Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times

Advertisements

oh, gee, I thought you dreamt about new threads to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 01:09 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
That's funny, I'm working and dreaming about retirement.

The timing of seeing this is serendipity…..I LITERALLY could NOT sleep last night, because my brain was spinning about retirement planning: when to sell the house, how to plan to move, timing a payout, applying for Medicare. And I have 9 and 1/4 years to go!!
Didn't fall asleep until 5a this morning! (of course I work until midnight so I'm normally up late anyway. But still…5a?)

Old 09-13-2016, 01:54 PM

232 posts, read 348,607 times
I worked for the post office for 24 years. When I accepted the early out incentive at 53, I walked out of the door and never looked back. I did ebay for a while and drove to another post office to mail them, so I wouldn't have to set foot in my old office.

I have never dreamed about the place or the people and have never gone back. It wasn't bad enough to haunt me and wasn't good enough to miss. That chapter is closed and I enjoy every day, even the ones where I don't do anything but hang out on the computer and play with the dog.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 PM

538 posts, read 539,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
oh, gee, I thought you dreamt about new threads to start.
Ouch!

Old 09-13-2016, 02:23 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
My dreams about when I worked are mostly nightmares. I prefer retirement. I can go fishing and have a beer on a Tuesday afternoon.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
Ouch!

Oh now, it's all in jest..

Old 09-13-2016, 03:00 PM

54 posts, read 56,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
I worked for the post office for 24 years. When I accepted the early out incentive at 53, I walked out of the door and never looked back. I did ebay for a while and drove to another post office to mail them, so I wouldn't have to set foot in my old office.

I have never dreamed about the place or the people and have never gone back. It wasn't bad enough to haunt me and wasn't good enough to miss. That chapter is closed and I enjoy every day, even the ones where I don't do anything but hang out on the computer and play with the dog.
I can't relate to that. were your social skills so poor that you did not like visiting with your coworkers when you were there? To me having such a wide ranging group of people to talk to that I would never had a chance to meet without the job, was so great. I miss my coworkers.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:21 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Guru View Post
Since I retired and since I passed sixty years old, I just can't get over that I am that old and am retired. It was just yesterday that my folks were helping me with my career plans and job applications. It was just yesterday I was in Vo Tech learning a trade.

Recently I have been having lots of dreams that seem so real where I am in my twenties just brand new in the adult world and interacting with old bosses, coworkers and friends from that era. My home town is just like it was back then, a simple time in America. My folks were still alive and in those dreams I was close pals with my now deceased brother.

Do all these dreams about my life in the 1970s tell me that live was better when I was young and working?

Now that you are retired, do you have lots of dreams about life as a worker?
You are retired. You are not old.

Perhaps the dreams of your 1970s life is a reminder of things you thought you would do in your life but never got a chance to. Now that you are retired, you have the chance to do those things you may have dreamed about when young. [ or maybe you have recently been looking at old pictures? ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Guru View Post
I can't relate to that. were your social skills so poor that you did not like visiting with your coworkers when you were there? To me having such a wide ranging group of people to talk to that I would never had a chance to meet without the job, was so great. I miss my coworkers.
Sounds like you need to get into activities with other people. Take some classes if you want interesting people to talk to who share your interest in whatever the class is about.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:40 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,646,222 times
Dreams are more about your unconscious mind. It's not usually something you consciously decide to dream about. Perfectly normal to dream about your work life even many years after you no longer work at a job. I dreamed about working just recently and it wasn't a good dream...bad day at work. It actually made me happy when I woke up, glad I no longer have those bad days at work.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:41 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
Heck I longed for the good old days when I WAS working... I retired at 55 and the only reason I did was because of the way I was treated.... Had I been treated better I would still be working...

I have never had even the desire to go back and see anyone.... I just keep doing what I do.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement