Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:22 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times

Advertisements

They're getting older yes, but they aren't dead. They still have to be the champions of their own cause and cant count on anybody to bail them out. If that means they have to sell houses and take lower paying work to keep their heads above water, that's what it means. It's going to be a tough situation to deal with though if they've spent their lives making bad financial moves. Usually you're fighting against an entitlement mentality with people like that. Help them out if you can here and there but you can't turn you own life upside down because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
Just curious what your wife would say if it was HER parents? would it cost her her marriage?
Ehh, lets not ask questions we don't really want the answer to.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You didn't really give any information. Age, income, assets(equity - I assume zero?) , expenses etc.

The emotional stuff isn't the issue; the practical stuff being resolved solves the emotional stuff.

If they worked their entire lives, they should have enough Social Security to live and apply for low income senior income based housing. You pay a percent of your income and you qualify by checking your income against the Average Median Income for your county. Certain percentages below the average qualify you for various buildings depending on how the company set up the Plan with HUD and financing etc. You just speak with the leasing agent and they do all the "qualifying" with you. Just like moving into any other place.

They're very cheap AND typically VERY nice. Sell and move.

Even if someone only gets a meager 10K or whatever per year, there is housing for them. I'd be looking at places that don't require cars, too.

Taking SS at age 62 penalizes you 25% but perhaps that'll be "better" long term as it will qualify them for housing and benefits where waiting for full retirement age of 65 or 66 is just throwing money away on those houses and mortgages anyway. You can work all you want if you're full retirement age. Someone needs to evaluate all this.

The REAL problem starts when they are unable to care for themselves and need to go to Medicaid taxpayer supported Skilled Nursing facilities, but refuse.

Are they sober? If not, there's nothing you can do anyway for real.
Not to mention you can still work part time on the books and make up to $16,920 in 2017 without penalty even while collecting SS. Assuming somebody had nothing but did always work and pay FICA for 40+ years you would be in no danger of starving to death or going without medical care.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:31 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Wow.

I moved away from my hometown a long time ago. I moved to Southern California, have since planted roots and started a family, and we are able to support ourselves financially. Reason I mention this though, is because space is a premium out here.

Now on to my parents. They have both just reached retirement age, but they spent their life making horrible financial decisions, they divorced a few years ago, now they are also getting sick and they are broke. They were both coincidentally laid off from their jobs at the same time last year, they both still have their mortgages, and they don't have any prospects of gainful employment nor do they have significant retirement savings.

Like I said, I'm too far away from them to take care of them, I dont have much to help them, and I can't move back there. My famity and career are rooted here.

My parents would have no way to financially support themselves in Southern California. My father has become extremely argumentative and bitter. He can not live with me. My mother is very intrusive and almost parasitic.

I love my parents, I mentally feel as though I'll be turning my back on them, but I cannot support them and if they live with me it would cost me my marriage. My wife would rightfully say NO.

What can I do?
How old are they? Too old to make their own decisions? Too old to sell their houses and move someplace cheaper?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,696,291 times
I skipped a lot of the posts but wanted to add to the discussion.

I think it's wonderful you're concerned enough to reach out and want to do something. How many kids think like that, even adult kids. Your wife is lucky and blessed to have you!

If your parents have lived in a community for years, surely they have friends, old co-workers, or neighbors. While those friends may not know details, if they did, I bet they'd step up and at least offer emotional support. Do you know any old neighbors or friends to call? Ask?

While I haven't been in your situation I did deal with parents being out of state. It isn't easy being long distance or out of state when a loved one needs to talk or help. I did a few trips each year to go visit. I was available when they called. Like you I couldn't be there even if I wanted to.

I wonder if they'll listen to your advice. If not then maybe a friend can get through to them. I wish you the best. Do let us know how it goes.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:27 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Love does NOT mean being a doormat. Love does NOT mean abandoning your children and wife to take care of your parents. Love does NOT mean putting yourself into a bad financial situation for your parents. Love does NOT mean you give up your life to take of others.
How sad that there are people who actually have to have this explained to them.

I note that none of the people who are recommending the OP sacrifice his family for his parents have actually done so themselves. Talk is cheap.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM

643 posts, read 330,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
They are still divorced, right? They need to sell their homes or whatever they have mortgaged. Then they need to see a social worker and apply for low income housing for seniors.
this

Old 08-29-2018, 04:46 PM

827 posts, read 587,567 times
Change your address and phone number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement