Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:36 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

As we age, we all acquire various possessions and documents that we do not want to part with, are important, and need to keep safe.

My grandmother recently needed to update her will - however, she was unable to find a hard copy of it. There weren't any electronic copies of it as it hadn't been updated in over a decade and she has no computer. There were no additional paper copies either. Luckily, it was found in this chair like thing my grandfather put stuff of importance in - the back of the seat tilted back toward the wearer and there was a storage compartment underneath. The will, along with a title to a long gone car that I inherited upon his death (and which was hell to get a title to) were in there, along with various tax documents and other items.

Where do you store documents, pictures, whatever, that is important, necessary, and/or valuable to you? Do you keep them in the house, a safe deposit box, or have any offsite backups? How would you recover should these things be unavailable or something happen to you? Could others find and utilize this stuff effectively?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 04:36 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Logical places, and those who will need to access them after our deaths are all aware of the spots. One recent suggestion from our Daughter-In-Law was to include a list of account log-ins and pass words with these documents - and to keep it updated!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 AM

100 posts, read 88,610 times
Since my wife and I travel a lot together, there is a chance that due to some accident we could pass at around the same time. So with that in mind, I made what I call a love box for all our important documents. It is a fire proof box and in it is all the usual stuff, copies of our wills, deed to the house, vehicle titles, etc. In addition, I wrote a letter to my sons that I have placed in the box and update annually. In the letter is all the information that they will need to take care of stuff such as location and account numbers of checking and savings accounts, names, phone numbers and account numbers of mutual funds, name and number of our financial advisor, life insurance information; anything I could think of that they might need to close everything out. I also included user names and passwords of all the on-line stuff. I have talked to them about it and showed them where it is so in the event of our passing, they know exactly where to go and what to do.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:12 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
we have 2 places. My wife keeps financial records (paid bills, tax documents etc) in a desk drawer and she has them very well organized. I keep things like birth certificate, DD214, Social Security and Medicare papers in a 'grab n go' metal box in the closet in our office.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:47 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,237 times
In a firebox.

But my outlaws (former in-laws) kept their wills in the refrigerator under the crisper drawer! lol Their thinking was that refrigerator contents were safe from fire.

Stratman has the right idea though....concerning a letter with directions.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:02 AM

11,123 posts, read 9,756,639 times
We bought a used safe at a garage sale, huge thing about 3 feet tall. It weighs well over 200 pounds, so no worries about theft, and it's kept in a big storage closet that we have. The combo is kept elsewhere in the house. I guess I should give the combo to a next of kin or something, since they won't know where to look for the combo and the passwords.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:27 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
I have a couple of drawers for papers and a box with 3x5 index cards with important passwords on each card so my sister can log onto a couple of websites. I saw a journal advertised in a catalogue that was called "I'm Dead, Now What?"

It's divided into sections that tell the reader pertinent information to tying things up for the deceased. I'm going to buy that.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:16 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
In a firebox.
Yes, a small safe that is fire rated.

I used to use safe deposit box but as banks have changed they are harder to get and can be pretty inconvenient ro use.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
Since my wife and I travel a lot together, there is a chance that due to some accident we could pass at around the same time. So with that in mind, I made what I call a love box for all our important documents. It is a fire proof box and in it is all the usual stuff, copies of our wills, deed to the house, vehicle titles, etc. In addition, I wrote a letter to my sons that I have placed in the box and update annually. In the letter is all the information that they will need to take care of stuff such as location and account numbers of checking and savings accounts, names, phone numbers and account numbers of mutual funds, name and number of our financial advisor, life insurance information; anything I could think of that they might need to close everything out. I also included user names and passwords of all the on-line stuff. I have talked to them about it and showed them where it is so in the event of our passing, they know exactly where to go and what to do.
We've done the same thing and do an annual review and update for our heirs eventual benefit, but also to track our own retirement planning and ensure everything is still on track. We use the bookcase and online files, but should probably consider a fireproof box.

We store-up our really important treasure ... in heaven (where moth and rust don't destroy and thieves don't break-in and steal).

Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
It's great to have a place for all this stuff...of course the right people have to know where it is and it helps if it's in a convenient enough place so you update everything as often as needed. Passwords often require being changed more and more frequently...accounts close and new accounts are opened. Make the changes as manageable as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement