Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 AM

236 posts, read 159,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Well considering that 50% of the people retire with less $100K in retirement I think that is lots for an average person to be paying. I doubt that the average person spends more then $275-$300 eating out.
Perhaps people of higher income do but not the average person in America. It is hard call and very few
people are going to buy LTCI at 48. I know there are some but a small percentage.
A couple who expects to retire with less than $100K in assets probably should NOT buy LTCi unless they are married and one spouse has a large pension that the other spouse is dependent upon. In that case, the spouse with the large pension should own LTC insurance in order to protect that income for the other spouse.

Anyone who can easily qualify for Medicaid should NEVER buy LTCi.

A couple, both aged 48, could share $250K of LTC insurance benefits for about $52 per month per spouse. Very affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 08:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCShop View Post
A couple who expects to retire with less than $100K in assets probably should NOT buy LTCi unless they are married and one spouse has a large pension that the other spouse is dependent upon. In that case, the spouse with the large pension should own LTC insurance in order to protect that income for the other spouse.

Anyone who can easily qualify for Medicaid should NEVER buy LTCi.

A couple, both aged 48, could share $250K of LTC insurance benefits for about $52 per month per spouse. Very affordable.
Is LTCi only really needed to prevent impoverishment of a spouse? That seems to be the major concern...no one buys it for themselves if they are single? Because they can deplete their funds and just go on Medicaid...but that isn't acceptable for a widowed spouse situation?

Last edited by reneeh63; 06-05-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-05-2017, 08:36 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Medicaid here in ny can send you to an open bed up to 100 miles away from family . that would be horrible to me . i would want to first try for in home care to avoid a home if i had a say in it . medicaid makes that choice for you .

Old 06-05-2017, 12:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
I'm single and I will never include Medicaid in any of my plans. I'll pay for the LTCi.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:04 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we bought our nys partnership plan not for the 3 years insurance . but the perks after the insurance ends .

modified medicaid picks up the bills with no asset shifting ,look backs ,spending down assets or restricted income on the stay at home spouse . there are no trusts need that cuts a spouse off from assets either .

many , nice , private homes will accept you as a paying customer and later take medicaid .

if medicaid is typically needed the stay at home spouse is reduced to what could be an impoverished income even though you may have preserved assets .

so to us this was a great deal .. we could easily fund the 3 years insurance on our own , but these perks were priceless .
So, if I understand correctly, having LTC policies can protect the assets of the non sick spouse? This is the info I need to know. I was just looking around the forum to ask the question of what to do now to plan for protecting assets in the future. This may not be the correct thread to ask these questions. I am in my mid fifties and plan on getting married in a year. I have 401k savings and a small mutual funds acct and my fiancée makes a nice living as a CPA with a healthy financial portfolio. Obviously, he does financial planning and will know certain things to do but I still worry a lot about the future. Take LTC insurance for example, I know nothing about how it works, how expensive it is, how to obtain coverage or what to look for.

Mathjak I respect your opinion on retirement strategies and would like to know what things you have done and would suggest doing to protect assets in the future.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:11 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
only state partnership plans protect assets once the insurance runs out and maybe income but not regular ltc plans .
once regular ltc runs out game over .

what assets are protected vary by state . ny has plans that protect all assets and all income .

states are realizing that having two people end up impoverished and on public welfare is worse than allowing medicaid to pick up the tab for just one . so they are coming up with partnership plans to help the stay at home spouse remain solvent .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-07-2017 at 03:47 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 04:16 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
So, if I understand correctly, having LTC policies can protect the assets of the non sick spouse? This is the info I need to know. I was just looking around the forum to ask the question of what to do now to plan for protecting assets in the future. This may not be the correct thread to ask these questions. I am in my mid fifties and plan on getting married in a year. I have 401k savings and a small mutual funds acct and my fiancée makes a nice living as a CPA with a healthy financial portfolio. Obviously, he does financial planning and will know certain things to do but I still worry a lot about the future. Take LTC insurance for example, I know nothing about how it works, how expensive it is, how to obtain coverage or what to look for.

Mathjak I respect your opinion on retirement strategies and would like to know what things you have done and would suggest doing to protect assets in the future.

Sweet*Tea no this is the exact forum to ask these questions. You can go back using the search and find many threads on LTC and read the varied posts and comments on them. Having a policy can help. Living in a state like NY with partnerships are great but we all don't live there. The one factor that does help in all circumstances is to have a plan. That does not mean having a policy. It does mean that you and your family sit down and talk about the plan. What happens in a situation that requires someone to need in home or out of home care over a longer period of time. Policies will pay not just for nursing but for in home care as well. They are pricey as you will find out the older you are. Once you start paying those premiums you will need to continue. It is like all insurance policies. You pay those payments so when you need it the policy is ready to pay off.

Another thing on this topic is if you do have a policy you will need to be prepared to fork out the first couple of months or more as the claim takes time to process. Meantime you or your husband may be in immediate need of that care. That is why having a plan is paramount to all other considerations. Knowing what needs to be done if X Y or Z happens. You most likely will need to react quickly after a catastrophic event so having an emergency fund to be able to cover the unexpected is critical too.

You will find that many here if you do some reading are self insuring. Some are in denial saying that they have a .38 caliber bullet with LTC written on it. I think that is flippant but it is what they said. Then we have our resident LTC experts and those with estates big enough to protect yet too small to feel comfortable to self insure.

If you want to know my wife and I have decided we will self insure. Our LTC money if needed is our home. We are in a home too big for us in the future and we have other plans on where to live. We do not have a huge nest egg but we have a steady solid income that can provide us with more than enough to do what we want. We also have a decent emergency fund that we can tap at any time and for any reason if the same of the house has not started. We both know where all the money is and how it is accessed.

I started this last year.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...hey-going.html

Old 06-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Sweet*Tea no this is the exact forum to ask these questions. You can go back using the search and find many threads on LTC and read the varied posts and comments on them. Having a policy can help. Living in a state like NY with partnerships are great but we all don't live there. The one factor that does help in all circumstances is to have a plan. That does not mean having a policy. It does mean that you and your family sit down and talk about the plan. What happens in a situation that requires someone to need in home or out of home care over a longer period of time. Policies will pay not just for nursing but for in home care as well. They are pricey as you will find out the older you are. Once you start paying those premiums you will need to continue. It is like all insurance policies. You pay those payments so when you need it the policy is ready to pay off.

Another thing on this topic is if you do have a policy you will need to be prepared to fork out the first couple of months or more as the claim takes time to process. Meantime you or your husband may be in immediate need of that care. That is why having a plan is paramount to all other considerations. Knowing what needs to be done if X Y or Z happens. You most likely will need to react quickly after a catastrophic event so having an emergency fund to be able to cover the unexpected is critical too.

You will find that many here if you do some reading are self insuring. Some are in denial saying that they have a .38 caliber bullet with LTC written on it. I think that is flippant but it is what they said. Then we have our resident LTC experts and those with estates big enough to protect yet too small to feel comfortable to self insure.

If you want to know my wife and I have decided we will self insure. Our LTC money if needed is our home. We are in a home too big for us in the future and we have other plans on where to live. We do not have a huge nest egg but we have a steady solid income that can provide us with more than enough to do what we want. We also have a decent emergency fund that we can tap at any time and for any reason if the same of the house has not started. We both know where all the money is and how it is accessed.

I started this last year.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...hey-going.html

how much is your home worth?

Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCShop View Post
how much is your home worth?
Between 400 and 500k

Old 06-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Between 400 and 500k
no mortgage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement