Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:01 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
I don't see this option. Was it on the paperwork you received?

Yes. I assume we have the same company -- Long Term Care Partners with a PO address in Greenland, NH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 AM

236 posts, read 251,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Yes. I assume we have the same company -- Long Term Care Partners with a PO address in Greenland, NH?
Yes, I think so. You know, the paperwork said it was a 'personalized' option. I didn't believe that, but maybe it is!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:40 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
Yes, I think so. You know, the paperwork said it was a 'personalized' option. I didn't believe that, but maybe it is!

Have another look. We are signed up for $100 day, 3% increase/yr. Not a lot of money, but we think it might be enough with our federal retirement, savings, and ss.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:06 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
So this is hardly an exhaustive analysis, but if you don't maintain your coverage at current levels you will be saving $1800 per year (not paying the increased premiums), and you would lose $82/day in benefits ($210 - $128), If you divide the $1800 by $82, it works out to 22 days. So, in rough terms, it only takes spending 22 days in a nursing home where you have to put out $82/day (out of pocket) to end up spending more than the premium saved. It is a pretty short period of time to recover your increased premiums. Not sure what your financial resources are to absorb the premium increase, but I's probably pay it if I could afford it.
This is true, but must be weighted by the odds that you'd ever use the policy. Most people still don't. It also assumes you needed the payout in one year. What about 10 years from now? 222 days, and that's ignoring the time value of money.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:13 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,411,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This is true, but must be weighted by the odds that you'd ever use the policy. Most people still don't. It also assumes you needed the payout in one year. What about 10 years from now? 222 days, and that's ignoring the time value of money.
Which is why I said it was hardly an exhaustive analysis. I was merely trying to give a very basic characterization of the cost increase relative to the lost benefits. I think it conveyed the point about how quickly one could (could not will) quickly recoup the increased premium costs if one required long term care. I look forward to seeing your probability-based discounted cash flow analysis demonstrating the correct answer for the OP.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:56 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
^ why would I do such a financial model without having any definitive information? You must be joking, or you think financial modeling is a waste of time.

And, for your information, DCF is just one tool in financial modeling. An important part, but not everything. It's often done badly anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement