Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:07 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

I had a sigmoidoscopy once in my 30s without any sedation - I literally thought I was going to explode from the pumped-in air and the pain from the instrument was excruciating! I'd never chance going through that again. I have to have colonoscopies every 3 years due to a family history of colon cancer and also having polyps in the past, so I'm all for being as "out" as can be medically recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 10:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Anyone familiar of the "fun" of a lower GI exam? Oh my, colonoscopies w/anesthesia are a walk in the park.

Many years ago my doctor recommended one for me. You lay on a table and are more or less "strapped in" so that when they move the table you won't fall off. It is an enema of barium that after they pump it into you, they start taking "pictures"..... I can't remember... ultrasound? x-ray? Too long ago to recall that info. But the darned stuff didn't work its way through my colon so the table was raised so that I was in an upright position and doctor "massaged" my abdomen in an effort to make the barium move. I do not recall what happened or the result. I was in so much pain I couldn't think. The ride home was horrible. I couldn't wait to lay down on my bed and stretch myself out...... fell asleep (relaxed) and all was better later.

Not something I would allow today.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
My father had colon cancer at age 85. They went in and resected but there was no follow-up chemo or radiation. He recovered fine and was told that he would die of old age, not colon cancer - because cancer usually metabolizes much slower the older you get. He died at 95 - of sepsis induced by the care system - but never had another problem with his colon. He didn't even remember the whole incident (and he was very bright to the end) for some reason ... guess he blocked it out.

I had a colonoscopy a number of years back. I too would say the worst parts were the prep and the unexpected bills after the fact (that no one bothered to tell me about in advance - and which really weren't itemized so I could actually figure out what they were for - which annoyed me). I was told my insurance at the time covered 'everything' - but apparently it didn't. I won't have one again though ... have no one left to take me and bring me back (and where I am now I believe the closest place to have it done is a 250 mile drive) and I refuse to do it without sedation (but don't want to be knocked out either) - just twilight sleep, please. Que sera, sera. I have become quite a fatalist I guess as I approach old age. Or maybe it is all about the unexpected costs. Not sure but despite what I guess is now a 'family history' of colon cancer, I am not sure I want to go through that again.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:01 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times
Health secret- many colonoscopies are worthless due to poor preparation by the patient. If you are going to do it do it correctly.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Drugs, give me drugs, knock me out before you start. Done it both ways. Much prefer the knock me out drugs.
Same here. And the drug used here gives you no hangover, so you are fine very, very quickly.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:05 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
My father died of colon cancer at the age of 53 so I've had numerous colonoscopies over the years. The first one, 25 years ago, was done under a sedation that allowed me to be awake/alert enough to watch the procedure on a TV screen. Since then, however, I've been under some kind of twilight anesthetic where I dont remember anything. Something went wrong the last time and, although I dont recall pain, I do recall saying "that hurts" several times. Next time I want to be so far out that I dont remember that.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:39 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
My father is not a fan of anesthesia. He is aware of the long term affects on the brain, particularly for folks as they get older. We all should definitely minimize all procedures that put you out unless they are truly medically necessary.

My Dad also has severe chronic pain (spinal cord injury), and has a very high pain tolerance. This also lets him tolerate many procedures without anesthesia. But he would never say this is pleasant...

He does all of his dental work without anesthesia. Wont even take a local, which doesn't make sense to me. But I can't change his mind. He tolerates it fine, even though his dentist is uncomfortable... and often shocked.... "I've NEVER seen someone tolerate THAT before without the anesthetic...."

So when my father had his last colonoscopy, he was adamant with the doctor that he didn't want to be put under. They gave him a small dose of meds to relax him. But once the pumped his colon full of air to begin the procedure, he apparently started moving and groaning and asking again and again... "Could you let the air out? Could you just let the air out?" As we all know, sometimes bad gas can actually be quite painful (although fleeting...), but when your colon is pumped up with air it can be pretty brutal if you aren't sedated enough. The pain is similar to a kidney stone that you can't pass.

So once my Dad started squirming, the doc/nurse just put him under. They never wanted to do it without sedation in the first place, which is a higher risk procedure FOR THEM. It does increase the chance of perforating the colon if the patient moves. You tend to move if you are in pain.

Colonoscopies are one screening test I'm really a fan of. You can totally prevent/cure cancer... long before the cancer develops into something dangerous. While the prep is not great, it is manageable, and they are coming up with more tolerable preps. The procedure itself is fine, as you sleep through it. Afterwards, you may be a little tired while you are waking up, you may let out gas for a few hours afterwards, and should start eating a bit slowly when your system is empty to start.

But it is totally worth it.

HOWEVER, remember - the way insurance works these days, a screening colonoscopy can be totally free because it is preventative. That means the test, the doctor fees.... everything. Thanks Obamacare! BUT, if the doctors are doing the colonoscopy and find a polyp in there that they clip and remove, suddenly the colonoscopy changes from a screening test to a diagnostic test. So for some medical plans, it is no longer covered 100%. And if you have a high deductible medical plan, you could suddenly be faced with a bill for a few thousand dollars! Free test vs. a few thousand dollars is a shock, and you wont know which you will have until after the test is done.

Then again, removing a polyp that could have led to cancer.... maybe that's still worth a few thousand dollars... yes?

When you are over 65 and on Medicare, this difference (preventative vs. diagnostic) is irrelevant, and Medicare will cover the colonoscopy regardless of what happens during the procedure.

But most of us will have our couple colonoscopies before the age of 65, so check with your insurance plan before you have it done so you know the potential costs, if they change coding to "diagnostic" if polyps are found.
Not quite true.

See https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/co...creenings.html where it says:

"If a screening colonoscopy or screening flexible sigmoidoscopy results in the biopsy or removal of a lesion or growth during the same visit, the procedure is considered diagnostic and you may have to pay coinsurance and/or a copayment, but the Part B deductible doesn't apply."

Also, as in my own case under Medicare, if you have history of previous polyp removal, later colonoscopies are considered diagnostic from the start, whether they find polyps or not.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:56 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Versed + Fentanyl. Just do it. I have a high tolerance and fast metabolism when it comes to drugs. I woke up in the middle of the first one, and remember doing so even though the Versed is supposed cause amnesia. For the second one a year later (increased schedule due to the results of the first) I made sure they were aware of me waking up the first time and asked them to make sure not to let it happen again...I don't even remember getting dressed after .

Old 08-27-2016, 02:07 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
Just had a colonoscopy and endo 2 weeks ago. Oh yeah, I took the Propofol to knock me out. Heck yes. I was under for about 45 mins as they took biopsies from stomach and colon. Did not feel a thing.

Posters are correct you do not have to have a family history to get colon cancer. My medical insurance company was driving me crazy as I was late in getting mine this time around...I'm 63 and should have had it done at 60.

Here's the good news. Yep, the prep is a pain in the butt LITERALLY (grinning) but today they have you take Mira Lax mixed in with Gatorade. No icky taste and you have to take 4 Dulcolax beginning at noon. 4 pm you drink the MiraLax. Make sure you bought diapers. Really not a big deal anymore.

We are blessed to have the best medical care here in the USA!! Now if we can get our VETS better care all will be well. :-)

I was up - getting dressed right after I got in recovery. They do not knock you out to the point to where you are out for hours. This was by far better than the one I had at age: 50 Much easier...Now I wait to hear about the biopsies. :-)

Last edited by CaliforniaGal; 08-27-2016 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Need to add....

Old 08-27-2016, 03:07 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
I've had twilight with my two. I've talked to people who've not had any sedation, and they said it was pretty painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement