Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:11 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,321,319 times

Advertisements

Dont know about weight training, but I did seven miles today, even ran more than half of them. I'm amazed that I could do this after five sessions of brisk walking with new group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 PM

10,387 posts, read 8,627,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
I started out balance and strength training in Jan 16 because I have osteoporosis and I wanted to do everything possible to lower my risk of breaking a bone. I worked with a personal trainer with a background in physical therapy to insure I was doing exercises correctly and to learn what exercises not to do.

I am 69, female and weigh 110 pounds. I had no upper body strength and very little leg strength 15 months ago.

When I started I could only do a seated leg press for a set of 10 with 25 pounds. Today I can do 170 pounds. My 1rm ( one rep maximum) is twice my bodyweight - considered good for a 20 something.

My wrists were so weak I struggled to do a wrist curl with a 3 pound dumbbell. Today, I use a fixed wrist roller you attach on a rack at shoulder height and I just moved up to wrist rolling a 53 pound kettle bell. That is 48% of my body weight. The average person is considered strong if they can wrist roll 15% of their body weight. I will match my hand grip, wrist and forearm strength against anyone of any age at my gym.

Two months ago I started indoor rock climbing on the 34' high rock climbing wall at my gym. I climb 3x's a week. It uses a combination of balance, leg and arm strength.

It is never to late to start exercising and you don't know how much stronger you can get until you try.
Good for you. This should be inspirational for those who think it's too late to start working out

Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 PM

37,744 posts, read 46,207,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
According to this anyway.

Can You Regain Muscle Mass After Age 60?

\https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...2&kwp_1=590572

Of course you can.

MEET ERNESTINE | Ernestine Shepherd

Old 03-25-2017, 02:26 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,450,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Dont know about weight training, but I did seven miles today, even ran more than half of them. I'm amazed that I could do this after five sessions of brisk walking with new group.
i run 5 miles every other day . it is amazing that i can do this today . i would get winded running 5 minutes 15 years ago .

since i started running 3 years ago i got off all meds for pressure ,lipitor and diabetes . i did lots of cardio prior to running but it really had little effect . it wasn't until i took it up a level to running that the differences came in to play . i will be 65

Old 03-25-2017, 05:29 AM

4,929 posts, read 2,719,625 times
use it or lose it...

Quote:
Muscles are made up of thousands of individual muscle fibers. Each muscle fiber is innervated by a single nerve. With aging, humans lose the nerves that innervate muscle fibers and with each nerve loss, they lose the associated muscle fiber. For example, the vastus medialis muscle in the front of your thigh contains approximately 800,000 muscle fibers when you are 20 years old, but by age 60, it will have only about 250,000 fibers. The average person loses about eight percent of muscle size in the decade between 40 and 50 years of age, and the rate of loss increases to 15 percent per decade after age 75 (J Am Geriatr Soc, March 2003;51(3):323-30). You can slow the loss of muscle fibers as you age and can enlarge the remaining muscle fibers by exercising against resistance, but you cannot increase the number of fibers once they are lost (The Journals of Gerontology, August 2012).
the above quote came form this link..this guy gives pretty good advise..you can sign up for his email news letters..

Dr. Gabe Mirkin on Health, Fitness and Nutrition. | Retaining Strength with Aging

Old 03-25-2017, 06:35 AM

40,992 posts, read 49,359,544 times
I've also added Yoga to my exercise routine. Best thing ever for us old guys and not as easy as one would think.

Gonna go this morning.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,427,551 times
Absolutely you can gain muscle. And it helps even more if you are on testosterone replacement, which many men over 60 may benefit from.

My Dad is now 74, and his upper body strength from weight lifting is the best it has been in his life.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:10 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,634,530 times
My wife is an exercise physiologist and really knows her stuff. I have worked out since I was 14. Here is our opinion you need to watch your shoulders and elbows because if you try to lift heavy as you age there is a good chance you will injure one or the other- usually a shoulder.

My wife also says she does not care if you work out an hour a day it does not make up for a poor diet and sitting a significant period of time.

As we age we cannot make up for a poor diet and being sedentary with just an hour working out.

I did a test with my fitbit. If I am not sitting but generally moving casual around I burn about 120-140 calories an hour. If I workout for an hour including abs, warm up, lifting, aerobic exercise and stretching/cool down I burn about 500 calories so an extra 370 calories which over 23 other hours can easily be given back.

She says do chores, take the dog for a walk, weed, stand do all types of small things can easily surpass the hour of exercise.

She is 60 and weighs 105 pounds

Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,450,648 times
anything we do daily in our lives is really not exercise once the body adjusts .

walking , carrying grocery's , etc all become just routine and stop the growth .

a ditch digger will never become any stronger than it takes to lift that shovel .

so true exercise differs because it continually forces the body to grow . even my running has to always be adjusted higher . once i get used to that level my heart rate drops and i no longer work in the zone i want to be in .

Old 03-26-2017, 04:08 AM

23,176 posts, read 26,275,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
My wife is an exercise physiologist and really knows her stuff.

She says do chores, take the dog for a walk, weed, stand do all types of small things can easily surpass the hour of exercise.

She is 60 and weighs 105 pounds
Along with
" You can slow the loss of muscle fibers as you age and can enlarge the remaining muscle fibers by exercising against resistance, but you cannot increase the number of fibers once they are lost "

Sounds like advise that might convince me I can only maintain but not improve so not to bother going up to the exercise room today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement