 74 wishing I could go back about 20 years at least. Got to make the best of the years that are left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement