Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 12:16 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times

Advertisements

We have had our land line phone number for over 40 years, but seldom use the hard-wired instruments. We dropped long distance service on this line a few years ago, using only our Cells for those calls.

We are fed up with paying for a land line, yet realize there are a few distant relatives and long term friends no longer in the area who may only know our house number. This makes dropping the number entirely a problematic decision.

I called our phone carrier seeking additional discounts or plan revisions to drop the cost of our monthly bill. No good option, other than converting our house phone number to celluar. But that would result in a third cell, although it could be permanently placed on a desk rather than carrying it. This conversion would decrease our bill by 80%, asuming we owned thiscthird cell phone rather than leasing one from the cell service provider.

I thought this might be an option for us, provided I could find and buy a desktop cellular phone. Bigger buttons and screen, full time wall wart for power, no need to carry it, etc.

I googled "desk top cell phone" and got zip zero results. Has anyone else faced this same dilemma, opted for a cellular conversion of tbeir long time home telephone number, and found a suitable fixed instrument?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 12:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
You could change your cell number to your 'previous' land line number, or use the old number as a forwarding to your cell (if you can continue to own the number).

You are really lucky to have dependable cell service!!! <50% of the USA land mass does not have that option. (Nor are the land lines kept in service). It takes months to get our land line fixed, as no companies have the direct staff to do that. Usually a mouse eating the wires, So I have to go up and down the road checking each terminal tower for a dial tione and report to the provider specifically where the problem is.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:30 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Who or what provides Internet service to your house ?

FiberOptic, coax cable, DSL, satellite ??
If Fiber or coax, see if that provider offers Telephone voice service (aka VoIP), either with a modem/router that provides a phone jack, or an add-on VoIP adapter.

If this available, and they can port over the old POTS line number, you can re-use your existing desk phones.

BTDT with Comcast/Xfinity coax service.

POTS = Plain Old Telephone Service

Old 02-10-2023, 12:46 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We have had our land line phone number for over 40 years, but seldom use the hard-wired instruments. We dropped long distance service on this line a few years ago, using only our Cells for those calls.

We are fed up with paying for a land line, yet realize there are a few distant relatives and long term friends no longer in the area who may only know our house number. This makes dropping the number entirely a problematic decision.

I called our phone carrier seeking additional discounts or plan revisions to drop the cost of our monthly bill. No good option, other than converting our house phone number to celluar. But that would result in a third cell, although it could be permanently placed on a desk rather than carrying it. This conversion would decrease our bill by 80%, asuming we owned thiscthird cell phone rather than leasing one from the cell service provider.

I thought this might be an option for us, provided I could find and buy a desktop cellular phone. Bigger buttons and screen, full time wall wart for power, no need to carry it, etc.

I googled "desk top cell phone" and got zip zero results. Has anyone else faced this same dilemma, opted for a cellular conversion of tbeir long time home telephone number, and found a suitable fixed instrument?
Just call those that call your land line and give them your new number.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:50 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

is there some reason you cannot call distant relatives and give them your new number?

Old 02-10-2023, 01:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
is there some reason you cannot call distant relatives and give them your new number?
or... send them a Valentine!!!

I've sent mine
https://loveland.org/programs/valent...iling-program/

Old 02-10-2023, 01:59 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
My internet/cable provider basically throws a land line in for little to no money so I keep it. If it was costing me money, I would drop it. The one thing I do like about it is I have a phone in every room whereas I do not always carry my cell phone with me from room to room.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:38 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Verizon has a black box that connects your current house phone (not a cell phone) to the cell tower for land line service. No text messages etc. About $22 a month.

Old 02-10-2023, 04:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
You can get a VoIP line with Ooma for $6/mo.

Old 02-10-2023, 04:24 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My internet/cable provider basically throws a land line in for little to no money so I keep it. If it was costing me money, I would drop it. The one thing I do like about it is I have a phone in every room whereas I do not always carry my cell phone with me from room to room.
Always good to have a landline IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement