Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:22 AM

236 posts, read 251,397 times

Advertisements

I have until tomorrow to decide if I want to drop my coverage to preserve my premium rates for federal employee LTC insurance. Anyone have suggestions or opinions? Premiums increasing $150 a month for both. Husband is older than me (70) but in better health. His premium is increasing more on a dollar basis, but mine is increasing by a higher percentage. My gut is to suck up the rate increase and keep coverage the same. The coverage we have now pays $210 a day for a max of five years, and a dollar limit of about 338K. If we keep premiums the same, coverage drops to $128/day with a max payout of $234K. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
I recently received a brochure of local Elder Care facilities, CCRC, Assisted Living, Nursing Home, etc. 2016 prices. These facilities all charged in excess of $275/day for Nursing Home level care. Check prices in your area but the increase in premiums may be cheap if either you or your husband need to use these services.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
Much depends on your individual financial circumstances. How much is protecting your estate worth to you? How much estate do you have to protect? Can your spouse rely on children if one of you is forced to spend down assets?

Put another way, LTC insurance is more of a tool in estate planning than pure insurance, IMHO.

LTC insurance has turned out to be a real mess in these days of low investment income. The latter has hit insurers hard, leading to the price increases.

You should also review your policy to see if it has any "gotcha" that might reduce its value to you.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:31 AM

3,279 posts, read 1,415,606 times
So this is hardly an exhaustive analysis, but if you don't maintain your coverage at current levels you will be saving $1800 per year (not paying the increased premiums), and you would lose $82/day in benefits ($210 - $128), If you divide the $1800 by $82, it works out to 22 days. So, in rough terms, it only takes spending 22 days in a nursing home where you have to put out $82/day (out of pocket) to end up spending more than the premium saved. It is a pretty short period of time to recover your increased premiums. Not sure what your financial resources are to absorb the premium increase, but I's probably pay it if I could afford it.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:43 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
We compromised by reducing our 4% automatic increase per year by 1%, but otherwise kept the same coverage.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Much depends on your individual financial circumstances. How much is protecting your estate worth to you? How much estate do you have to protect? Can your spouse rely on children if one of you is forced to spend down assets?

Put another way, LTC insurance is more of a tool in estate planning than pure insurance, IMHO.

LTC insurance has turned out to be a real mess in these days of low investment income. The latter has hit insurers hard, leading to the price increases.

You should also review your policy to see if it has any "gotcha" that might reduce its value to you.
No value to us for protection of assets. No children. Estate largely going to charity. Biggest concern for both of us is staying out of skilled nursing facilities as long as possible. Quality of life.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
We compromised by reducing our 4% automatic increase per year by 1%, but otherwise kept the same coverage.
I don't see this option. Was it on the paperwork you received?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
So this is hardly an exhaustive analysis, but if you don't maintain your coverage at current levels you will be saving $1800 per year (not paying the increased premiums), and you would lose $82/day in benefits ($210 - $128), If you divide the $1800 by $82, it works out to 22 days. So, in rough terms, it only takes spending 22 days in a nursing home where you have to put out $82/day (out of pocket) to end up spending more than the premium saved. It is a pretty short period of time to recover your increased premiums. Not sure what your financial resources are to absorb the premium increase, but I's probably pay it if I could afford it.
Helpful, thanks to you and the others for responding. Helpful info for us as we think this through. I think we are going to absorb the higher premiums. We can afford it for now. I think we can reduce coverage in the future if we need to, but can't easily increase it.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
I have until tomorrow to decide if I want to drop my coverage to preserve my premium rates for federal employee LTC insurance. Anyone have suggestions or opinions? Premiums increasing $150 a month for both. Husband is older than me (70) but in better health. His premium is increasing more on a dollar basis, but mine is increasing by a higher percentage. My gut is to suck up the rate increase and keep coverage the same. The coverage we have now pays $210 a day for a max of five years, and a dollar limit of about 338K. If we keep premiums the same, coverage drops to $128/day with a max payout of $234K. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
What will affect your quality of life more, $300 a month now or the loss of $338,000? I have CalPers LTCi lifetime policy. I assumed $10,000 premiums the first ten years and double every decade. I am approaching my third decade and just started paying $4,000 a year. So probably $70,000 in premiums over 30 years for a gold standard policy. If I never use it it has provided the safety net to invest more aggressively.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:49 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Duplicate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement