Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is $32K a year enough for a single retiree to live comfortably?
Yes 158 79.00%
No 42 21.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times

Advertisements

Plenty of retired people live in rental apartments and do not own a house, and are living fine on $32,000 per year or less.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-28-2016 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 02:44 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Comfortable standard of living to me means the following:

ability to buy groceries and plenty of health foods without worry of price
ability to keep my car maintained 100% without delaying repairs and maintenance
ability to live in a modest home/apartment in a safe neighborhood that's reasonably updated
ability to have some fun on a regular or occasional basis (i.e. parks, vacations, restaurants, etc.)
ability to afford health care costs without severely impacting my savings
ability to accumulate some cash savings each month

Stuff like that...
I realize that you have already made a decision to keep investing but I voted no to $32K a year based on your definition of comfortable. I have older relatives who have lived on $32K but their lifestyle was nothing like the above. These were older widows who spend most of their time in a small apartment, put less than 3K miles a year on their car, ate at a restaurant a couple of times a week but generally Applebees or Golden Corral, took a plane trip to see out of state relatives once a year but did not require hotel or rental car, shopped at Walmart and bought less expensive groceries, spent most of their time watching TV, reading, doing arts and crafts, sewing or knitting, interacting with family, etc. And in low COL areas. That is what is meant by no luxuries and a mediocre existence, not your list. And while you may only plan to live to age 83, you may live much longer and have increasing medical bills. Eating well, going out to eat, taking a few trips, and renting an apartment in a safe neighborhood that is not a subsidized senior apartment will cost you.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:13 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I realize that you have already made a decision to keep investing but I voted no to $32K a year based on your definition of comfortable. I have older relatives who have lived on $32K but their lifestyle was nothing like the above. These were older widows who spend most of their time in a small apartment, put less than 3K miles a year on their car, ate at a restaurant a couple of times a week but generally Applebees or Golden Corral, took a plane trip to see out of state relatives once a year but did not require hotel or rental car, shopped at Walmart and bought less expensive groceries, spent most of their time watching TV, reading, doing arts and crafts, sewing or knitting, interacting with family, etc. And in low COL areas. That is what is meant by no luxuries and a mediocre existence, not your list. And while you may only plan to live to age 83, you may live much longer and have increasing medical bills. Eating well, going out to eat, taking a few trips, and renting an apartment in a safe neighborhood that is not a subsidized senior apartment will cost you.
lol - that is what most of us around here do now - and we have lots more than 32K. We are just little sloths that like to lead a simple carefree life - lol

3k miles a year on the car - my car is 10 years old and barely just now hit 49K miles. Most of the miles were put on at the beginning of its life when I was going to the city for school. I was going to be a permanent student, but now I;m just mediocreing around.

I had all my excitement in my earlier years and now I just want to rest

Old 08-28-2016, 04:28 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,490 times
And you are probably right, Clemencia, that is "living average" for many folks and I may have the same lifestyle come 70. But the OP is in his 30's and needs to understand how his investing today will impact his retirement. If he is okay with that, then all is well (maybe).

Old 08-28-2016, 04:30 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
And you are probably right, Clemencia, that is "living average" for many folks and I may have the same lifestyle come 70. But the OP is in his 30's and needs to understand how his investing today will impact his retirement. If he is okay with that, then all is well (maybe).
And he better sow lots of wild oats and just live life to the fullest, so that when he retires, he can just relax and not worry about going zip-lining, hot air ballooning, hiking the Appalachian trail etc.

Do it all when you are young!!! Then just relax with your mai-tai and watch the world go by.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:50 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Plenty of retired people live in rental apartments and do not own a house, and are living fine on $32,000 per year or less.
With rapidly rising rents in most areas, this isn't going to be viable for long.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:58 PM

I know, I chuckled on ABQ2015's description of a 'mediocre' life too.

What ABQ2015 describes as 'mediocre' I do not see as mediocre.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:01 PM

The average Social Security monthly payment is $15,600 per year - $1300 per month - and many people live on that amount.

Some adding some money to it - but many not doing so.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-28-2016 at 05:41 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 05:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Someone's mediocrity is someone else's idea of a good time.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:58 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,253 times
The OP is assuming he will remain healthy up to and into his retirement years. What if you need to go into an Assisted Living facility much earlier than you thought? $32K per year won't cut it. Be thinking of LONG TERM CARE as well as your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement