Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 07:10 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You can get a VoIP line with Ooma for $6/mo.
I've had Ooma for several years. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I'm keeping my POTS copper wire land line because it is needed for my monitored burglar/fire alarm, and also because unlike cell phones that usually fail with a major power outage (the cell phone itself will work without mains power, but the towers won't - most have backup for a few hours but after that no mas).
Most alarm systems will work with cellular. You may need an adapter.

Just because you have a landline, you are not necessary directly connected to the Central Office. Unless you are within ~18,000 feet, you will probable be served via a remote. While the main CO has extensive battery backup (and often a gen set), remotes, just like cellular sites, are typically only configured with 8-hour battery backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 07:27 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Thanks for the ideas!
I hadn't even thought of VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol), mostly because that was considered cutting edge 20 years ago and I wasn't sure it still existed. Although that is obviously how internet providers offer telephone service. But how do I transition a phone number? Do the FCC Regs which mandate freedom to move numbers from one cell phone provider to another also permit land-line to VOIP phone number transfer?

I will research that, but moving phone service from AT&T to Comcast is akin chosing how you want to be executed; Axe or Guillotine? I didn't share that we will be making major changes to our CATV also. These changes may affect availability of VOIP.

Regardless, thanks for the ideas.
VOIP simply needs internet. Any provider, any speed. Whatever changes you make, you're going to continue having internet, right?

Old 02-11-2023, 07:29 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Thanks for the ideas!
I hadn't even thought of VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol), mostly because that was considered cutting edge 20 years ago and I wasn't sure it still existed. Although that is obviously how internet providers offer telephone service. But how do I transition a phone number? Do the FCC Regs which mandate freedom to move numbers from one cell phone provider to another also permit land-line to VOIP phone number transfer?

I will research that, but moving phone service from AT&T to Comcast is akin chosing how you want to be executed; Axe or Guillotine? I didn't share that we will be making major changes to our CATV also. These changes may affect availability of VOIP.

Regardless, thanks for the ideas.
I ported my AT&T landline phone number over to Ooma. I don't remember exactly how, but I think I had to complete an online authorization form with Ooma, then they arranged for the switch.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:40 AM

17 posts, read 9,502 times
I ported my landline to Google Voice many years ago for a one time $20 fee. I then call-forwarded that number to my cellphone#. Solved!

Old 02-11-2023, 07:45 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
You could port it over to google voice and then hook it up to an ooma unit. Free voip service.

It will be slightly convoluted but you can't port a landline to google voice. What you will need to do is port your landline to a mobile number and THEN port it to google voice. The port fee is 20 bucks.

What I would do is ask your cell provider for a third line without actually buying a phone. As soon as it was active I would port it over to Google voice and then cancel it. Obviously, you would want to make sure you don't have to have a contract for the new line.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:01 AM

563 posts, read 956,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My internet/cable provider basically throws a land line in for little to no money so I keep it. If it was costing me money, I would drop it.
Internet/cable companies are offering VoIP service, not a land line.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:27 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Internet/cable companies are offering VoIP service, not a land line.
NOT true!!

Old 02-11-2023, 09:28 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
NOT true!!
Provide an example of a cable company offering a land line that is not VOIP.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:33 AM

1,492 posts, read 797,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Always good to have a landline IMO.
Why? Cell service is very reliable.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:48 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
I have been asked who is my cable provider. Spectrum is the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement