Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:08 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,885 times

Advertisements

My heart is breaking for a family member who is having to sell the home because they are in financial difficulty and can no longer afford it. Large medical bills and other things caused them to mortgage a formerly mortgage-free home and now they can't afford that and have to sell and move in with a relative. This couple is struggling with health problems and maintenance on the home has been left mostly undone.

DH says this is a wake-up call for him, even though we aren't in the same boat. Now. Who knows what the future might hold?

My kin worked very hard all their working days and from what I saw were responsible with their $. I guess they just did not have enough to make it in the end. We are not close enough to help with maintenance, though we tried a bit one time we were able. And they are so far under water we could not begin to help without sinking us both.

It is just so sad to see. I just know my closest kin will be having a terrible time adjusting to the cleaning out and selling that is quickly coming. I'm praying they survive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Sad story. They needed expert advice and apparently didn't get any. They could most likely have avoided this whole thing by NOT mortgaging the house, and then filing for bankruptcy. Most states have laws that protect your primary residence in bankruptcy. That's a shame.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:45 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,914,319 times
I don't know anything about bankruptcy so I can't comment on the technical issues, but I do know that life can turn on a dime at any time, and I can understand that the OP's heart is breaking. The pain in this world is quite overwhelming. I don't know how the nurses and doctors at children's hospitals cope, for example.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I had 3 USA friends lose their homes / farms to medical expenses.

They died within 2 yrs, the spouse was (still is) homeless.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:38 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,383,576 times
My plan (not sure if it would work), if I were to get suddenly ill would be to legally divorce my Wife and become a ward of the state....if that would work

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,908,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My plan (not sure if it would work), if I were to get suddenly ill would be to legally divorce my Wife and become a ward of the state....if that would work
Timing is the key....if you incur the medical expenses "suddenly" (emergency), if married at that time, any joint property is already at risk against those medical bills.

Better planning is to have health insurance.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:26 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Did they not have health insurance?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:42 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,532,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Timing is the key....if you incur the medical expenses "suddenly" (emergency), if married at that time, any joint property is already at risk against those medical bills.

Better idea is to contact your Congress people both Senators and Representative and advocate for Universal health care like the rest of the developed countries have. Even Mexico has had Universal health care since 2012. Tell your representative to support HR 676. Tell your Senators to work with Bernie Sanders on Universal Health Care. No one should have to go broke because they got sick.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:44 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post

Yes...so simple....HEALTH insurance. Obviously some health insurance covers more than others, has lower deductible and maxes out at a higher amount. Be sure to check out YOUR particulars and see how good it is and then see if you can afford better...you may learn what situations others can be in.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,356 times
Sorry to hear this, Pat. It is hard to watch family suffer and not have the ability to help.

Many people get into trouble by not making very good financial plans or getting into debt, but even very responsible people with savings, insurance, etc., can have problems if the emergency or medical event is big enough.

Sometimes there is nothing that can be done to prevent financial troubles.

Very fortunately, this is rare enough that most people can do things that will help prevent disaster, and Pat's husband is smart to consider these things and want to plan ahead. Most people should increase savings, look at their insurances, eliminate debt, not buy too big houses.

Making plans can prevent many problems or decrease the bad effects if problems happen anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement